Dealing with 3bets pre-flop

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like this.... you start doing that and you will start letting players enter your pot with unknown hands.. Fine for ONE time for balance MAYBE just to trap, but I do not like this long term..

I guess it's not a long term solution. You only have to do it once to cool the guy and go from there. It just levels the playing field with him a little.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think its good play to fold every time you 3bet and get reraised, after a couple of times i would think he just wants to bully me for my chips,after that i would deff go in a race with him..

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think its good play to fold every time you 3bet and get reraised, after a couple of times i would think he just wants to bully me for my chips,after that i would deff go in a race with him..

I would actually say it's insane to keep playing with a guy who's raising that much more than you can handle. You need to get information from people when they bet. If he's buying too much, just get out. I played with a guy who bet $65 in a 1/3 game constantly. He called my reraise after the flop. I had pkt J's w/ 10,7,2 on the board and he ended up w/ pkt 8's. Runner runner was 6-9. You have no control and a massive amount of equity you are risking.

I thinkl the difference is people who do and don't have the spare cash to back up that kind of play. And it is just "play," remember. More serious players should see playing with that guy as a joke in that respect.

B

badameli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your opening raise? 3x or 2.5? Once you are under 20 BB I agree with a shove and getting rid of the ATs/AJs hand if you are not going to shove there.

If I'm playing AT/AJ I'd rather not see a flop and just take the blinds/ante.

Also, if a guy senses weakness and is gunning for you, I'd put pressure on him to risk his stack rather than rely on your sense of preservation/risk adversity.

B

badameli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You broke it down like A10 is a fold AQ is a jam AJ I'm not sure..... They are all the same hand they are either ahead of villains 3 betting range or he has you crushed

AQ is much better against KJ than AJ is against KQ. I see a large difference.

F

franknavin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would min raise these hands and if you have to fold your not losing too much of your stack. i always act very aggressive though if there's only two people behind me. then its a shove everytime

B

badameli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would min raise these hands and if you have to fold your not losing too much of your stack. i always act very aggressive though if there's only two people behind me. then its a shove everytime

With a min raise you are giving odds to almost every hand to play you. Then you can’t tell your opponents range. Are you talkIng cash game? If so - I agree with the play, but for tournament, I disagree strongly.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are letting big stack bully you then you are bleeding chips and not getting a chance to make chips by folding before a flop.
I would shove in good position and let big stack bully think about risking a good part of his chips instead of having to fold to him.

B

badameli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there’s not

I'll take my 3.5% advantage. I also know that when I hit, I'm confident I'm good (if 2 face hit the flop) and I'm more likely to dominate an opponent. All said and done when I make a 4 bet I'm probably not called by JT, or 87s.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll take my 3.5% advantage. I also know that when I hit, I'm confident I'm good (if 2 face hit the flop) and I'm more likely to dominate an opponent. All said and done when I make a 4 bet I'm probably not called by JT, or 87s.

If you are putting villain on 3 betting (KJ and KQ) exactly in this scenario that OP stated! and don't understand that those hands are the same in THIS situation then I give up on trying to help you.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the same villian keeps threebetting you, you can exploit his play by opening a tighter range when he has yet to come in behind you.