Do you like to show one card or both?

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Neither, there is absolutely no reason to give your opponent any information. If you do this then you are doing it wrong, if this is done for ego reasons, then you are probably a very emotional player that's tilts very regular.

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have activated the option to show my cards but I do it rarely almost never. I don't like to show my cards.

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't show. I do not want to give free information.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Since I played my first hand of poker fifty eight years ago, I've always lived by my own code which is "You'll have to pay to see them." :) However, one of the benefits of living by your own code is that you can break it when you choose to. If I have a spectacular hand like four of a kind or a straight flush, and my opponent folds, I will show them because people enjoy seeing hands like that. Sometimes if an opponent shows their hand to me while folding, and he or she seems to be nice, I'll show my hand too as a courtesy.

I have once shown them as part of a deal. My opponent proposed that he would fold if I showed him my cards, whatever I had would be the nuts so I showed them to him and he kept his end of the bargain. :)

I also never hide my cards when it comes time for the showdown. I'm usually the first one to turn them over regardless of where I am in the order of play. Just seems to be the sportsmanlike thing to do. ❤️

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I don't show my cards. I do not see any benefit for myself in this. In general, I think that showing cards means giving your opponent additional information.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i often expose 1 card , and sometimes both if i manage to get a pot uncalled holding a poor combination . i never expose a strong combination .

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good evening.When I started playing pokerI did it every now and them.After that, I realized I was wrong and I shouldn´t give any information about my hands to any of my opponents

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't like to show my cards, but sometimes I show one or both to confuse the villain or to induce a call when I'm not bluffing or them to fold when I show a big hand.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely show cards, thus we give the opponent extra information, when we show a bluff it is always -EV at a distance

rodnoy

rodnoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never.

I don't see the positive effect of this.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely show one card. At live games I ask which of the two they want to see. Just for fun.

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the course of the game and how I feel, when the game is going and I'm in a good mood I like to show both cards from time to time.

Madalin Poke

Madalin Poke

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I like to play with the minds of my opponents, and in my point of view, one of the methods applied by me it's that occasionally show them one card or even both of them in some particular times of the game, but not too often.

I think that creating a certain stable impression of others about me at the table opens up many opportunities for me in different moments of the game. 😁

For example, If I decide to create an impression that I am a tight player (folded a good card or cards wich many other players wouldn't give up on them easily, and even showing it after I make that fold) many will think that I'm playing fewer hands than the average. 🤫

So If they think that I play very secure (getting involved with a narrow range of hands), I can have much more chances to win a good bluff in the future of the game against them. 👀

Well but this is just my theory, everyone should play as they feeling to play.

All the best!

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I show my card(s) almost NEWER. Maybe one time per year. Who pays (call) can see.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I never show my cards. I prefer to keep people guessing but love getting to see other peoples cards!

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really depends what kind of picture I am trying to paint about me to my opponents. I believe you can manipulate with others emotions when showing your cards. :)

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I never show, if the opponent wants to see my cards, pay me and he will see

M1n1GuN777

M1n1GuN777

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to open two cards, especially if it's a bluff. This helps to inspire confidence in the opponent and catch them in the future.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I show both, when I had a good hand. I show because I want players to see and that I don't bluff. I want them to think I always have the goods when I play a hand. Then I can steal them blind.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don't usually show my cards, I also leave the option of not showing pre-selected (for the game flow faster) - you can find benefits and harms in both options, it depends on the game profile of each one.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just do it when I want to play my opponets mindset.. on a bluff or when I play a Big one slowly.. but I usually note that down so I can play different next time against them

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never been a big fan of showing cards, but I have added it to my game and sometimes I like to show one...usually something that doesn't connect or I show one card when I have really made a set or something like that. I see a lot of people who will show ace high or show both cards. I am interested in everyone else's approach and feelings on the matter.
I never show my cards, i like to keep em guessing

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A lot of people play very static, robotic poker. They've set their ranges. They've set their bet sizes. They've set their minimum outs to proceed.
If you could see every hand, you could then use that to predict future behaviour.
This is because without seeing your actual hole cards, the only information thay have is how you bet from that position with that board run-out.

Generally, we don't show all our hands because that would make us easy to beat.
So why should we show any hands at all?

So what are you trying to achieve when you show?

If you are showing after everyone has folded, and you show strength. Well, I guess you're trying to demonstrate that everyone folding was a good thing. And that they should fear your bets. This is only helpful to you if you are also bluffing with frequency. If you are a straight up NIT or TAG, and you show you'd have won it...and you do not bluff...you have just reduced the likelihood of someone calling you to the river, thereby limiting your earned value.
So showing strength is only useful when it is to be follwoed by bluffs. except NOW, you've just gone and told him you're going to bluff...or at least has put them on the lookout for it.

And if you were bluffing and showed, what you achieve is typically annoying someone, possibly putting them on tilt.
If this is your goal, well. OK. I don't like it. But at least it is a strategy.
If you're not, all you've done is taken a person who thought they made a good fold, and slapped them telling them they're so stupid, they're throwing chips away.

So what is the impact on their behaviour. They are going to be watching out for you. Theyre also going to want revenge for being made to look silly. This is fine if you fully intend to continue playing tight as a drum...but remember...you are a bluffer. So much a bluffer that you SHOW poeple you are.
That just means everyone has you labelled as a danger which must be stopped.

So what you find is people playing coy around you. They are looking for the hands to three-bet your ass. They are going to put pressure on you.

I guess, what I'm trying to say, is that the best thing to be, at the poker table, is generally invisible, relatively respectful, and minimising the amount of info you give away. You need to change it up, now and again so that patterns do not emerge when another analyses your gameplay.

Showing your cards does the opposite. It puts you in people's sights. It removes your invisibility. Revealing the bluff is semi-disrespectful. And as we said, it gives away information that your opponent did not have to pay for.

The goal is to manipulate behaviour. You want to make your opponent uncomfortable with their decisions. So you have to be able to mix it up for these strateegies to have a positive effect. But in general, I think the attention it draws is bad news.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I agree with many commentators who wrote their opinions above - any information about the cards you play with is somehow information about you as a player and about your style of play. It can be used against you (and most likely will be) regardless of what you personally put into the intention to show one or both cards.