freeroll tournament strategy

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is a combination of patience,probability,luck.and so on.
there should be general principle of tournament,but when everyon know how to use the principle,then it is ther time to change it.

jovoga

jovoga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategy at freerolls

Must be playing very tight. From early you play only good hands. After you can try bluff but only to FLOP, if no card you have on hand.

G

gotodome

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play tight fold the best hand and trap

Q

quincyhawk99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When i play these I dont understand how people get up so fast?? does everyone just go all in the first hand or something

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good place to start would be to refer to the "Strategy Articles" colum here at the site. They have some great advise on the topic.

ICU2QTPY

ICU2QTPY

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
My best advice is consistency, and when I say consistency I mean playing every damn freeroll everyday for more than a year straight. Then you will not only get better at poker but your odds will improve. By then you will have seen 1,000's of hands and you will easily fold K 10 off suit or whatever because you know that the young fish in the corner has 7 5 off suit. I did this, and I can often place in the bubble or in the money. My best is ( one ) 1st place finish in the 9:15pm freeroll on UB. I've placed 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th, and so-on. I even placed 4174th !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

B

bbc008

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one BIG strategy.......
BLINDS GO UP EVERY 5 MINUTES..!!!!!!

meaning you shouldnt hollywood too much each hand taking a long time.....

i've seen some tables where a bunch of people take there time.....
in 2 to 3 hands then.....5 minutes go by.....and blinds go up already...

Do you know what that means???? means when the blinds come back to u....it's gonna be mega high!!! meaning u'll have to start playing hands u dont want to taking more risks!!!!!

hollywood and all that acting. is a NO WIN situation for everybody!!!!

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing freerolls I think the best strategy is to just play tight ABC poker. When you have your hands bet them realitvly strong since there is always those players who willl pay you off with weak hands. Also try to see as many flops cheap in early stages with suited connectors and small pairs to hope to flop big and take down a nice pot to build your stack early. You dont need to risk your chips to be near the top or chip leader. If you patient, pick your spots correctly, and win a race or two, you will do fine.

R

Rob999s

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PLay tight and remember you will probably never chase away a chaser early in a freeroll.

I just post and first hand in freeroll

Table: 94 (real money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - KEYWESTGROUP ($1500 in chips)
Seat 2 - SLAVAWOOD ($1500 in chips)
Seat 3 - UMMFAST ($1500 in chips)
Seat 4 - ROB999S ($1500 in chips)
Seat 5 - LBETO ($1500 in chips)
Seat 6 - KROSACHAMP ($1500 in chips)
Seat 7 - FISHMASTER04 ($1500 in chips)
Seat 8 - TAZMAN070 ($1500 in chips)
Seat 9 - NIMSS2K ($1500 in chips)
NIMSS2K - Posts small blind $5
KEYWESTGROUP - Posts big blind $10
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to ROB999S [2c Qc]
SLAVAWOOD - Calls $10
UMMFAST - Folds
ROB999S - Calls $10
LBETO - Folds
KROSACHAMP - Raises $20 to $20
FISHMASTER04 - Calls $20
TAZMAN070 - Calls $20
NIMSS2K - Calls $15
KEYWESTGROUP - Calls $10
SLAVAWOOD - Calls $10
ROB999S - Calls $10
*** FLOP *** [5c 4c 3d]
NIMSS2K - Bets $140
KEYWESTGROUP - Folds
SLAVAWOOD - Folds
ROB999S - Calls $140
KROSACHAMP - Calls $140
FISHMASTER04 - Calls $140
TAZMAN070 - Folds
*** TURN *** [5c 4c 3d] J♠
NIMSS2K - Bets $700
ROB999S - Calls $700
KROSACHAMP - Folds
FISHMASTER04 - Folds
*** RIVER *** [5c 4c 3d Js] A♣
NIMSS2K - All-In $640
ROB999S - All-In $640
*** SHOW DOWN ***
NIMSS2K - Shows [6s 2h] (Straight, two to six)
ROB999S - Shows [2c Qc] (Flush, ace high)
ROB999S Collects $3380 from main pot

Last edited by a moderator:
I

IvaiLamDimidov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It takes a lot of luck to win freerolls. A lot of players have no idea what they are doing and just go all in like crazy. I am usually very tight in the beginning and start to loosen up as the tournament goes on.

S

Sportsmenc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight first hour. Then steal blinds. Then tight again until final table. Agressive there

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well

I place in many freerolls, such as my past 3 freeroll tournament placings have been. Out of 169, i placed 9th. Out of 150, i placed 15th and out of 81, i placed first. I have been playing great poker lately. The key to winning or placing in a freeroll is staying tight and calling with only great hands, sometimes you have to lay down the AQ, when QJ8 hits the board. Also, a good tip is, let the bluffers try to bluff you. Just smooth call over and over and then raise on the river. Freerolls are filled with fish. Play your pocket pairs and if you get trips, always slow play them, but if the whole table checks to you, make a half sized bet, you will get one caller. Okay, these are some quick tips for freerolls, GOOD LUCK

dexter smith

dexter smith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is the most important thing, just stick it out and wait for all the donks to get pushed out, they will push themselves out. Then put your A game on. once your at a table long enough to get a feel of the players at your table.

Big_Narfy

Big_Narfy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are great and a great tool to learn on just remeber your compeeting with up to 4000 depending on the site for a shot at a prize for only the lets say 150 so if the table is aggressive play passivly and if it is passive play the opposite stay away from all ins and the sitt out method can work sometimes but can also take a 4=6 hour game and make it worth squat have faith in your self your hands will come dont go chasing after them

H

H1R0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Ivai:

1. At the start play very tight, i.e. only play aa kk and qq, because during the start of a freeroll there are a lot of fish who will call or play any hand.

2. As the tournament goes on, in the middle stage, make your play a bit looser, playing like as you would on ring games- i.e. play more hands and steal a few blinds- this is because many of the fish will be eliminated.

3. Finally as you near the end of the tournament loosen up even more, steal more blinds as they add up considerably and play even more hands.

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
start taking the free poker lessons from FullTilt Academy

lotsa great stuff there

it large freerolls it almost never hurts to sit out the first 15-20 min or so.

sorta "let the tide go out" a bit before you jump in the muck

Last edited:
Tokeard311

Tokeard311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beg- Play tight/passive, play position, see cheap flops with good drawing hands, don't overplay cards, try to double up with nuts/ strong hand (shouldnt be too hard, dont force it though, let situation come to you, might not come from just one hand and if you dont, dont worry), no bluffing, look for hands better then pair(lots of beg look for, love and hold onto pairs), play tight, play position.

mid- start really watching and analyzing players/table, play tight/aggressive, POSITION, raise, find good raising level (ask yourself, will 3xbb get right # of callers or higher? ), steal blinds (not too much), pay attention to how your playing!, mix things up, i like to think of this stage as me slowly but surely putting my foot on accelerator.

late- depends on your chip stack
low- pick your spots, looking to double up, looking for people to make errors, have to take larger risks, get all the money and blinds you can get, were going for the win not itm.
average-pick your spots,steal blinds, pressure oppenents, watch out for larger stacks, shortstacks can be good or bad depending on players, c-bets, raises, tight/aggressive, premium hands usually = good money (but dont play them soft), looking to pinch from rocks/passive players,looking to make final table, pick spots and keep collecting,
bigstack- tight/very agrressive, steal, steal blinds, pressure, position, watch out for strong players, try not to double anyone up, looking for heads up or 2 callers, looking to pinch from rocks/passive players,looking to make final table with big stack still

These are things I have done when I have won/placed in freerolls. GL.

J

jrosekcs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here is a perfect example of freeroll play...just lost on ultimate bet to a guy who called my all in preflop K's with a J 4 offsuit and hit his 2 pair....morons in these hugh freerolls just don't think at all..they just click the mouse and pray...so there is no real strategy u just have to hope the odds play out right

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to play very tight at the beginning when it is a free for all. Let the guys who want to go all in have there fun and then come in behind them. If you look at the stats you will see that the guys in front after the first 20 hands or so rarely if ever hang on. I have won or placed high in a few of these coming from well back.

P

pavipbr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think being patient is the key waitin for good hands and good flops and make ood bets i think the bluff doesnt work much in this tournaments

nutshooter

nutshooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It already been said but, PLAY TIGHT. Try to stay close to the average stack size because later (if u dont) the blinds will kill you and you'll have to make stands every other hand. If you get ahead early dont feel like you have some spendin' money. stay tight until the later rounds

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Patients and Timing.

When you hit make your move.
icon14.gif

Good Luck

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These tourneys need a lot of luck especially in the early stages when you tend to get a lot of all ins. There are 2 ways which I play them with a fair bit of success. First is to play very tight in the early stages. Only play with the top 6 hands and nothing else. Sometimes this gets a decent stack by the first break and sometimes it does not but if it does not then at least I am still there. The guys who go into an early lead with all ins rarely if ever last the pace and win these. Better to be there at the break and then open up a bit when the all in guys have settled down. The second way I have played them is to take chances early on. If I think that it is going to be a 4 or 5 hour game I may choose only to stay involved if I get off to a good start. If I win a couple of all ins great if not I have saved 4 or 5 hours and move onto something else.

E

empco

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
empathy for the beginer

I unlike like the previous replyers too your question, do not think that freerolls are very benificial to a new players game.
Reasons: for new players anyway
1) the payout is only 1% at best, where on money and even play money games the average payout is 10% of players. If you are actually planing on eventually graduating too real poker games keep this in mind. Your main objective is to make money! So as a example you should evaluate your ability to make it to the 10% mark I.E. 270th. place out of 2700 players. This will give you a more acurate measurement of your ability to make it as a cash player.

2) Do not under any circumstance think that playing freerolls is the same as a real cash game! These games are full of limp in, check around, call anything, and all in miricle hand wins. This is because there is no acountability at all for anyone playing! Not one player has anything of value to loose in these games, even their credability is mute, keep yours, it is more valuable than any amount of money.

3) I recommend freerolls to only people that have established sound skills and understanding of real poker, this can be established with play money games to a point. The problem is the better play money games are hard to get into. example: Heads up poker is the best way to develope a real game! On FullTilt the hardest play money game to get into is heads up no limit holdem. It requires 1,000,000 chips buyin to participate per game. Thus being the ultimate goal for REAL play money players.
my slogan is ""IF YOU CAN'T BEAT ONE PLAYER MOST OF THE TIME, WHAT CHANCE DO YOU HAVE IN A CROUD!""

4) As I said before your credability is the most valuable asset, this you must accept as fact. If at all posible play atleast once a month live and in person with people that you know, care about, and respect. this way you will get told when your playing retarded, foolish, or just plain stupid. The truth is the least you deserve!

Now if you read all of this without getting so mad at me that you quit.
I will tell you what I tell people I care about. Until you reach a point
"the pinical point" in your game. When you know that your good and that your play is sound. Avoid FreeRolls like a pox ridden whore!
But if you have the game and nothing will infect it, and now all you need is a bankroll. Hit the freerolls like a mad person and then it's only a matter of time till your stack builds and you can leave them "freerolls" behind and move on to better things.

Good luck
empco