Do you prefer pocket pairs or suited connectors and why?

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For starters that all depends on how BBs effective the hand is playing at.
Then we consider the rest of the situation.

Jim

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
pocket pairs give me more piece of mind going into a flop

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how many bb I have, which pair I'm playing and which connector, for example, I prefer an 87 than a pair of 22

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I slightly prefer pocket pairs, but not by much.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer even poker, having a pair in my hand, I have more advantage against my opponents

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer pocket pairs. High-card value and absolute hand strength become more valuable when shortstacked. Playability, suitedness, and connectivity become more valuable when deepstacked. Because you have more implied odds, the value of hands that can draw to something nutted is increased. When deep, however, high equity, low playability and frequently dominated hands become less valued. Small pocket pairs, in particular, require larger stacks to play, especially when setmining.
The only time this rule does not apply is when you are extremely shortstacked and can open-shove and assure a showdown. Because they rely on implied odds to draw, small suited connectors do better deepstacked.

Last edited:
peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, you must be more precise, I will always pick AKs or KQs even JTs over 55 or 66, equity talks, but when you include position the measly 22 or 33 or even 54 become rleevant

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both, I think it depends on what players you have at the table with some playing more open with others maybe a little more closed

vardyonfire

vardyonfire

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CARDS on CHAT

Here from my point of view the answer is simple: you don't have to have favorite hands or superstitions, math will always beat and earn its bread. I always prefer the hand that has a better chance of winning, even if it is a few percent. I'd rather have AA in every hand and just play these cards. It's clear they can't come all the time but honestly I prefer 22 instead of Ak, because they can wreak havoc in a huge pot if a 2 comes in on the flop. 22 33 etc. :D

amartimes

amartimes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check the preflop range based on your table size. So you can vary your strategy. Also if it is tournament, the stages are different.

As cardschat video lesson starts with "position". Position is important to think if it is pocket pairs or suited connectors.

Have fun and grind well guys.

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe they both are nice to have but theres a lot to consider.. like stack sizes position on the table the villain you are playing with pocket pairs you dont have so much chances to improve your hand but when you do you can usually take a lot of chips if you play it right.. On the other side suited connectors you have great chances to improve your hand but when you get the nuts its a little harder to make villain pay your bets.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i prefer pocket rocket, cause it´s the best hand.