vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OK, but why do you think bluffing undermines GTO? Explain what you're thinking. I am not just trying to be obnoxious here. It is an attempt to examine what you are thinking and analyze it.

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
GTO is just math and logic so obviously it is important. The whole "GTO is only for highstakes" argument is just something that bad training sites peddle to their customers because its easier to sell.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you are at the beginner level, I think it is a good help to learn the range of hands, and also you can practice in it, for example, the defense of the BB

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
GTO is about, as I understand it, being non-exploitable. Which can be used to exploit GTO villain. GTO works if you cannot prove that villain plays GTO.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
OK, but why do you think bluffing undermines GTO? Explain what you're thinking. I am not just trying to be obnoxious here. It is an attempt to examine what you are thinking and analyze it.
I created this topic exactly because I don't know much about it, with the intention to learn from comments and from poker experts, like you (seems to be).

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Right, but why do you think bluffing is a problem for it? Say someone makes a GTO optimal decision on the flop (either check or bet) and you decide to bluff by betting or raising 100% of the time in that spot. What problems would that cause for the GTO player?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Right, but why do you think bluffing is a problem for it? Say someone makes a GTO optimal decision on the flop (either check or bet) and you decide to bluff by betting or raising 100% of the time in that spot. What problems would that cause for the GTO player?
My answer to this would be that it is not a problem to GTO but to the player who follows too blindly the math side of GTO.

The GTO player could think - the villain raised, I no longer have good enough odds to call, or he could deviate from GTO and see the situation as it is.
The point is - a plan, any plan - is a bad one if one can't make adjustments to it.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A true GTO play adjusts based on input, and is designed in such a way that you really don't care what your opponent does. You design your range and bet sizes in such a manner that every decision made by the opponent is equal in value to you. A fold is as profitable as a call, for example.

If your opponent deviates from their own GTO play, it can only profit the other player. So, if the GTO play for your opponent involves bluffing 30% of the time and, instead, they bluff 80% of the time then your opponent will be losing money from those extra bluffs. Obviously, if a GTO player were to recognize their opponent was deviating from the right play, the GTO player could make even more money from exploiting the mistake. But, even if they choose not to exploit that deviance, they will make more money from the deviation than if the opponent had played correctly.

When facing a raise, the GTO player will have a range of hands that reraises, a range that calls, and a range that folds (with some variation based on sizing). If the other player is bluffing too much, they win some extra from the folding range but lose even more to the calling and raising ranges. And the ranges are balanced so that the opponent can't just exploit them from a simple change like bluffing more.

Furthermore, GTO understanding is extremely helpful for recognizing when an opponent is making mistakes. If you know an opponent should defend 73% of the time in a specific spot but they only defend 60% of the time, you can then exploit that mistake. You won't be playing GTO at that moment, but your profit comes from understanding the theoretical correct move your opponent should make and recognizing that he isn't making it.

GTO is a framework for understanding what the correct move should be, to make it impossible for your opponent to make extra profit from one response compared to another. This is why I said your statement about bluffing ruining GTO makes it seem like you don't understand. You expect your opponent to bluff a certain amount, it is the right response. If they bluff less than that, you profit. If they bluff more than that, you profit.

K

kostja007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should know what GTO is and using GTO as a basic. Playing GTO means you will beat every stake from NL2 to NL1000, but it does not means that you will make the most money or the highest bb/100 winnings. You should use it as a basic strategy and playing exploit against villains.

Top 10 Games