Dealing with 3bets pre-flop

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say I open raise with A10s, AJs, AQs, in a medium stage of a tournament with more or less 15-25 BB, and someone with a large Stack keeps 3beting me...
I am folding every Hand because I dont know What to do. And more I fold more they raise

Can someone explain How to play these hands?

I open these hands in Button, Hijack, Cuttoff, MP 1, MP 2 and sometimes AQs and AJs from UTG+1 and UTG+2

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well 1st your range for opening is a bit wide, you should break down 15-19bb stack as open shoving especially from late position. Then 20-25bb as a stack to open off of, it depends on what position you open from and what position 3bets you but my guess is you’re over folding. I would happily 4-bet jam even A10s from the cutoff to a 3-bet from any position maybe except the BB if that player is tight. When you open off a stack around 20-25bbs you should have a plan if you get 3-bet. You might think shoving in those situations is punting but it’s actually printing as you will take down the pot pre flop a lot and even if you’re up against KK with A10s you still have 32% and 12% vs AA which are rare and you block AA, so you’re rarely going to be doing awful when called. Again it does matter how your opponent plays as well as your image at the table.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's how you play large stacks, a way to avoid getting in this situation is to go all-in with premium cards and fold with all others, or min 3 bet perhaps, anyhow thats what large stacks are supposed to do, in theory you need a large stack yourself, else your odds to make it to the later stages gets worse, so perhaps work instead of building large stacks so you can do this to small stacks instead

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a bad situation to be in. When someone reraise me I usually give them credit the two first times. If he continue to 3 bet I think you should 4 bet shove the hands you listed (maybe even lighter). We need to play hands to build a stack, and we can not be in a situation where we can only play our monsters. This would lead to a slowly and certain decrease of the stack.

If you 4 bet shove villain will in most cases get the point and stop. If he continues we will get in a race at some point. This is not a situation I want, but its better to bust in a race (in this case you have a chance, you could even doubble up), than be blinded out.

If you are down to 15bb (or close) you should consider open shoving in this spot.

My 2 cents

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok , I Will note every 4bet shove and see If It works, thank you guys!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AT and AJ are "win a small pot or lose a massive pot" hands as known in the poker community. They are very often dominated so I'd release them into the muck from UTG+1.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with these hands not only precludes winning the pot by being aggressive but also reducing the value of your hand by encouraging a multiplayer pot. The hands that the Aqs, Ajs, and others do postflop is dependent on the number of opponents. Each additional opponent who sees the flop reduces the value of hands with a pair, I would raise, and call depending on the post flop.
Many players try to isolate to play with a maximum of 2 players, so do not lose the strength of the hand, because if the board comes down, you need to go check and control the pot to try to improve the hand on the river. you have 10bb, or 15bb, it goes from shove because it is much more + EV ..

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the 25BB range I tighten up a lot, if I have a player 3Betting me with their stack, I will typically Open Shove with those types of hands, and actually standard open with Monsters in hopes they will 3 bet so I can get more then just the blinds.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation, I usually fold or just press the bet to see the flop, we lose position, and it all depends on the flop cards.

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly i almost never 3 bet unless i hage aomething crazy like KK or AA andni have raises in front of me...but i always either 2 bet or 2.5x BB...this isnt recommended by many but i prefer to see flops without paying, especially wheb im in a cash game playing a bit loose...but in general try to save 3, 4 or 5 bets for the cards that you have a high win rate with like AA, KK or QQ...just my opinion and im sure theres a better way lol

G

geoff4376

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that position, I'm shoving every time. I would probably just open shove with <25 bb, especially in the later stages.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
tighten up some when you are short and keep getting 3bet by the big stack. you can also slip in a 4bet jam to back them off a bit. But at some point you need to be willing to 4bet or call a jam with hands like ajs aqs aqo ect.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I with these and with those chips I'd rather bet all my chips against players who have more chips so I cheer for and be paid double.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If some big stack keeps bullying you around, it's ok to shove. You gotta double up to survive anyway. If you are raising and folding to every 3 bet, you are just bleeding chips.

Q

qxcydx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
same old story mate youre not tight enough and not aggressive enough.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are in the middle of a tournament with a 20bb and open with hands like AQ, AJ and ATs, if a player deep stack 3bet you, 4bet all-in! Most of the time in this type of situation you have the best hand and he's only using the stack to try to intimidate you and put pressure on you!

Of course you might against hands like AA-KK for example, but most of the time this is not what will happen and you'll most likely be in a coinflip.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you are in the middle of a tournament with a 20bb and open with hands like AQ, AJ and ATs, if a player deep stack 3bet you, 4bet all-in! Most of the time in this type of situation you have the best hand and he's only using the stack to try to intimidate you and put pressure on you!

Do ya think so? Putting pressure on a 20bb stack that's opening? I'd think more often than not you'd have next to no fold equity on a 4bai AND that typically players will assume you are opening with top of your range while on 20bb's (if you're not open-shoving with it).

OP, I think instead of asking "how do I play these hands", maybe ask "how do I play in these 'spots' or 'vs. these types of players in these spots'.
If you want more specific responses, try posting up a Hand History (please read the instructions on CC on how to do this so that you'll get the best responses). Hope to see you posting up some HH examples soon!

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do ya think so? Putting pressure on a 20bb stack that's opening? I'd think more often than not you'd have next to no fold equity on a 4bai AND that typically players will assume you are opening with top of your range while on 20bb's (if you're not open-shoving with it).

OP, I think instead of asking "how do I play these hands", maybe ask "how do I play in these 'spots' or 'vs. these types of players in these spots'.
If you want more specific responses, try posting up a Hand History (please read the instructions on CC on how to do this so that you'll get the best responses). Hope to see you posting up some HH examples soon!

I agree with this. There was a few solid responses, but Poker Orifice is right you need to post the hand histories so we can dive deeper. For the small amount of information given having a balance of 4bet Jamming and folding is good. When I play I like to be "in charge" there is a massive amount of dead money to be won from players that are just "scared" to play. If villain is three betting you constantly then you know he's 3 betting light a percentage of the time, and mixing those hands you listed in your 4 bet shove range against "this" type of player would be profitable. I would still like to go a little further into thoughts about this, but I want to know more about the table and the players, your perceived range as well.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try this

If he keeps 3-betting you, stop betting and let him bet first. If you have a hand, call him or maybe even then you re-raise! Slow play a great starter and turn it around on him.

Let him think you are nervous and then play the good cards you're dealt.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he keeps 3-betting you, stop betting and let him bet first. If you have a hand, call him or maybe even then you re-raise! Slow play a great starter and turn it around on him.

Let him think you are nervous and then play the good cards you're dealt.

I don't like this.... you start doing that and you will start letting players enter your pot with unknown hands.. Fine for ONE time for balance MAYBE just to trap, but I do not like this long term..

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say I open raise with A10s, AJs, AQs, in a medium stage of a tournament with more or less 15-25 BB, and someone with a large Stack keeps 3beting me...
I am folding every Hand because I dont know What to do. And more I fold more they raise

Can someone explain How to play these hands?

I open these hands in Button, Hijack, Cuttoff, MP 1, MP 2 and sometimes AQs and AJs from UTG+1 and UTG+2

With your stack size and an aggressive 3bettor behind you, you should tighten up (fold, A10) If he has been over-aggressive you can 4bet jam AQ over him. And AJs is right on the borderline. Depends how aggressive he has been.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With your stack size and an aggressive 3bettor behind you, you should tighten up (fold, A10) If he has been over-aggressive you can 4bet jam AQ over him. And AJs is right on the borderline. Depends how aggressive he has been.

I personally don't think it does, but I kinda see merit in what you're saying but A10 AJ AQ or all the same hand in this scenario..

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't think it does, but I kinda see merit in what you're saying but A10 AJ AQ or all the same hand in this scenario..

How would it not matter? The more aggressive villain has been with his 3-betting frequency, the more likely he is to be 3-betting light. So depending on your read, AJ may be well ahead of villains 3-bet range.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How would it not matter? The more aggressive villain has been with his 3-betting frequency, the more likely he is to be 3-betting light. So depending on your read, AJ may be well ahead of villains 3-bet range.

All of em would be ahead of villains 3 betting range that's my point. They are all the same hand in this example

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You broke it down like A10 is a fold AQ is a jam AJ I'm not sure..... They are all the same hand they are either ahead of villains 3 betting range or he has you crushed