Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
The main thing is that the child himself wants this. Magnus Carlsen beat international grandmasters in chess at the age of 11. I taught myself to play cards at the age of 5 or 6, that was before I could read and write.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
IMO
it's possible, and if get interess about poker, keep learning about the game, probably when the 18 years + come, that person has much better poker player than 90% of forum.

For me, how more early u start some activity, the probality of you come a really god on this thing, is much more big if you start after ''old''.
Sports are the best example. Poker, like any sport is pratice and evolution.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you can. Read Stewart Ungar's biography, he started playing card games even before he was 11. And he was a genius at it.
Yes, he was definitely a genius, but he had many vices.
Conclusion: You can teach a child to play poker, but you should not do it. It is better at this age to teach him the exact sciences and chess. And he will come to poker on his own, if he wants it, at an adult age.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Members of the forum convinced me that this is bad !!!!

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
Dear forum participants! Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old. To make money in the future...
OC it is possible but i do not reccomend this for many reasons.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The topic of children and poker is very sensitive. On the one hand, poker is a game of chance, not at all for the child's psyche. On the other hand, how to protect a child from poker, if the parent(s) has poker not only as the main source of income, but also as a way of life. Boys are still more inclined to play poker than girls. I think it is possible to teach poker at this age .You should not prohibit, it is important to keep it under control.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As long as you get them to study!!! After school... do your homework for 30mins, then do your poker study for 45mins.... play D0Ns SNG's for 2hrs. Don't bother coming to the dinner table unless you are +$'s on the day. If in minus... keep grinding til' you're up! Eat dinner. Review hands with parents. Play 2 more hours of D0Ns sng's before bed. Do 5 posts on poker forum so you can be eligible for passwords. Read poker story book before bed. (ie. Doyle Brunson, Stu Ungar). Take Tues. & Wed. off. Weekends >> play Tournaments!

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear forum participants! Do you think it is possible to teach poker to a child, age 11 years old. To make money in the future...

it sure does. I'm even teaching my nephews who have this age group. They were fascinated by the math and possibilities of the game.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I taught my daughters to play when they were 11 and 13 but neither were/are majorly interested. My nephew on the other hand, loves the game. I taught him how to play at Christmas, he is 13 and is reading poker books, and watching loads of You Tube. It wont be long before he is taking money off me and my brothers!

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
11 is plenty old enough to understand the game.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Basic, Yes!
The Metagame, is a little harder.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the child. You can teach poker to any child of that age, but if the child also has a strong desire to learn poker and really enjoys it, then why not? I know my husband learned to play poker as a young boy and played often with his friends for fun.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you're teaching the game only I see no problem at all. No different then learning chess at that age, or any other game. The gambling part that has already been mentioned above of course is the concern, but if you're teaching healthy gambling skills, risks involved, setting limits, etc. then that actually could be very healthy to learn at a young age.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If the kid is interested, I think it's fine. It would be a fun way to teach about probabilities and not being results oriented, etc.. Even adults seem to fail at this.

As for the gambling concerns, this would also be a good way to teach about the potential dangers of gambling. Kids are surrounded by gambling and are probably partaking so I doubt it'll be as if your introducing the concept to them. At that age we played for "keeps" with Yugioh cards as well as other games.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
No, I prefer to teach him other things, but fundamentally that he studies!

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think its possible. But i think it would be not good, for the development of the child. For the majority of the adult person its hard to control the pokergambling. So the younger person has a big chance to getting in trouble with this theme of the game poker.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very strange topic .what for ? why ? hes a child let him play .i dont think so its impossible

M1n1GuN777

M1n1GuN777

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think so, especially if he wants it. Children are like sponges, absorbing everything easily. The main thing here is to teach him so that he is interested in some kind of game form. The question is rather, does the emu need it? I think that sports sections are much more important for a child, especially if he is hyperactive.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, no problem.
When my son was 11, he was sharp as a razor blade and was fully capable of learning poker.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Well, yes, I even think that it would become very good, that it would become an addiction, that is another matter.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that you can teach a child what you want, but it would be better, some sport, so that he can make friends and develop physically. I wouldn't want to sit in a chair for hours playing cards at 11 years old.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it's possible. At this age, children absorb information well. And it's not just about poker.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Maybe its possible..
But i think it's better to teach an 11 year old to play chess to become a GM in the future..
Chess should be taught from an early age. 11 is already too late.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You can teach him some card games, you can teach him patience and discipline, you can teach him mathematics.
In this way, later he can put all those together and be a good pokerplayer