Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear forum participants! Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old. To make money in the future...

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
possible yes i think so ....but if it is a good thing to do ....i am unsure of that . dont forget that in poker there is risk of addiction and of abusing it as gambling and blow off all your money . i dont think that a kid has the maturity to handle the possible dangers that can come with playing poker

so it is a very controversial topic imo

amartimes

amartimes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure, if child is not interested then you should forget your idea. It is better to follow your child's talent and interest!

alison

alison

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it difficult for many reasons first because of age and second because of the rules and the way other people play

vardyonfire

vardyonfire

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's valubale to teach a kid gambeling at that age... That is why all sites are 18+

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too early, I mean you can teach him some card games not involving money, or any side value.
I think at 15 // 16 you can start teaching him if he likes card games, with no money involved, should be great from a mathematical perspective too, having some undestanding on the prob and stats.

O

omegaFish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see why not. A great way for them to learn about making decisions under uncertainty and knowing how to take calculated risks. If they fall in love with the game they will be a real shark by 18.

A

ACE448

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few great card games for kids at only a Google Search away from your fingertips. As for poker however, it's a no from me. Start with the easier, child-friendly games and perhaps steer clear of the gambling/betting scene until later years! If they find their own way to poker then so be it. I did about 13 haha

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My opinion is negative, do you think it is easy to play poker, I will disappoint you, it is titanic work, lack of sleep, excitement of emotions, addiction, eyesight and various sores

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think it's possible to a 11-year kid to learn how to play poker, but in my opinion it should be only for fun. In the future you can teach him about being a professional poker player, but now it's too soon.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gambling for money is prohibited until 18 and in some countries up to 21, is it possible to teach? yes, of course, and not only gambling, but, for example, smoking and drinking alcohol, only after that the child will not be a child, but a sick person with mental problems, it's not clear who you're trying to teach and why

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 11 years old is not the right age to teach kids how to play poker. All the same, there is a restriction to play from the age of 18.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on the abilities & interest of the 11 year old & of course your own knowledge of the game & your teaching skills.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depends on the abilities & interest of the 11 year old & of course your own knowledge of the game & your teaching skills.
I'm thinking you probably played when you were 11 yrs. old. Myself, I'd already won & lost fortunes... paper route money, sold my bike & skateboard too. We started playing poker very early... as soon as you were old enough to fan 5 cards in your hand, you were in the game!

As far as making money goes in today's games..... I suppose some 11yr. olds could win in the micros.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can speak from experience with this. They tried to teach me to play poker when I was 10 years old only once and I didn't understand anything about the game but nevertheless it caught my attention when he told me that they played the ones that were on TV and I started to investigate on the internet. I started playing on pokerstars for play money when I was 11 years old and it took me more than 3 months to understand the game in all its splendor after dedicating hours and hours without studying about it because of course, I already had a lot to study at school. Since then I play poker and I can consider that I have mastered many areas of the game and that I have much more experience than I should. Today I am 23 years old.
But the first and foremost thing that has to happen is that he has to be attracted by what he can learn and like cards for that to be possible, if he doesn't like cards, I doubt that you will make him study or play on his own.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My kids know how to play poker since they were little ones. The youngest boy was about 14 yo. So I believe 11yo would be ok. But they prefer other games, you know, video games.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My 7 year old has already taken an interest in playing some cards, never any money involved, just a bit of fun and has adapted very quickly to what the hand rankings are and what cards to hold and not to hold (5 card draw).

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think that its a good idea. 11 years is a child. I think that this game is for 18+. Play online or live poker is not good for a 11 years child 🙂

Sorry for my english 😬

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's perfectly possible to teach a child to play poker to develop intellect, self-control, discipline...
But to earn money in the future, put that child in school.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
is is possible , but why do that ?! ..let the kid enjoy his toys and games ...

M

melbru88888

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the question should be if its a good thing to do it

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear forum participants! Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old. To make money in the future...

Most players are losing players regardless of their age so I wouldn't lead them down that road. There are better and easier things to do to make money than playing cards.

There are so many practical things they could be learning to do like cooking, basic plumbing, auto mechanics, gardening, learning how to manage money and letting them understand how family expenses work, helping out by learning how to take care of elderly if you have extended family living with you and ooh yeah, working on their school work!!!

I mean there are just so many things that could help them become more independent, responsible folks than sitting in front screen becoming a couch potato losing at cards, getting nowhere wondering how to play a pair of tens or Jacks and why they kept losing their bankroll, lolol.

If you decide to go down that road then it could be really involved and set you up for future headaches.

Unless you and your spouse are on the same page and plan it out like talking about morality and you can't cheat people and the evils of gambling with what to look out for and what it could lead to, I mean it starts innocent but you have to really think about it.

And the next thing you know your kid is cheating your neighbor's kid out of something and you have to listen to how bad a parent you are, lol.

Again, there are just so many things kids that age could be doing instead of being in front of a screen trying to learn how to play a game for money that has no guarantee of making money where most people lose money at.

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is fine to teach them to play poker at any age if they show interest in the game. But don't teach it as a way to make money in the future - very few people reach that point and most of us are not skilled enough to teach at that level anyway.

I have 3 grandchildren who are now in their early 20's. Of the 3 the youngest was the only one to show any interest in poker. He used to love to watch me play when he was younger so I taught him the basics. He is now 21 and plays frequently with his friends and comes over and plays in our home games. He plays for money and does okay but he has no ambitions to ever try to make a living at it.

That is exactly what I taught him - play if you enjoy it. Don't spend more than you can afford to lose and never depend on winning. Looks like I did the right thing because that is exactly how he is with it. :)

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely too early in my opinion. Of course, you can play for pampering, but I think this child will quickly get tired of it. Of course, I understand that if a child has an interest and endurance in this, then he may succeed in becoming a great poker player. But still I think it largely depends on the desires and aspirations of the child.

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe its possible..
But i think it's better to teach an 11 year old to play chess to become a GM in the future..