Do you ever fold AK or even QQ (preflop) ?

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You definitely don't play for a stack in deep stack stage with AKo, for example.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you ever fold :as4::kh4: or even :qs4::qh4: (preflop) ? And if so, then in which cases?
Hello players. Man, lately I've been doubling up because whenever I've slowplayed and I've also noticed that the deck punishes players who slowplay these pocket hands.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes with deep stacks and heavy action like there is an UTG open, an UTG+1 3-bet, a HJ 4-bet, I sit on BTN with AK, and we are 50+ BB deep. Or as the mid stack on the bubble of a SnG. Lets say we are 3 players left in a 6-man SnG, and 2 places pay. BTN has 3BB and folds, SB has 35BB and jam, and action is on me with a 10BB stack. Then AK is a fold, because even if SB is on a range of any two cards, AK dont have enough equity to compensate for the fact, its a disaster for me to bust and not cash, while BTN is still hanging around with such a short stack.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With too much actions and multiway reraises

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never reset, even if 1 player is up to the prizes, a matter of principle

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Once you've figured out how to use the starting hand chart, you should be pretty confident preflop. Choosing the right starting hands is half the road to success, and many players are throwing money away at this stage. They play too many hands and they just don't know when it's best not to get involved in a fight. If you play according to the starting hand chart, carefully choose the starting hands you play, you can avoid many difficult and unpleasant decisions post-flop. Especially at low limits, a lot of money is lost just in those situations where the player simply does not know how to act, being still an inexperienced player. "Pass - saved money" - that's your motto while you're still learning.Personally, I do not reset and go to the end.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Why yes, why not, why don't? Because if...:)

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I only fold if there is already a 4-bet and on prize bubbles or final table.

AdiS18

AdiS18

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
When there are still 2-3 players in all in....then....maybe!!

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
it depend of the structure and how much BB i have and also how much there are player left in the hand, and also opponents actions preflop. For sure i can be folding these hands but most of time i will say 70% of the time you have to play them and also play them agressively :D

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Yes it happens I fold both AK and QQ if I am close to the money and if I feel that other players go all-in with a stronger hand.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's a good question that has several answers because we can't determine our play just by looking at the cards we have in our hand. What stage of the game are we at? What is our position? How many people entered the hand? What is the bet size? How big is our stack compared to other players? All of this has to be weighed and measured before deciding to pay or fold.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding pocket pairs preflop is a difficult decision, as they have a lot of potential to make big hands. However, there are certain situations where it may be correct to fold them.

One important thing to consider is your position at the table. If you are in early position (first few seats to the left of the dealer), it may be more correct to fold pocket pairs as there are many players yet to act who could potentially have a stronger hand. In contrast, if you are in late position (closer to the dealer), you have more information about the other players' actions and may be able to make a more informed decision.

Another important factor to consider is the players at the table. If you are playing against tight and aggressive players, it may be more correct to fold pocket pairs as they are less likely to pay you off with a weaker hand. On the other hand, if you are playing against loose and passive players, you may be able to get more value out of your pocket pairs.

It's also worth considering the board texture and the likelihood of making a strong hand with your pocket pair. For example, if there are a lot of higher cards on the board, it's less likely that your pocket pair will be the best hand, so you might want to fold it.

In general, it's important to always consider the specific situation at the table and use your best judgement when deciding whether to fold pocket pairs preflop.

To answer the specific question, folding :as4::kh4: or even :qs4::qh4: preflop is a difficult decision and it depends on the factors mentioned above, position, players and the likelihood of making a strong hand. When you're in early position against tight-aggressive players, it might be better to fold, while in a late position against loose-passive players, you may be able to get more value out of your pocket pairs.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes A.K on bubble or when they push me to shove .QQ on bubble again....

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Making decision to fold a premium hand preflop should be based on your table position. Example, if your holding QQ and 3 other players go all in before you.... Then it might be a good decision to lay them down

1Payou

1Payou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I get re-raised all in and I have 2 deep stacks that call ahead of me then yeah I would prob fold. If I am short stacked then I prob would take my chances with a call.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Yes, I have folded and most of the time it depends on my position at the table and my stack.
If I'm the chip leader and I'm sitting on CO or BTN, I might take the risk of calling or going all in, if there aren't too many villains trying to steal the pot.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I've folded AK preflop in several situations.

But the AKs i really tough to fold.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ak seems for me a strong hand at the begining of tournaments but as deeper tournament goes, I fold AK often. QQ i fold very rarely.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course there were such cases. Usually it is in multipot and allin.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Imagine this situation. You are in live poker tournament and entry was 150€, first hand, you get QQ and before you two of them go all in (preflop). I would fold. I would be pissed but I don't want to be out of tournament on first hand.

I would even think to fold it on Monthly freeroll, in first several hands.

So, it depends on situation where, when...etc, etc

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
as incredible as it sounds, when I'm really short and I'm struggling to make it to the ITM.
satelites too.

rvicente13

rvicente13

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it hurts my soul to fold these hands pre flop
it all depends on the size of my stack, the villain... the dynamics of the table, among other factors

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the bubble of Satellite game where i have guaranteed ticket even AA i will fold preflop in early position where so many big stacks that cover me.

Folding in Poker