Fold AA preflop in NLH? Yup

T

taka_rio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold AA pre-flop. Even if im the bubble man.
But once you see the flop, its time to think.

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely fold if I was on the bubble and the winners got the same prize. Otherwise I'd be looking to get as many chips as possible in there if there were only 2-3 other folks in the pot. They get cracked so often that it's nervous making but you gotta play to win. :)

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell you what! After today I will consider calling All-in with pocket Aces. I was crashed by AKs who get the flush, even so I get Three of a kind . . .

Bad evening maybe . . .

C

Chandla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've yet to fold AA. I've folded QQ a few times pre flop but thats it.

C

Chandla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, here's the rundown of AA's equity vs a number of random hands (and note that I even rounded down):

2-handed: 85% - +0.85 EV
3-handed: 73% - +1.46 EV
4-handed: 63% - +1.89 EV
5-handed: 55% - +2.20 EV
6-handed: 49% - +2.45 EV
7-handed: 43% - +2.58 EV
8-handed: 38% - +2.66 EV
9-handed: 34% - +2.72 EV
10-handed: 31% - +2.79 EV

That means that, with more people in the pot, the odds of you winning the hand get smaller, but because the pot is bigger, you're expected to win MORE in the long run with more opponents.

The correct answer in this thread is:

Fold AA preflop on the bubble in satellites with multiple opponents all-in, or when the pay-jumps are significant and several people went all-in before you. In these cases the ICM becomes more important than the cEV.

In all other cases, especially cash games: folding AA preflop is the single DUMBEST thing you can do.

Anyone who disagrees with this does not understand basic probability and has no business at a poker table.

You seemed cool until the "anyone who disagrees BS." Now you are just a jackass.

S

Sadalmelik

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I simply don't play for big money, so i don't see reason why to fold AA. It is something like when you are fastest athlete on the field, but you scared you will loose race because other guys are fast too. Everyone loose eventually :)and btw, in many case if you go all in even with several opponents you can still earn even if you end up with 2nd strongest hand, it didnt happen to me once

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You seemed cool until the "anyone who disagrees BS." Now you are just a jackass.
Seeing 20 threads where people contemplate folding AA preflop does that to you. ;)

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyways the real answer to this is most likely one of 2 things:

1. You are chip leader in a satellite and already have plenty of chips to get your ticket

Or

2. You are on a final table with significant pay jumps and there are a few all ins ahead of you so you go for the pay jumps

1 but never 2 the biggest pay jump is winning.

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of which that's one reason why I love playing sats because you'll often see 24 people remaining with 21 getting a ticket and average stacks shoving hands like JJ despite that the chip leader is in the bb and there are 2 guys at the table who each have 2bb left. Too many people go "Well I have 9bb and this is a premium" without really considering their chip stack is large enough to just fold their way to a ticket.

There are times this doesn't work out because the short stacks manage to double up a few times or the chip leaders are also refusing to make calls (for same reason) then it can backfire but normally on the bubble the chip leaders will call any shove with paint so long as it's less than 1/3 their stack. Had a few situations where I was safe but do to table dynamics later found myself as the one in danger - sometimes I get lucky though and another medium stack shoves and loses.

edgaxs

edgaxs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u fold AA preflop so with what you would play? Well if 6-8people pushes all ins then i would fold ak meet qq jj etc too risky :)

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy folded pocket A in live game and he was right
, but i would never fold pocket A preflop. Let's say that i'm away couple places to get to payout zone or ticket and i get pocket A, even then i won't fold it. I would probably limp in that certain situation but that's it or let's say that there is 9 people on the table and everyone is all in, so my guess is that couple of them got pocket pair and other some paints suited. What would you do? I would call again.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
interesting responses here indeed. I would never fold due to pay jumps, only sat situations, keep them coming all

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold AA pre flop maybe only in situation 4-5 players goess all in before me.....

Folding in Poker