• Thread starter screamingmidget
  • Start date
S

screamingmidget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if this is clever or incredibly stupid, but earlier I was dealt an AA. I checked (to check-raise), then 6 players went all-in (poor players but one of them is always going to get the perfect flop they are that lucky).

It just feels strange folding an AA but isn't AA vs 6 other players, unlikely to win? Especially when you just know one of them will get lucky (again).

T

TriszPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if this is clever or incredibly stupid, but earlier I was dealt an AA. I checked (to check-raise), then 6 players went all-in (poor players but one of them is always going to get the perfect flop they are that lucky).

It just feels strange folding an AA but isn't AA vs 6 other players, unlikely to win? Especially when you just know one of them will get lucky (again).

No , this is horrible. You still have way higher chance then 1/6...

Only spot to consider folding AA is in satellites before the bubble with a stack that already has a stack needed to qualify, but losing an allin preflop would set you back to last places.

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did fold AA a few times in tournaments just before the money.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Years ago I folded aces at Omaha on the bubble, and cashed. Aces are not that great at this game.

S

screamingmidget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So who is right?

Against 6 'all-ins' after my check, why should I be calling?

What are the odds of me actually winning?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I have never folded AA preflop and I don't see why I would.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is true that your reasoning but try to do it with a real deck right there at your house and see how many times other players win to make sure you match or not in online games

Good luck to me.

reska11

reska11

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only when the tournament is in the bubble phase when I am short stack or shortly before entering the checkout in satellite tournaments

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never fold AA preflop. But it would be possible for me to do it if I get this hand just at the bubble and am just stacked enough to get itm. But it is the only case I would fold the aces preflop.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
NEVER :)

***(In a tournament satellite if I am already qualified , I might do it , but extremely rarely , so hard to fold them preflop :))

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe after seeing the flop but never at pre.

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You can't fold aa preflop, maybe after flop, yes.

Y

yabu77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold AA pre flop, never.

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a good enough stack to place in a tournament, I think you need to dump AA.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right in this case and you need to do it. The probability of losing is very high. And if you are playing in a good tournament, then fold AA is a must. I haven’t had to do this yet, but I will definitely do it.

PC91

PC91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Never. Maybe i will do when i'm in the bubble and many players goes all-in.

S

screamingmidget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite a mix of opinions.

What are the actual odds of winning AA vs like 6 other all in opponents?

Someone is surely going to luck a 2 pair?

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I can't fold preflop AA:)

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that case I think you should have raised. This way, some of the players will fold and there will be less than 6 players on the flop. Even though you already have the highest chances with AA less players is always better.

stig7tfm

stig7tfm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only when I have enough chips in a satellite that I don't have to get involved in the action at all.

K

Kelator

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
I did today, I was 3/11 in a sat with top 10 getting tickets. Chipleader went all in pre and I folded my AA easily. Can't imagine many other situations were I would though.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe the problem was not raising with AA yourself. Perhaps if you open-raised, then so many wouldn't have continued. Then you can more safely play AA versus one or two opponents versus 6 players.

With so many All-ins, I could easily join as well with AA, but I could also see myself folding preflop here too! Yeah, I know some might give me a bunch of heat about this - but if my skill edge is higher than these players, then I can wait for a different spot to outplay them instead of flipping or getting it in as a slight favorite.

Open-raising makes it less inclined to get into this weird spot though.

Just for messing around, I put a specific holding for each player into Equilab. I didn't do AA versus 5 random players because it would take too long to evaluate. Here is one situation I picked:

AdAh - 42.73% (Our debated AA)
KsKc - 11.11% (Solid pocket pair usually worth shoving and just a cooler vs AA)
AcKh - 3.98% (AK is a premium hand preflop, but not so great to commit too many chips with and especially against AA or KK that dominates it as the case here)
2d2h - 16.65% (just picked a lower pocket pair)
9s8c - 16.13% (picked connected cards far enough from the Broadway cards that it has some chances to outdraw them and win)
Td4c - 9.40% (Just picked a trash hand to see how it would compare)

As we can see here, AA is less than 50% equity versus all of these players even if it is the favorite to win the hand.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to call when have A A , rarely i fold , some time you can lose with high hand A A , if all in the winning is higher than flopping .

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure if this is clever or incredibly stupid, but earlier I was dealt an AA. I checked (to check-raise)

Its not possible to check preflop, but maybe you mean, that you limped with intention to limp-reraise?

then 6 players went all-in (poor players

If you folded, then you made a much bigger mistake than any of the other 6 players, even if they had trash like 72o. So focus on improving your own game rather than grading others.

but one of them is always going to get the perfect flop they are that lucky).

No they are not. They are no more or less lucky than you, and they are going to win exactly the percentage of the time, they are supposed to.

It just feels strange folding an AA

And it is.

but isn't AA vs 6 other players, unlikely to win?

No its not. As others have said, you will have less than 50% chance to win, but when you do win, you increase your stack 600%. And this is way more valuable than continuing more often but with a much smaller stack.

Especially when you just know one of them will get lucky (again).

Which again is just a pile of nonsense.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Maybe the problem was not raising with AA yourself. Perhaps if you open-raised, then so many wouldn't have continued. Then you can more safely play AA versus one or two opponents versus 6 players.

With so many All-ins, I could easily join as well with AA, but I could also see myself folding preflop here too! Yeah, I know some might give me a bunch of heat about this - but if my skill edge is higher than these players, then I can wait for a different spot to outplay them instead of flipping or getting it in as a slight favorite.

Open-raising makes it less inclined to get into this weird spot though.

Just for messing around, I put a specific holding for each player into Equilab. I didn't do AA versus 5 random players because it would take too long to evaluate. Here is one situation I picked:

AdAh - 42.73% (Our debated AA)
KsKc - 11.11% (Solid pocket pair usually worth shoving and just a cooler vs AA)
AcKh - 3.98% (AK is a premium hand preflop, but not so great to commit too many chips with and especially against AA or KK that dominates it as the case here)
2d2h - 16.65% (just picked a lower pocket pair)
9s8c - 16.13% (picked connected cards far enough from the Broadway cards that it has some chances to outdraw them and win)
Td4c - 9.40% (Just picked a trash hand to see how it would compare)

As we can see here, AA is less than 50% equity versus all of these players even if it is the favorite to win the hand.

Good stats.
It highlights why you want to get away from multiway pots.
Normally, AA vs something like AKo is nearly a 92% favourite.
92% (heads up) vs 42% (multiway)
Those are pretty stark differences in odds.

So limp them from early position f you want, but I'd rather have everyone fold and I take the blinds than have a multiway and risk losing the whole stack.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Folding in Poker