Do You Think Before the Call?

freddy66

freddy66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yea and btw

would someone help us with that?determineing good value vs. bad.......please,lol:cool:

BlackMamba

BlackMamba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should think not only when you bet, but also when you want to discard your cards.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The actual act of calling requires thought. Each street changes that process. If you are thinking pre-flop on bluffing, that can change on the next street. Many times bluff is just there and presents it self that dead money can be had with a raise.

Better stated would be the degree of thought. Have you made the money, are you approaching the bubble, or early stages. The degree in which you put the thinking process to use is what makes a profitable players to one who likes to deposit.

How does one prepare for a MTT is the early stage in which the process starts. It doesn't end when you are out or even won it. It really never ends. Even when you win there are evaluation going on. There is no one who is going to say they don't think at the table. Some make poor choices, does that constitute not thinking?

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The indicated one is to play about 25% of the hands approximately. If you open more than this, your situation is complicated. You're going to make a lot of mistakes and lose a lot of chips. This certain, at certain times will hit big pots but most of the time will go wrong.

I'm a bit tighter than that i average between 20-22% have hit 25% on some tourneys and as low as 18% on others i do have a pretty tight range and my range is not set in stone sometimes if i am in CO or BTN i open up slightly more but I think I play a solid game with some bad calls that i should not make (sometimes i know I'm beat but still call anyway that is one of my leaks) :)

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
typically

there have been times ive made calls with out really thinking about it just acted to fast, but normally I do, unless I have stone cold nuts on river then I'm not thinking about the hand but rather how much I can get from my opponent

S

shair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, of course thinking, but some thinking can be in automatic mode became of experience.

T

TheWiseWeasel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cmon man...those questions :))) Of course everyone is thinking when they call or to whatever else at the tabel.

LBRASIL

LBRASIL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is crucial to my view, a poorly thought-out move worth much.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just think in advance and know your action if villain checks, bets small, medium, large, shoves
After a while regular actions becomes second nature. You give villain a range and narrow it down based on betting and players pattern

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on my cards. Good hand means I don't think too long. If I have quite a few outs I think about it some.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao. ya it's prob a good idea to give it a good think before you call.

Jockerist

Jockerist

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To think always need to. We are not robots.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course I do! If you play poker without think, you are just playing bingo haha

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, you have to look at where you are (position), opponents stack size, hud data, and what other notes of opponents you have. :ac4::as4:

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. Some calls are a must, like when holding AA or KK, but even with those monster hands you think it twice knowing that anything can happens (preflop if thats the case) post flop it is a different story

Djmickre

Djmickre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes u have to think before you call but sometimes you can over think thing and fold the winning hand.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes u have to think before you call but some times you can over think things and fold thewinning hand

Someone once said, thinking too much is complicating the hand.
I agree in parts, I think it is necessary to think, but to think with logic.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's important to think a few seconds before you can even play poker. At least to me, when I hesitate a few seconds, my opinion changes to make a good decision.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, I think it can not be otherwise. Sometimes I think more often sometimes less, but I always think

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Before you call I think. But not always receive as I have thought! Comes the moment of truth, whether I win or lose. I should not think only when I call, and the flop ?! Heck even with AA will lose, if I lost, I'm lost ... I have to think and sometimes fold! Quite broadened the question, but these are some implications of the call, always have them! Thought is an integral part of poker, I did not say anything new, but a good poker player must know when, what, why do!?

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thought process during a game is ;

Preflop; What's my position and do I have to call or Raise this hand and what will be my action in case of 3-Bet or 4-bet, is my hand worth the call or the raise? This will be determined by the Hand strength, number of players involved in action,my position and the type of players I will be facing.

Flop; What kind of boards Wet or Dry board? Any potential draws that could be in my opponent range? Am I ahead with this pot? what equity is there? Did I connect to the flop how many outs are there what's the maximum I can bet or call?What should be my action in case of reraise? Should I raise for info or raise for value or to bluff and take down the pot? What was my opponets raise for is it just a C-Bet or did he catch something on that board? On what hands I could put him!
Having all possible infos assessed after the flop will help us to get the best decisions on the next streets.
Turn: How much is already there?What percentage of my stack has been engaged there Am I pot comitted? does this card add values to my hand or to my opponent range?Should I call the turn and automatically call the river?
River the decision will be easier:2in1: did I get there should I slow play and trap him in a bluff or how much should value bet this hand ?
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. "

Harriet Tubman

soliddecor

soliddecor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before making the call we need to know what we are doing, whether we are betting on value or bluff.

For this it is necessary to know the style of the player, its tendencies and the size of the bet.

Otherwise you are playing by luck or level zero metagame, where you are only paying attention to your cards.
Making it totally predictable.

Do you think before the call?
probably everyone thinks. Including professionals - although at times an opinion is created that they have everything on autopilot :)

molodoi3000

molodoi3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think about what volume the range of hands the opponent plays. And whether can be in this distribution of his hand

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
probably everyone thinks. Including professionals - although at times an opinion is created that they have everything on autopilot :)

True, sometimes you know the profile of the villain and have faced that situation many times. He ends up knowing the movements in advance.