Are freerolls really an indicator of success?

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its great for finding leaks

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those pokerstars freerolls are indicator of luck in most cases, just think with me, a tournament that blinds go up every 5 minutes, and has like at least 7000 players, will really tell you something about skill, well, for the first 40 minutes can tell you something , but when blinds are low, playing hard is not profitable, you just get involved in many pots and can risk everything with the chance of earnin nothing.
But i wont tell you not to play freerolls, in fact i would recommend you to do it, so you can see the level of players you will play against in the microstakes and as it goes on you will easily beat them

L

Lilbrown92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think freerolls are an indicator of success although there are some good players that manage to succeed. I would say that freerolls are mostly about luck because there is nothing to loose so most of the time brave/stupid decision turn out to be good decisions only because of pure luck.

I don't think there is a better way of knowing if you are really ready until you try.

H

harrumff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of Final Table % do you think would be a good % in Free Rolls like the 10$?

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerol is a good patience trainer if you manage to survive when ppl mostly play Loto not poker were AA is called and beated by 23 were any of your raise is almost intant all in from another player...than your ok i am playing daily The League (10$) on PS and in past week i was 2 times in "money'' 1c each.2and half hours of play for 1c isnt easy:))))) and 1 time i was on 98.But stil makeing the next step to cash tables will be different.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently started getting into online poker again. I used to play a lot in college (5 years ago) both online and live. I was fairly successfull live and mildly successful online. Online eventually destroyed all my bankroll.
Well I'm getting back into things again and stumbled upon this place. I saw a post here saying that before getting into cash games you should grind out the freerolls for a week or so.

Finally to my question, are freerolls really an indicator of success? Or is it really just luck considering the talent involved in such low levels of play?

I'm asking because I grinded out and got into the money (top10 in the money, placed 9th) on a free roll. It's the on demand kind. 400+ participants.

Does this mean I'm ready to play now?

TL;DR Tried out the freerolls for practice. Got in the money. What does this say about my skill level?

bolded YOU DESTROYED YOUR BANK ROLL ONLINE LIVE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT:) First thing as a poker player you must do to be successful is be brutally HONEST with yourself.

For your question is more about how you feel and are you honest with play. Doesnt matter if freeroll or other. I don't agree with the week thing at all. First thing you have to do is be comfortable about what you are doing:)

No one can answer does this mean im ready to play now you have to decide that:)

Do you feel ready? Are you feeling that YOU are making the right decisions? Youve knocked the rust off? You either have a bankroll plan or you dont care if you blow whatever money you have in the game etc..

be honest with yourself read study watch winning players when can etc.. always work on your mind and your game:) gl gl gl

lilcharlierich

lilcharlierich

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive learned to be patience

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is definitely a difference that is for sure. That being said if you placed 9th in an on demand than that tells me you definitely have some skills for sure. I believe in my mind that you will be just fine in the next level. For that matter you may be even more successful. Good luck!!!

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is bad approach to poker studying. People intuitively start from cheapest way of learning poker which is freeroll mtt but that is wrong approach from game stand point. It is correct from financial point of view. So we are starting against couple of thousands weak players with very hyper turbo and we get stuck forever. The correct approach is to start from heads up games. One on one. Get all the theory behind it. Learn how to play deep stacks shortstacks. You have to play all kind of hands. You will master to perfection on which flops to cbet when to bluff and when not. Then you can expand games vs more opponents spins cash games and finally mtts. I think from game perspective this is the correct approach. Good luck

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently started getting into online poker again. I used to play a lot in college (5 years ago) both online and live. I was fairly successfull live and mildly successful online. Online eventually destroyed all my bankroll.

Well I'm getting back into things again and stumbled upon this place. I saw a post here saying that before getting into cash games you should grind out the freerolls for a week or so.

Finally to my question, are freerolls really an indicator of success? Or is it really just luck considering the talent involved in such low levels of play?

I'm asking because I grinded out and got into the money (top10 in the money, placed 9th) on a free roll. It's the on demand kind. 400+ participants.

TL;DR Tried out the freerolls for practice. Got in the money. What does this say about my skill level?

Yes, freerolls are really an indicator of success. That is my opinion and i have reasons to think in that way.

Many times players complain about lot of players going all-in with nothing or without any reason. They express their frustration frequently as they find it difficult to handle such players. None of them ever tried to explain how to tackle such all-in going players.

Now, if you manage to out play these problem creating players and reach the payment zone then no doubt you are a successful player.

Everybody can play in an environment where things can be assessed or anticipated properly. But everybody can't play with player who are difficult to understand and their next move can't be assessed correctly. They are difficult player to manage as they act without any reasoning.

In freerolls you will find another set of players who depend on luck and not on skill. These players are equally dangerous. Playing with them means your skill is tested against luck. In skill verses luck game nobody can say what would be the outcome. But if you can handle these players then sure you are a successful player.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm asking because I grinded out and got into the money (top10 in the money, placed 9th) on a free roll. It's the on-demand kind. 400+ participants.

If you made it to 9th in an on Demand $10 freeroll, then I'd say you're ready to play for money. I think I made it to about top 20 and since then have been making money at cash games. It shows you understand the fundamentals. Do realize that those fundamentals are different for cash vs tourney games. The author Blackrain79 has great advice for getting started since you probably want to start out at microlimits when getting into paid games.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'm asking because I grinded out and got into the money (top10 in the money, placed 9th) on a freeroll. It's the on-demand kind. 400+ participants.

Freerolls are +EV like playing them even when have thousands in my bankroll.
Cardschat leaderboard list is a competitive driving force that will make me register for 100 daily freeroll on pokerstars same time could be playing the sunday million or 109 bounty builder for example good luck.:D

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your game in freerolls, sometimes it can lead and you can win to increase your bankroll.

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tried out the freerolls for practice. Got in the money. What does this say about my skill level?

Imo it's an imperative that in poker the higher the buyings the tougher the games. So in this scheme things freerolls are at the bottom and they represent the easiest games possible. This means that developing a successful strategy of crushing freerolls is mandatory before moving to micros (as they are essentially the same thing).

But getting ITM in a single freeroll may be just an isolated incident and doesn't say anything about your skill level even with regard to freerolls. If you play freerolls regularly and consistently show good results then you can make a conclusion that you are successful enough to try the next level of poker games where buying require real money.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new, but in my experience so far, getting to the money is a test in skill. Especially if you've done it a few times. There's luck involved with all the shoving and countering to that effect in the starting rounds, but after that has cleared the real game begins. You're not going to calculate your way out of getting sucked out or getting beat by someone who shoves with 10-4 off-suit, but hopefully you can build your stack up enough to accept when that happens. Just keep playing until your consistently making to the final table or close to it. Good luck!

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’d say your ready but don’t over look all free rolls especially cc ones they can still be a good way of increasing your roll for free

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Placing in the top 10 does not make us a great player. It gives us a false sense of how good a poker player we are. Now if we consistently can place in top 10 in a field of 400 players, yeah, i would say that is a good player.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think success in freerolls is really indicator of success, but they are a great way to practice and a great way to build your bankroll. If you start out with freerolls and only move to buyins when your bankroll supports it is hard to lose.

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It's not realy a good indicator because you can't loose money with freeroll

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I am a really good poker player?

No matter what you think about yourself, the proof is in the results : SHOW ME THE MONEY

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the effects of using your own money does play on your game especially if you are not properly bankrolled, freerolls other then CC are a shove fest so they are great to experiment with , try different hands and see how you end . but you never want to try things with real $$

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend free rolls for 3 purposes.

1 - First learning the game of poker
2 - A no risk chance to build a bankroll if you don't want to deposit.

3 - Practicing very core fundamentals like preflop hand selection and position. (Other players at the table will prove to you why its important)

Since you sound like you are already established in the game, I don't think you need to worry about playing free rolls.

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are constantly cashing in those on demands freeroll then I would say you are more than ready.

the beginning stages of those games are pretty donkishly intense and a quick double up or 2 you will find yourself running deep in many of them.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice to you is to keep playing the freerolls for a while. Even if you feel like you are ready to start putting money down for buy ins, you can only help yourself and improve more by waiting and playing more freerolls. Play a lot for another few weeks. You might even be able to build a nice little bankroll from it so you don't even have to deposit.

After you have played for a few more weeks, it would be a good idea to start at the lowest stakes, like the daily ten cent $75gtd at WPN, or the fifty cent turbo mega stack game. And I would continue to play the freerolls, even as you play the mirco and low stakes every day. Getting more hands in is only going to work to your benefit, while trying to play mtt sooner will just be riskier for your bankroll.

You can't really get an idea of how good or bad you are until you have played a huge number of games over a longer period of time. Even then, you need to remember that gauging success in poker solely by wins/losses or profit/loss is a terrible idea, and it will only frustrate you during those times when you are in a slump and inflate your ego during the times you are running hot. Your success should be gauged on how well you play each day; how consistent you are in making the best decisions you possibly can. That is the task at hand, and that is all you should really focus on while playing. When you are not playing, you should be considering what your weaknesses are and how you might be able to make improvements where those weaknesses exist.

If you just stay focused on this, and avoid getting caught up in thinking about all the big tournaments you'd like to win, or how much those bad beats earlier in the day sucked, you should be able to keep getting better and at some point reach something resembling the peak of your ability. But if you are smart, you will remember that the peak of your ability is a moving target, and that no matter how good you get, or how good you think you are, there is always room to improve.

Freeroll Passwords