Which is better AT or KQ?

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AT is better if you look at the value of opportunity, but it all depends on the situation the table ...

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on many elements

if looking purely on preflop likelyhood AT is better but since more people play AK,AQ, AJ you will more often be dominated!

the expected number of wins are higher mathematically but the expect return is actually lower and the draw downs are bigger with AT than KQ. it requires a longer mathenatical analyse to get the result but basically its because you are more likely to dominate if you hit on the flop with KQ than AT.

if hitting an A on the flop with AT means you are likely to take a bigger drawdown since you are likely being dominate by a player wit A + K, Q,J - on the other hand with a KQ you just fold - both is loosing but AT you will take a big drawdown and KQ just your preflop bet

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems A-T (especially offsuit) is an underrated hand.

The ace is, of course, the fairer half. Although the T is not a low card, it's one spot short of being a face card - and for that reason - is looked at funny in certain critical situations.

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AT most of the time, although I would rather have KQ if playing 3+ handed. Number will always be in favour of AT though, and poker is a numbers game.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It always depends from the situation and from the other players. They cannot be used in the same way.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KQ is better but I rather play AT

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like AT and I prefer it. Preflop is much better than KQ. Maybe postflop tight, but I think AT is the winner too. I think AT Better than KQ in all categories.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AT is what I would choose to play more often. Although KQ is close behind it. I like both hands in an unopened pot though.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer AT. With that hand I mostly win.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer pocket cards AT. Because if the opponent will be unsuitable board, with an ace we win.

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me KQ is better playable but in the showdown A10 is slightly ahead.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many hands do not pair up therefore at showdown ace ten is better. Ultimately how you play these cards and when they show up will determine which is best. Both hands can be troublesome too. Must realize that there are many better hands out there and play them with caution.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always have to go with the better hamds so A T wins over KQ yet KQ is a very good low stack hand many a time this hand has doubled me up against hands like A T the only worry you have with K Q is when you flop all high cards someone tens to hit a Straight

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
AT or KQ?

Good evening everyone.
AT or KQ?
These are hands that have to be played with caution, from UTG, UTG + 1, it's an easy fold, from MP1, MP2, MP3, I play if I'm at a very passive table, and from other raise positions.
Playing an Mtt, I prefer KQ and in sit´s gos the AT is much better.

T

timeforachange

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is hard to decipher this, but I would have to say KQ plays better and is overall the better hand. a few examples why if u have kq and hit a queen you got second kicker if u have ace 10 an ace hits you have the 4th kicker. KQ plays better on a king high board then an ace on an ace high board. But with every hand they exact play is situational.

S

smk77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10 vs KQ sure A10 is the favorite, but A10 isn't as profitable imo.

Kicker is important, I play A10 carefully and prefer it to be suited.

ch1r4q

ch1r4q

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AT works better for me, especially if it's suited.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Technically AT is better, cause of the simple fact you have A high preflop.... granted KQ blocks all the top draws.... so KQ is a lot easier to play post flop....

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ace Ten every time you dont have to hit to win

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:DIll tell you after the flop

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at some points, the first option is better because the ace is a senior kicker and sometimes plays well, but for me it’s better KQ sometimes a straight or two matches well, so I'm for KQ

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody with a little bit of experience will tell you that they rather have AT than KQ. It's the best hand odds-wise, but also, how many times have you lost a flip with KQ vs A-rag? It's demoralizing...

AT any time, any day.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
playing with A10, I basically do not mind that the opponent had a hand QK)))

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Neither is optimal for a shove but good enough for a small raise and fold to large 3bet in tournament play. Both plays well post flop in cash games with caution