gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
Hi there

Alsoo what a table, all super pro players.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I disagree here, IMHO strategy is also a reason. There is always the option that AA will lose. When you are in the bubble it might be smart to fold.
I have thought over this one several times since my last post.
I can see the reasoning for folding. I think you guys are correct that a fold would be best since someone else will probably call and one of them will be out, thus getting you into the [emoji383].
I also think this would be the only time to fold AA.

Belpster

Belpster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He is a pro he make the right decision. other people just call y busted out the bubble saying "I got AA i cant fold"

Totally agree, the big blind is to act behind him, assuming everyone folded up to Lex, he has nearly 50% of his stack in. Even if the big blind folded he would effectively only have 1BB left. Also UTG +1 is sub 1BB. Easy fold in this situation.

Some great bubble play here, big stack is bullying... everyone else has to respond.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
call, you are going in with the best hand , so why not

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Maybe add a little context with this?

Any other tournament you are 100% calling here.

But Lex is on a Sat bubble, 5 people who are way shorter than him
so why would you ever gamble with AA here? it's the easiest fold of your life. Who ever would call here should probably go over the scenario a few times. cause a clearer fold can't be made ever than this one...

Yes I would fold as well on a sat bubble with AA
Those saying call are playing to win a hand, those saying fold are playing to win a ticket.

You can lead a donkey to water, but you can't make them drink.

;)
In the top left corner it says "$10k sat 8 seats", and in the right corner it says "My position 4 out of 9". Together this tells us, it was the bubble of a satellite, and several players were sitting on a much shorter stack than Lex. This included the player, who was in big blind now and another player, who would be forced all in within the next two hands. Doubling his stack would not significantly increase Lex chance of winning a ticket, and this is why, its a good fold.

This was a metagame fold. Brain shifts to 7 gear.
Ummmmm no, this was a very easy, no need to think fold, read the bolded in the above quote.

:deal:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The only time I fold aces is when I have locked up a seat in a satellite and were on the bubble. I may win 80%+ of the time but why risk what is a guaranteed seat.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I also always call with AA.Although I dropped it several times on the bubble when my stack was equal to the bank.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
risk and reward

If I'm on the bubble or close to the money, if it's a worthwhile prize, I will fold, if I have a small stack. But if it is a small buy-in, small prize MTT, go all in with pocket AA with zero hesitation.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In satellite when you are certainly or almost certainly going to make it, and you would take a huge hit that would impact your chances of not making it, then it's wise to fold.

In other words, if it doesn't matter if you are 1st or 20th, then why would you risk it? You have to understand the pay structure of the tourney. I have spat out food from bewilderment and laughter watching fools bust out unnecessarily when all they had to do was fold. I mean one time this dummy called a shove and lost like 4/5 of his stack with 33. Why???

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In other words, if it doesn't matter if you are 1st or 20th, then why would you risk it? You have to understand the pay structure of the tourney. I have spat out food from bewilderment and laughter watching fools bust out unnecessarily when all they had to do was fold. I mean one time this dummy called a shove and lost like 4/5 of his stack with 33. Why???

Satellite bubbles are an extreme example, but in general you need to understand ICM when playing tournaments. I remember a hand from the beginning of Doug Polks bankroll challenge, where he was playing a traditional 9 man SnG for 5$. He had accumulated way more than half the chips with 4 players left, and someone running on fumes was sitting out, so that player would be gone in just a few hands.

Its pretty clear that the other two guys should just wait for that to happen before risking their stack. However the second largest stack decided to call a jam from Doug Polk with AK, and Doug sucked out on him resulting in the sit-out player cashing without even being there and with almost no chips left :)

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those saying call are playing to win a hand, those saying fold are playing to win a ticket.

You can lead a donkey to water, but you can't make them drink.

;)

Ummmmm no, this was a very easy, no need to think fold, read the bolded in the above quote.

:deal:
Why did you ruin the novel in the book!? :D

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No way in hell, I'd fold AA at pre-flop! Except maybe if I'm already sure I will be one of the winners in tournament where prize is equally divided!

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a cash game, no. Never.

In a tournament, perhaps.

If you're up against two or more pocket pairs, then you're only winning 66% of the time. If that happens, and the pay jump is $5,000,000 and your buddy is going to be blinded out next hand, then hell yeah, fold.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is possible. Depends on the stake, but nothing wrong to fold aces

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA pre flop

Hi there. I preflop with AA called without thinking. But in the levels that Lex plays, it is played differently and they may decide not to pay if they have doubts or in jump in the payments that are very high

L

lhmove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your case of course fold . The 16 k stack player will lose next

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would you do if you have AA and they go all in? Fold or do you call all in? I pay without thinking!
Don't ever pay without thinking! Ever situation in poker is unique, make the best decision for the situation.

AA fold on a satellite bubble with plenty of chips to move forward is totally OK.

Think about this scenario. You save your money for 10 years to raise $10,000 to play the wsop Main Event in Las Vegas. The FIRST hand of the tournament you have AA, the best starting hand possible. A a player before you goes all-in so your tournament life is on-the-line on the FIRST hand of the WSOP...
  • Do you call knowing that you have the best starting hand but can lose 20% of the time?
  • Do you fold as you've only got 1 BB invested in the pot AND it is the first hand of the WSOP Main Event that you have saved for for 10 YEARS!
Mathematically, its correct to call. Situationally - it depends on if you are OK with busting out of the WSOP on the first hand 20% of the time. You can decide. :D

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This time it is good to fold, it is a satellite tournament and there are players with fewer chips. If it were another tournament the situation would change

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The only reason anyone would ever fold is out of fear. You are here to play poker and you have been dealt the best possible starting hand. Why do you play poker if you would ever throw this away in any position? First hand, bubble or heads up, what the hell?

I am awestruck that this question even came up! Would you ever call all in with 72o preflop, when everyone else has called all in?

Same level of stupidity in the question!

Actually the level of ignorance is in your response.

Look closer at the table....
It pays 8seats of $10,000 (8x $10k). It's a SATELLITE! And this is the BUBBLE!

This is the easiest fold EVER!

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday’s card chat freeroll on intertops I got aces in the first hand and went allin. I thought it looked cute. Just lil old me getting it allin first hand to try to double up in the tournament with rags. Everyone folded except the last guy to act in the big blind. QJ suited. He flopped a straight draw and hit the straight on the turn.

Folding in Poker