Which is better AT or KQ?

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Between these hands I would still pick the best hand preflop. Even though KQ is comparable, I would still pick the hand with the ace.

C

chinito2410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer qk for make stairs than at

psanto

psanto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
ATxKQ

The odds are in favor of AT, of course, but it's necessary to see the situation. In general, I would go with AT, but, if there is a raise and the vilain has especially AJ+ on his range, meaning that I'm dominated, I would rather want KQ. I always think about these kind of hand, when I have AT- and my opponent holds two cards bigger than my second one, I'm in front at the beggining due to the high card, but he has two cards that beat mine.
In a all in preflop situation, I prefer AT.

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They seem to be about the same to me. I would actually prefer KQ

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AT is obviously better because an A is better than a K or Q. ok, anyway poker is not a game of shoving preflop, having a strong starting is not a guarantee. there are more important factors in poker than hole card value.

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't prefer either, AT and KQ are shoving hands when you have 10bb... and whenever your in that situations I usually shove and get isolated by much better which is why I hate both ;D

O

over_big

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- I prefer Mapquest.

- That's a good one too.

- Google maps is the best.

- True dat. Double true.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At 888, Ill play both pretty strong because they do so well.. Id have to go with KQ

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel more confident with AT! but with KQ I see the flop more often!

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, the best hand is КD, because A10 is harder to play on postflop.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop T10...And then 50/50...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AT tend to fare a little better equity wise, but it suffer from more reverse implied odds. If you hit an A74 flop with AT, there are 24 better 1 pair combinations, and if you hit T74, there are 21 better 1 pair combinations. If you hit K74 with KQ, there are only 14 better 1 pair combinations, and if you hit Q74, there are 17 better 1 pair combinations. That is still a fair amount of reverse implied odds, but its less than AT, and therefore KQ tend to play a little better. AT is also a little more likely to end up with 2. pair than KQ, which is again also a bit of a reverse implied odds situation. If we are talking about the suited combos however, than AT moves up in value, because it can make the nut flush and stack someone with a lower flush.

J

jkersten

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
· KQ is less likely to be outkicked if hits top pair, also, more chances to hit a straight draw.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dislike both AT and KQ. I lost many hands with them. I am offended by them. They are both dead to me. I don't talk to them.

94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards Chat has an odds calculator available. AT is 63% over KQ at 37%. End of discussion. :)

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ is better until there is an ace on the flop, and it happens a lot. :p

It happens a lot when we got the KQ. When we the one who got AT, the ace wont come in the flop. Lol

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10o and KQs are almost equal. I like them both for push/fold.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer playing KQ rather than AT because you got some really good blockers out there it is much harder for him to make a straight I think atleast most of the time.

N

nita3471

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think AT is better the chances of getting the betweens is great.

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
% ofcourse on side A10. But my choice is KQ. I play it better postflop. And KQ i win more in allin on PS. If KQ suit - its my favorite hand)))