Do you think studying póker makes you win?

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By all means study is important. If you want to play pro football, you better know the plays. If you want to be successful in Poker, you need to know them as well!

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What helped me was math and statistics. I always loved math and statistics and poker is a game of chance odds and statistics. so if you are good at math you can be good at poker. not just with odds and stats but the betting of the chips and the math and human psychology that comes with it, you can use psychology to gather information and narrow your stats down and you can also use psychology to set up and image for yourself that you can exploit later on the game.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that studying brings you much closer to winning. The power to force a strong mind and that can recover from bad spells, will be bringing you closer to victory, and if we also have luck on our side ... complete combo ahahah

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not playing good for sure you need to study playing poker, at least if you want to earn something with that.
I know some people was playing poker really bad, but they improved their game and now they can win in poker and earn money from playing poker.

GrindFreak

GrindFreak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study poker isn't for everyone, but if you learn your mistakes or errors what you played against them and yea you would won few dollars in long run

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play

Practice makes perfect, just play everyday. Trial and era. You only get out of what you put in so the more you practice the better you will get. Capo1014

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are happy just making final tables once in a while at low stakes then practice will get you there. If you really want to make some money, play higher stakes and win more often you would need to study the game.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes I think volume and studying are the 2 more important factors in winning the games.

Ok you can still win micro . low stakes tournaments easier but in order to crush higher stakes studying is one way. Knowing the theory behind every spot will make you a tough opponent , no matter if your approach will be more based on GTO or exploitative play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying and playing go hand-in-hand. How much you should study will depend on how well and how far you want to get. For example, I don't plan on playing higher than the $2 mtts (maybe a few shots at $3-$5 mtts), so I don't need to study a lot of mtt strategies for mid buy-in (or higher) games because it just wouldn't apply to me as much. At the same time, I need to make sure I know how to beat my opponents at my current level.

On top of studying, knowing how and when to apply what you've learned is also crucial. It doesn't make sense to learn how to do something but never apply it. So, part of studying and playing is being able to apply what you know. I also think it helps with figuring out your own style and strategy as well, because not every strategy is going to be a one-size-fits-all deal. So, knowing the hows/whys of strategies and knowing how to apply a bit of everything to your own approach to the game.

To give an example, someone playing 15 $1 mtts a day, multi-table 3-5 mtts at a time will have a much different strategy than someone playing 3-4 $1 mtts a day, 1 table at a time. At the core, the basic strategy might be the same but individual strategy will differ and it's good to figure out what works for you in your situation. These are both me. I had to adjust my own strategy and how I approached the game, it's different levels, etc in order to do well. My strategy changed compared to my previous days of playing when I played a higher volume and because of that, while at the core my general strategy stayed the same, I had to make adjustments in other parts in order to do well.

Last edited:
aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you play more tournaments, you gain experience, and that sooner or later will bring you benefits.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some interesting responses on this thread and some quite surprising ones... Here's my take on it:

Imagine being back at school and having a natural talent for maths. When you're young all the basic concepts are easy to understand and you ace every test and are top of the class. You're so much better than everyone else without even trying, you don't bother and for a while you continue to be top of the class.
As you get older the concepts become more challenging and complicated. Soon you begin to not get 100% or even 90%, but other students are. You start to look at algebra and haven't got a clue what you're looking at. All because you were a natural talent and had no need or desire to study the basics when you were younger that are the foundations of algebra.
You can play poker as much as you like and maybe you will win a bit because you've got some natural ability that means that you're better that most of the current player pool for a while, but the thing is, those players that aren't as good will do one of two things in the long run: get better or quit. That means that the average ability of the player pool increases while your ability stagnates, meaning your win rate goes down or even disappears completely.

Studying is vitally important if you want to stay ahead of the game and improve.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolute!

It is important to always learn! But you should not run without learning to walk.)Only it is desirable not to burn out, dosed theory and practice!:cool:

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It also needs to study.
And it is also necessary to recognize that actual battle is different from study.

Sansam

Sansam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not always. For some players, after learning a new technique of playing poker, the results become much worse and even begin to lose more. I don’t know what it’s connected with)

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like most replies here, I agree that studying is key. Whether it's reading, watching, simple practice, it's all helpful. However, to your question as to whether it will help you win? Not really. That all depends on the day and the players at the table. It for sure will help you not lose as much in the long run though!

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Who can explain the dynamics of the universe and life? If you study and assume that there is a possibility of changing the destiny, it could be that there is interference of quantum elements in the path.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying definitely helps. Especially if you have access to solvers. Of course I don't, they are very expensive.

T

tiefgang23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sure u can learn something about poker, if u just play and try to understand what they do, but if u go for real study without playing poker, u understand a lot more and know more ranges or how to read players perfectly and u know how much u have to bet , that is mathematically perfect! :) just try it out and u will see

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it makes you win, but I don't think your likely to win without studying.

H

Hedz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there anything out there people would recommend looking at to get better at reading in to pot size and equity?

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study well done, always elevates the student in anything.

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think yes, watching the games of professional players personally helps me a lot, I get new knowledge and methods of playing, I think more correctly and do not make stupid moves;)

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, any training helps a lot, but I just don’t have enough time to do it, because in my case, just experience helps. The more I play, the better I play.