Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Harrington On Holdem - All are good but I use Vol 3 when I find I in a rut

The Theory of Poker - Terrible dry read, but great info

The Middle Zone - Short read but great concepts on the hands we see the most.

I've been recommended Harrington on Holdem a few times by really good players, I was worried that it might be a little outdated but people keep mentioning it so I think I might finally give it a go...

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
This will help balance your mind " The Inner Game of Tennis".
Can be applied to the whole of life too.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been recommended Harrington on Holdem a few times by really good players, I was worried that it might be a little outdated but people keep mentioning it so I think I might finally give it a go...

It is a bit outdated if you are going to play at some of the higher levels. However, I think it is a great foundational book that you can use to have a very solid core game, understand the thought process needed when playing a hand, and then allowing you to build off that based on your own style.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anything by Dan Harrington.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books never really helped me. I learned by playing.

I mostly just play now, but when I first started it made a big difference for me. I would play, read, apply what I read, then read again to find out better what the heck they are talking about.

Like a lot of other things, once you learn a lot you can better (go by your gut).
I work on computers in school system, so I read a lot at the beginning and then practiced what I read, then repeat. Now I can also go by my gut, a lot of things come automatically, some still need research. Unlike poker hardware and software changes are always happening.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started off reading Mike Sextons beginner book. Great for beginners, I have read dozens of books after that. Doyle Brunson's book I read and learned all about not going crazy at the start. Biggest thing I learned is that he stated it is not worth playing for big pots at the start of tourneys. It is a marathon not a sprint.
Phil Gordons books are very helpful, those I had to read, try to figure out what I read by playing, then repeat.

I still had the hardest time learning position, after I finally got it...so weird that it was hard for me...lol

I have read a lot of different books from a lot of different players.

A

Avanti3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is there one to go back to often?

A

Avanti3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
books!

Seems guy who don't play well are ones writing the Books!

A

Avanti3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
miller

Liked all stuff from Miller but haven't heard much lately

A

Avanti3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
books

Agree most Harrington stuff outdated now

B

bsamra

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a book but “Rounders”, it what got my into poker. To be honest I am more of a movie fanatic than a poker player.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have to learn to get into the opponents' minds, then I'll make money...book only at school....kkkk

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have to learn to get into the opponents' minds, then I'll make money...book only at school....kkkk

Books - - don't knock 'em til' you read 'em.

;)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 5138.png
    ScreenHunter 5138.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 7
pokercuttlefish

pokercuttlefish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
doyle and harringtons books. thanks to youtube. i prefer watching their play or interviews. my top picks from both are. harrington. "position,position position" doyle.
  • “Poker is war. People pretend it is a game.” Doyle Brunson
play your hand based on that particular time and moment. Stu. fold to live to fold another hand. daniel. small ball.
  • “Texas Hold’em, the game that takes a minute to learn but a lifetime to master.” Mike Sexton.
  • “Going on tilt is not ‘mixing up your play.” Steve Badger.
  • “The smarter you play, the luckier you’ll be.” Mark Pilarski
  • “You will show your poker greatness by the hands you fold, not the hands you play.” Dan Reed.
  • “There's no one that ever beat me playing cards, the only one that ever beat me was myself.” Stu Ungar.
  • “Poker is 100% skill and 50% luck.” Phil Hellmuth.(love ya man) if luck wasnt involved, all of us would have won a couple more hands.)
  • “The commonest mistake in history is underestimating your opponent; happens at the poker table all the time.” General David Shoup.
  • “The majority of players are looking for reasons to fold. I am looking for reasons to play.” Daniel Negreanu.(deep pockets help baby).
  • “The key to No-Limit is to put a man to a decision for all his chips.” Doyle Brunson.
  • “When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience.” Unknown. could go on and on but, i aint wring a book.. besides, i cant read" POKER LOVE EVERYONE. GL at the tables.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Andrew Brokos's books are great.

Excelling at NLHE by Jonathan Little (and its sequel) is also very good.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Gus hansens Aussie Millions, Doyle brunsons Super system
and the BEST is

Phill hellmuths guide to LIMIT HOLDEM.
books strategy tv none of it will give you the "enlightened " state your'e looking for.

you need to sit and theorize on your throne
to practice and repeat a strategy someone else created doesnt give you experiance for the future

only understanding do this dont do that with that is folly

No book will give you an understanding of principles like this one does

l

Phil's books pretty much suck and are written mostly about Limit Hold'em.
He does attempt to discuss different player types which he assigns animal names to which can at least help the reader (reader being a newer player.. 'rookie') to understand making adjustments to their play with thoughts of how their opponents are playing.

Any of the decent poker books will be teaching the reader how to think under different situations & generally never suggest 'do this' - - 'do that' type of stuff. Suggesting this tells me you likely haven't read any of the good (newer'ish') poker books out there on the market.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Andrew Brokos's books are great.

Excelling at NLHE by Jonathan Little (and its sequel) is also very good.

Agreed!

Andrew Brokos (a.k.a. 'Foucault') is an excellent writer and puts out some great books.
Aside from his two more recent ones (Play Optimal Poker 1 & 2), I've also read all of his other books... 'The Thinking Poker Diaries' (the ones where he describes his play in the wsop MainEvent)... I think there's 8 of them... And the 'Thinking Tournament Poker' books, Vol.1 & 2

I used to watch Andrew's training vids. on PokerSavvy Plus back in 2008-2009 and at the time was really impressed with them as I found it easy to digest some of the concepts/topics he was illustrating in them. His thinkingpoker.net blog site is great too!

*now I'm thinking I shouldn't have made this post .... do I really want others to gain this knowledge too? I guess 'why not'... I still suck at the pokerzzz so perhaps they will too.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything by Jonathon little tbh. Mastering small stakes Holdem will at least give you the tools to beat the lower stakes.