Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's never too early to learn about probabilities, the ability to read people, and sound decision making.

P

pariurisportive88

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
better learn tennis poker is a dangerous sport

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that poker is an intellectual game that develops positive thinking, and if a child has a desire to learn, then this will not be superfluous.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I taught my Nephew and his first ever hand, I said we will play it all face up so I can advise on whats going on. He has 53o. I said you would fold here normally. The flop came 533. He looked at me and said "surely I should have played that would have been a good hand right"..........

A

aircable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some 6 years old kids that could beat most if not all people in this thread at Chess. I think the earlier you learn the better you will be, the hard part is sticking with it and not moving to something else.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I learnt to play draw poker and chess at eight. I gambled badly for years before Hold'em with it's rules and online coaches made me a better player, and yet i still don't have the patience to be a better than average player.
At eleven I don't think you would have the conceptual development or patience to grasp the intricacies involved in Hold'em.
Allow your child to be that, the adult world will hit them like a freight train soon enough.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Dear forum participants! Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old. To make money in the future...
Everything's possible when a child possesses enough intelligence and has fun at the things he/she's engaging in. When I was a teen I was really good at shooter games but my interest in them waned over time and nowadays a new generation displays skills I didn't even dream of back in my day. This and many other instances taught me to never underestimate children.

Last edited:
Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't think that's reasonable. At age 11, children have to learn completely different things, but not poker.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's good to teach kids to play poker at any age you could teach them the basic of poker little by little they could learn more and more.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would probably be possible. But the question is rather whether the child is interested in it… Somehow difficult to imagine at that age and since poker is also associated with risks, it would not be a hobby that I would exemplify to my child so early.

If it finds at some point of its own fun in this topic, than of course I would assist but for secure income, there are much better ways to show a child I think.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I think it's not possible. Child in this ages can't seat in peace for couple hours and think about cards and possibilities.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He should learn other skills at this age in order to be good at poker. Poker is a rough game. It's like putting someone to read without learning the alphabet.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not, in such a age it is easier to learn the game, find your own style, there is no money pressure if the child wants to. But it's better to start with chess and then go to poker.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to go about this so you do not teach any negative behaviors of gambling is to make certain (s)he risks nothing. There can only be reward for performance but not financial penalty for lack of. I did this with my 14 year old as I didnt want to teach the thrill of gambling and the negatives that often come with it. Tournaments are a good way to go.

You are going to have to remain calm. Its not worth it if your kid resents you for yelling about a mistake. Not everyone is fit to be a teacher.

People are speaking as if poker is potentially all bad but things that are true in poker are true in life as well.

Last edited:
F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear forum participants! Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old. To make money in the future...
Definitely, children pick up things so fast!