Calculating Pot Odds and Odds of Hitting your Outs.

M

Mikan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
JP
Chips
Hi!
Total beginner here but I just want someone to check my understanding of these two important areas of poker. So say there is 8 dollars in the pot and my opponent calls 2 dollars that comes to 10 dollars in the pot. I have to call 2 dollars. So 10/2 is 5. So Pot odds are 5 to 1. A call of 2 dollars to win 10 dollars are at pot odds of 5 to 1. Now to calculating the odds of hitting my outs. Say I have a 5 of diamonds and 6 of spades. Say the dealer has dealt 3 cards on the table, 8 of clubs, 9 of hearts, and 2 of spades. To get a straight I need a 7 on the turn to make the straight.
So there are 52 cards. Minus 2 cards in your hand that is 50. Minus 3 cards dealt. So there 47 unseen cards. 43 of the the unseen cards will give you a loss. 4 outs that will give you a win. So the odds of winning a straight on the turn is 10 to 1 roughly? Is my calculations correct? Thanks, Chris

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello poker partner.
I found your question very interesting, as mathematical probabilities are difficult for me. I won't give you a definitive answer though, but from what I have heard from poker players, in your calculation you would also need to give the odds on both the turn and also the river. But I'll wait for some more professional player to leave the answer here and learn as well.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Its more simple write and read like this:
You have 5d6s
The table has 8c9h2s

Pot odds: your $contribution to the pot.
Odds: your chance to hit a winner hand.

There are a little diference in notation, you have 2$/$12 = 1/6 <=> 1:5 <=> 16,666% is good to know this but that is justa little detail.

Yeah, your calculation is correct. But you can easily calculate the odds(%) of your outs multiplying by 2, you'll get a similar result. Ex: 4 outs x 2 = 8% to hit your straight on the turn.

You can calculate the equity like this
PotOdds<Odds =Call

Last edited:
M

Mikan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
JP
Chips
Hello poker partner.
I found your question very interesting, as mathematical probabilities are difficult for me. I won't give you a definitive answer though, but from what I have heard from poker players, in your calculation you would also need to give the odds on both the turn and also the river. But I'll wait for some more professional player to leave the answer here and learn as well.
Yeah I'm not particularly good at math. I did study business statistics back in the day. Only just passed it and covered probability and standard deviation. Just learning poker for fun. I like backgammon and chess too.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi!
Total beginner here but I just want someone to check my understanding of these two important areas of poker. So say there is 8 dollars in the pot and my opponent calls 2 dollars that comes to 10 dollars in the pot. I have to call 2 dollars. So 10/2 is 5. So Pot odds are 5 to 1. A call of 2 dollars to win 10 dollars are at pot odds of 5 to 1. Now to calculating the odds of hitting my outs. Say I have a 5 of diamonds and 6 of spades. Say the dealer has dealt 3 cards on the table, 8 of clubs, 9 of hearts, and 2 of spades. To get a straight I need a 7 on the turn to make the straight.
So there are 52 cards. Minus 2 cards in your hand that is 50. Minus 3 cards dealt. So there 47 unseen cards. 43 of the the unseen cards will give you a loss. 4 outs that will give you a win. So the odds of winning a straight on the turn is 10 to 1 roughly? Is my calculations correct? Thanks, Chris
Hello brother
Let's see, I'll try to understand the situation
If the pot is $8 and your opponent calls $2 and you call $2, the pot would be:
U$s 12 ( 6 in U$s 2 each one ) that is the possibility of winning the pot of each one is 16% or 6 to 1 as you prefer.
Now let's go preflop
your hand is :5d4::6s4:
The flop is: :8c4::9h4::2s4:
that is, until that moment your hand of possibilities would be only :7s4::7c4::7h4::7d4:, that is, you are in an 8% chance of making your big play on the turn or river.
But it is also to be taken into account that if, for example, on the turn the card is a :3d4: diamond, your possibilities increase, and your outs would be 8 :7s4::7c4::7h4::7d4::4s4::4c4::4h4::4d4:. And well, after the river, God and the force are with you hahahaha :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's about getting your big hand now well before many players saw it as crazy to call a closed out as this situation is often called. To keep in mind, it is not a two-pronged open staircase project where your possibilities double. But I have read several comments that today they do not see it so strange to pay for a closed out because as always the luck factor exists and if the payment does not affect your stack of chips too much, luck accompanying you, you can leave out any player who trusts for example in a top pair.
But as for the possibilities, if you base yourself only on them, they are those, the rest are game decisions.
I don't like the outs calculator because I use poker a lot at my age precisely to sharpen my mind.
I hope I have understood and helped you. Cheers ;););)

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Its more simple write and read like this:
You have 5d6s
The table has 8c9h2s

Pot odds: your $contribution to the pot.
Odds: your chance to hit a winner hand.

There are a little diference in notation, you have 2$/$12 = 1/6 <=> 1:5 <=> 16,666% is good to know this but that is justa little detail.

Yeah, your calculation is correct. But you can easily calculate the odds(%) of your outs multiplying by 2, you'll get a similar result. Ex: 4 outs x 2 = 8% to hit your straight on the turn.

You can calculate the equity like this
PotOdds<Odds =Call
Well explained. Very interesting, but we have to practice for it to stay in our minds.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always take into account not only what I have in my hand, but also what my opponents probably have their odds (in my opinion) 5 to 1 on the turn or river, depending also on your position

J

jasonmoone30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
I recommend checking out the free videos of the Wakko Poker show from Ambition Poker on YouTube buddy! He gives great explanations for beginners and for anyone looking forward to learn something new. Also, in the future, please use the shortcuts : s for spade, c for clubs, d for diamond and h for heart, and o for an offsuit hand. That way you can say you had 56o or 5s6c like a pro.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always take into account not only what I have in my hand, but also what my opponents probably have their odds (in my opinion) 5 to 1 on the turn or river, depending also on your position
Truth. We must always take into account the opponent's range. I have lost many hands for not taking this into consideration.

I recommend checking out the free videos of the Wakko Poker show from Ambition Poker on YouTube buddy! He gives great explanations for beginners and for anyone looking forward to learn something new. Also, in the future, please use the shortcuts : s for spade, c for clubs, d for diamond and h for heart, and o for an offsuit hand. That way you can say you had 56o or 5s6c like a pro.
I have trouble writing down the suits because I forget the names in English. For Portuguese speakers it is more complicated.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Whenever it's you to act you do this quick math:
In the pot: 10$
What is the amount to call ?
if it's 2$ the odds are : 10:2 or (you divide 10/2 =5 AND 2/2 = 1) and you'll get 5:1
if it's 3$ the odds are: 10:3 or 3.3:1 (you divide 10/3 =3.1 AND 3/3 = 1) and you'll get 3.1:1
To find the % you in the first case (5:1) you divide 1/5+1 = 0.1666 * 100 = 16.66%
For the second case (3.1:1) I'll let you do the mat :)

Now for your equity:
You calculate how much out do you got !
For a gutshut straight draw : 4 outs
52 total of cards - 3 the board - 2 your card= 47 unknown
4/47 = 0,0851 * 100 = 8.51 % (as there are 2 more cards to come we * 2) your equity in the flop is around 17%

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator