Fold AA preflop in NLH? Yup

D

DEE123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great answers! I am hating to get AA anymore hardly ever seems to win helpless to watch a 678 flop and peeps going all in....I fold fast!

anonimalit

anonimalit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pré lop im not fold AA , but pos flop yes

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with folding AA in satellites.

The only time I fold AA in non satellite MTTs is if there are huge pay jumps. For example, lets say you're on the BB at the FT of a tournament. You have 1BB left after putting in your BB. Everyone else at the table has between 35-60 BBs in their stack. Everyone goes all preflop in before you (probably never going to happen, but lets say it does) and it's up to you...

Lets say payout is as follow: 10K for 9th, 20K for 8th, 30K for 7th,...90K for 1st.

If you call and win, you have about a low-mid sized stack. But if you lose, you're out with 10K. However, if you fold, it's likely that 1, 2, or possibly 3 players get knocked out before you, meaning your pay jumps from 10K to 20K-40K. AA's chances of winning drops significantly against 8 players, so your chances of calling and making a stack of ~25 BBs is very small and you're likely to get knocked out in 9th place. Whereas, if you fold, you have a greater chance of making pay jumps, which I think is a much better option.

daco111

daco111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold aces in cash games only if 4 or more goes all in.

Kanat

Kanat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can fold AA preflop, if you played in MTT final table and before you 2 and more players going All-in.

D

dudu10grande

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I give not fold AA in MTT , unless I'm in a satellite , there need not run the risk of taking a bad beat and lose the ticket.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a cash game- probably never. I believe you need 6 or more in the hand (with random hands) with you before the field is expected to win against you. But still, the satellite answer is the truest one there is and the best reason to fold.

L

Lying So Low

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant fold AA pre flop, but some times regretted about it:D

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
simple and straight, you should NEVER fold pre-flop with the highest hand. Simple as that. Dangerous flop could make me fold though.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
theoretically... yep, you should fold it if you're on the bubble
but
I would never fold AA pre when someone is all in, even if it's on bubble

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe when you play some sattelite and you are at the bubble and you dnt want to loose and you also dnt need double up cuz you have average stack

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i folded AA one time because of bubble play and it was the right decision, maybe not in the long run, you should play AA

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never, I'll never fold AA preflop

D

darknight091

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA preflop in satellite where bubble is approaching is a valid reason.Early on I also fold in a multiwaypot where there are several limpers and raisers.

R

roots10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only reason would be playing a satellite tournament near the bubble and be virtually guaranteed in the prize pool.

in any other situation, never fold

vita087

vita087

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never fold a pair of A pre flop! impossiblee hahhahaha

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it because nature came calling so you were forced to rush to the toilet so fast that you didn't care about your game but when you came back to look thru your hands you notice you folded AA and would have tripled, 2 hands later KK and would have doubled and then to rub salt into the wounds you had another missed AA and this time you would of quadrupled :(

Yeah sh*t happens..... literally :p

Anyways the real answer to this is most likely one of 2 things:

1. You are chip leader in a satellite and already have plenty of chips to get your ticket

Or

2. You are on a final table with significant pay jumps and there are a few all ins ahead of you so you go for the pay jumps
i am unable to rationalize nothing more but this

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold aces in cash games only if 4 or more goes all in.
OK, here's the rundown of AA's equity vs a number of random hands (and note that I even rounded down):

2-handed: 85% - +0.85 EV
3-handed: 73% - +1.46 EV
4-handed: 63% - +1.89 EV
5-handed: 55% - +2.20 EV
6-handed: 49% - +2.45 EV
7-handed: 43% - +2.58 EV
8-handed: 38% - +2.66 EV
9-handed: 34% - +2.72 EV
10-handed: 31% - +2.79 EV

That means that, with more people in the pot, the odds of you winning the hand get smaller, but because the pot is bigger, you're expected to win MORE in the long run with more opponents.

The correct answer in this thread is:

Fold AA preflop on the bubble in satellites with multiple opponents all-in, or when the pay-jumps are significant and several people went all-in before you. In these cases the ICM becomes more important than the cEV.

In all other cases, especially cash games: folding AA preflop is the single DUMBEST thing you can do.

Anyone who disagrees with this does not understand basic probability and has no business at a poker table.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
such situations a little bit. for example if all went all in. or on the bubble when some people went all in.

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why fold AA preflop? I can't do it

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level