Which book has helped you the most

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"I am That" helped somewhat for some time. But the effect of it faded with time. I think I should read it again.

LoveAndPoker

LoveAndPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"How to divorce your wife so that she does not understand that you are a poker player?" )

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I expressed mine and it did not suit you, it happens, it's okay.
yes it is true my friend! These attitudes are really cool! I didn't mean to be rude, don't get me wrong. It is as you said the differences are what make us evolve and reach a common point. A hug man!:)

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello.I haven't read any books.you need to develop your own strategy.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a big reader and believer in books. Poker books are a passion of mine. Here are some thoughts for you:
  1. There is a lot of duplication among books, and a range of writing skill. Look past that. DO look for the unique things that can be found in each book. Every book has at least one or two ideas or concepts that can improve your game.
  2. Modern books will often tout (hype) the newest thinking. This is generally built on top of the "old" even if the writers don't admit it. It is an evolution. (Over many years I have found that reading things in the order in which they are written is a wise discipline. You get a much better feel for where things are going and why. I did this with Poker books, beginning with Brunson.)
  3. A couple of new books are compendia of articles (e.g. Excelling at No Limit Hold-Em by Little) that give you recent concepts, each written by the individuals who excel in important areas of the game. This is a wonderful way to get a lot of scope in a hurry.
  4. I have read all of David Sklansky and those team efforts by Sklansky/Miller and Sklansky/Malmuth. These books all made me think. And they often delve into statistical detail. This caused me to think deeply, even in the statistical zones that are not my strength. You can better choose strategies when you have this background. I particularly recommend the first Sklansky The Theory of Poker and the follow-on No Limit Hold em - Theory and Practice (with co-author Ed Miller) for the foundation they give.
  5. I completely agree with the many endorsements of Ed Harrington's three volumes. I strongly recommend all three. My reason for liking them is perhaps different that other players ... At the table you have got to do so much "thinking on the fly". Harrington seems to have gotten this down. Wrking through his hand and table analyses builds this skill better than other books in my opinion.
  6. I have found mistakes (not just typo's but thinking errors) in some books. It's a reason to get a second opinion. These mistakes will show up at the table.
  7. Please remember that no one author will will tell you all their best tricks and maneuvers if they are an active player. That's a reason, just by itself, to read a variety books written by different players.
  8. Finally, I have been a management consultant for decades, and also trained 1000's of people from which I learned this advice: Drill to the Level of Insight. If I wrote a book myself that would be the title. That's what winners do. It keeps them moving ahead in their fields of choice.
Good luck with reading. I agree it is not as much fun as playing! But all your playing will be MORE FUN once you have completed some reading.
UncleJeff
PS- I am including a photo from my main bookshelf

Man how I wish they had Portuguese versions for all these printed books!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Mental Game of Poker Jared Tendler

Dude, I've read some poker theory books, but I've never read a book like this, I haven't even finished it yet, but it has some amazing concepts! They are working very well! it's worth reading
The Mental Game of Poker Jared Tendler

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes it is true my friend! These attitudes are really cool! I didn't mean to be rude, don't get me wrong. It is as you said the differences are what make us evolve and reach a common point. A hug man!:)
This is indeed the case. The main thing is to take off your rose-colored glasses in time and get rid of illusions.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to repeat myself but I totally agree with what Maria Ho said in the podcast here, It takes constant practice to be good at poker, constant playing, (not the actual quote but summed up)

You can study all you want from any book but nothing will compare to putting In the hard work of playing and grinding and fine tuning your craft as you go.

It sort of reminds me of when I took radio television film in college, I had it all mastered technically, the second I was in the field, very little of what I learned mattered and needed to adapt to the real craft at hand that was the reality of the job.

I am not saying the concepts and the methods in these books are not true, but until you can actually apply them into practical application, it is all pretty much worthless to even know lol (so in a sense most of what is written in books are things you figure out as you go in ‘actually’ playing the game and developing your real craft.

Just my thoughts and again this is one person’s (my) view on studying poker.

Last edited:
G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for now none, because i think that everyone has their different points of view about poker and not everyone plays the same... i think that one should interpret the game in their own way and improve along the way based on mistakes and practice

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. I just decided to read books about texas hold em no limit tournament strategy. Please advice your best 3.
Well, I think the poker book don t help you, if you want learning poker, play freeroll and smallest buy in and you learn from mistakes.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

I think poker books will not help if there is no practice of applying it on a daily basis. But, books not about poker read in childhood and adolescence can significantly help maintain peace of mind during the downstream period.

A

acenit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doyle's supersystem was my go to when I first started, now a lot of games have been solved since

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think the poker book don t help you, if you want learning poker, play freeroll and smallest buy in and you learn from mistakes.

Agree, total waste of time, some videos can be helpful at the beginning, but the best is find your own way through playing on micro level, going upper, you can recognize the differences...

Only one exception, what is not much about poker, more about basic math, counting variance, probability, knowing most of the hands chances on all streets, also knowing the chances of your opponents etc. but it is really not much about poker, how you play your hands, and you dont need a book for that, even there are few good specifically about that.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"The secret" is a good one to.
It is definitely more on the motivational side of poker rather than the strategy
be6420f872c858fb115f6b3e802b2809.png

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Jared Tendler- Mental Game Of Poker
after i read the book my mindset got way stronger.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm a big reader and believer in books. Poker books are a passion of mine. Here are some thoughts for you:
  1. There is a lot of duplication among books, and a range of writing skill. Look past that. DO look for the unique things that can be found in each book. Every book has at least one or two ideas or concepts that can improve your game.
  2. Modern books will often tout (hype) the newest thinking. This is generally built on top of the "old" even if the writers don't admit it. It is an evolution. (Over many years I have found that reading things in the order in which they are written is a wise discipline. You get a much better feel for where things are going and why. I did this with Poker books, beginning with Brunson.)
  3. A couple of new books are compendia of articles (e.g. Excelling at No Limit Hold-Em by Little) that give you recent concepts, each written by the individuals who excel in important areas of the game. This is a wonderful way to get a lot of scope in a hurry.
  4. I have read all of David Sklansky and those team efforts by Sklansky/Miller and Sklansky/Malmuth. These books all made me think. And they often delve into statistical detail. This caused me to think deeply, even in the statistical zones that are not my strength. You can better choose strategies when you have this background. I particularly recommend the first Sklansky The Theory of Poker and the follow-on No Limit Hold em - Theory and Practice (with co-author Ed Miller) for the foundation they give.
  5. I completely agree with the many endorsements of Ed Harrington's three volumes. I strongly recommend all three. My reason for liking them is perhaps different that other players ... At the table you have got to do so much "thinking on the fly". Harrington seems to have gotten this down. Wrking through his hand and table analyses builds this skill better than other books in my opinion.
  6. I have found mistakes (not just typo's but thinking errors) in some books. It's a reason to get a second opinion. These mistakes will show up at the table.
  7. Please remember that no one author will will tell you all their best tricks and maneuvers if they are an active player. That's a reason, just by itself, to read a variety books written by different players.
  8. Finally, I have been a management consultant for decades, and also trained 1000's of people from which I learned this advice: Drill to the Level of Insight. If I wrote a book myself that would be the title. That's what winners do. It keeps them moving ahead in their fields of choice.
Good luck with reading. I agree it is not as much fun as playing! But all your playing will be MORE FUN once you have completed some reading.
UncleJeff
PS- I am including a photo from my main bookshelf

Decent books for playing back in 2005 perhaps

fwiw, it's DAN Harrington who wrote the poker books. I'm not sure who 'Ed' is... perhaps he plays poker too... and maybe even writes some stuff.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Agree, total waste of time, some videos can be helpful at the beginning, but the best is find your own way through playing on micro level, going upper, you can recognize the differences...

Only one exception, what is not much about poker, more about basic math, counting variance, probability, knowing most of the hands chances on all streets, also knowing the chances of your opponents etc. but it is really not much about poker, how you play your hands, and you dont need a book for that, even there are few good specifically about that.

It is very obvious you've never read any... or if you have, they were lousy ones.

Suggesting they're a total waste of time, (especially for an inexperienced player) speaks volumes.

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sklansky and Harrington for the most part. Helped with making bet sizes and calling sizes for particular draws and to punish those trying to suck out.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hello everyone. I just decided to read books about texas hold em no limit tournament strategy. Please advice your best 3.

I'm pretty sure I asked a question very similar to this one back in 2008 when I first joined this forum. At that time the best books suggested were:
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book
Harrington on Hold'em Vol.1: Strategic Play
Harrington on Hold'em Vol.2: The Endgame

For Sit'n Goes:
Collin Moshman's Sit 'n Go Strategy (he's a member on this forum)
Secrets of Sit 'n Gos: Winning Strategies for Single-Table Tournaments by Phil Shaw

These books gave players a solid foundation for tournament play pre 2010 (imo)

Books that came next >>>>
Kill Everyone, Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'Em Poker tournaments and Sit-n-Go's, Lee Nelson, Tyson Streib, & Kim Lee

And a great series: (in it's day)
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Volume 1
by Jon 'Pearljammer' Turner, Jon 'Apestyles' Van Fleet, & Erik Lynch (Rizen)
first published in June 2008
There is also a volume 2 & 3 in this series.

Today's best poker 'Tournament' books (or ones that are more up to date).
'It depends', lol
Some of them are:
Play Optimal Poker by Andrew Brokos
published June 2019
Play Optimal Poker 2 - Range Construction by Andrew Brokos
published May 2020
Modern Poker Theory: Building an unbeatable strategy based on GTO principles
published Aug 2019

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will read a few. Thanks a lot people.

D

Damian12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books never really helped me. I learned by playing.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a short list of books that I think are the most useful and deserve the attention of every player.
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harrington On Holdem - All are good but I use Vol 3 when I find I in a rut

The Theory of Poker - Terrible dry read, but great info

The Middle Zone - Short read but great concepts on the hands we see the most.