Do you prefer pocket pairs or suited connectors and why?

J

Jrrazor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer good cards and of flop to be monster, and another guy to reis cause he have 2 pairs or something and i already have 3 of a kind or something....

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The position of the player at the table plays an important role, but in general I prefer pocket pairs. AA, KK, QQ.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both hands can make money if played properly. Pocket pairs are easier to play so I like them more, but suited connectors make for great bluff combos and pulling the trigger on a big bluff in the right spot is always fun.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer pocket pairs or more specifically AA, KK, QQ and JJ. I do also like suited connectors like AKs and KQs though. Or the suited 1-gabber AQs. But maybe you mean small pairs and small suited connectors like 44 or 65s? These are actually losing hands for the majority of players, so I dont like them much, and I often fold them.

If I play them, its mostly in late position, when it folds to me, or if I get a good price to defend my big blind. In tournaments the value of small pairs go up, when you get short stacked, and often a hand like 44 can then be a jam, whereas 65s is a fold. This is, because 44 has more equity when called, and when you are all-in preflop, you are not facing difficult postflop decisions like what to do with third or fouth pair.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited connectors are over rated IMO unless it’s JT or better.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely prefer suited connectors over pocket pair. Just because I’ve been burned n also made more money with suited connectors than with pocket pairs. You just have more ways to catch something n knock out people who just play pocket pairs.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally, I like pocket pairs. I also believe it is worth mentioning (as some have in various words) that suited connectors seem to be more playable at deeper stacked poker, whereas pocket pairs already having "something" makes them better at shallower stacks when shove-fold might even be viable.

The danger of playing suited connectors (even more so than low pocket pairs I think) is the chance of making the second best hand or worse. Let us take and example of 9h 8h

Flop comes a dream for us with Qd Jc Ts

We just flopped a straight with our suited connector. Keep in mind this is a dream board for us, but are we really happy to get too many chips in when the opponent is giving us action?

The opponent(s) could easily have a higher straight and perhaps even outdraw us by hitting a flush (although I intentionally gave a rainbow flop to minimize this for our dream flop).

I don't know if this is justification or not to eliminate playing lower suited connectors entirely, but at the very least it highlights a very real danger.

Conversely, holding a low pocket pair like ducks (22) is more likely to fold in the face of resistance (or shove if effective stacks are small enough). The outs suited connectors offers might just be tempting enough to keep you invested in a pot you have almost no chance at winning.

I'll play anything if the situation is correct though ;)

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pairs for their deceptive value. They both get categorized in speculative hands to be played from late position with deepstack.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer pocket pair, I feel like you somehow have a bigger advantage playing them preflop than you do with suited connectors. Regards.

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on my chip stack and my position. Short in chips and out of position, a low pair to push it all in right away. In position, and with a lot of chips, I prefer suited connectors, so we can either play bluff when we don't hit or extract value when we hit a monster.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If my pocket pair hit, I would have 3 of a kind. I prefer suited connectors, because if I hit, my flush or straight would beat 3 of a kind.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With premium pairs, of course, it is best, with pairs it is better against one or two opponents, and one-suited connectors are very good in multipots.:)

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket pairs, because they can lead to a full house and that is a much stronger hand than a straight.

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I love the pocket pairs. It gives you more equity in the pot from the get-go. Suit might not always work out your way. With a dry flop, a pocket pair might just be the best hand in a lot of cases.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
High pocket pairs against one player, suited connector if I see flop with more player.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I like the big pairs but against a lower pair I would prefer suited connectors.

alison

alison

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer suited connectors because it gives you more chance to make straights or flushes

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

S

stank12345

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer pairs as I have more success with them Its too easy to try and chase the suited connectors and lose a lot of money

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you prefere pocket pair or suited connectors and why?

I would say it's situational. In general, I find the question very good, because I like both pairs and suited draws.

There are certain hands that you should play depending on the position and situation. I adapt a little bit and act intuitively according to feeling.:cool:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
prefer suited..

Have terrible luck with pairs, despite the probabilities. Suited connectors are my preference, because of all the outs, possibilities.