Best way to start a MTT?

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is a nice begginning to double up you BR but it is normal you feel that entering in a bigger tournments because you double up. My advise to you is that you should continue on that level.. continue learning in freerolls and try to win as much as you can without use your BR... it is important to your development continuing on that level. you should be confident but not overconfident... ;) go on doing well dude.

I haven't put a tournament buy-in yet. Just sticking with freerolls. Played a few cash games just to get raked hands and get into the Carbon $1000 daily FR's.

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i need to registrate in the Carbon to get in in thst freerolls too. Do you know if I am able to get in on them?

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i need to registrate in the Carbon to get in in thst freerolls too. Do you know if I am able to get in on them?

The only freerolls they have are for real money players. The $1000 freerolls are over but they started the $500 Daily Challenge Freerolls. You get a ticket into them by completing a set task they have for each day.

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only freerolls they have are for real money players. The $1000 freerolls are over but they started the $500 Daily Challenge Freerolls. You get a ticket into them by completing a set task they have for each day.

But it is nice? is it worth? Do you need to deposit real money for playing freerolls or all the members can get into them?

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But it is nice? is it worth? Do you need to deposit real money for playing freerolls or all the members can get into them?

You have to have raked hands to play in the freerolls. So yes you do have to have real money on the site to play in them.

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play tight in the early stages of an MTT, which works especially well because usually a lot of the other players are a lot looser. Golden opportunities for stacking! I loosen up in the middle stages, blind steals, opening range IP, etc.

I agree with that, we can double or triple up our stack easilly, and it gives you nice odds to control your table and your opponents being cheap leader of the table

You have to have raked hands to play in the freerolls. So yes you do have to have real money on the site to play in them.

I'm a bit confused. Can you explain more detailed?

Last edited by a moderator:
daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your style of play is completely dependant on the structure of the tournament. It would be a lot helpful if you stated the main structure you have the tendency to play. Either way this is how I would play depending on the structure:

Regular (ie. 7-9 seated, blinds increase 10-15min): Tight... for no reason should you ever find yourself playing loose in the early stages of this tournament. If you are seriously trying to cash and you win x4 your starting stack (by playing loose and hitting a runner/ flush/straight draw) continuing your loose play, the odds show that you will find yourself losing 3-1. Therefore more than likely continuing this play especially as the blinds rise, you will continue losing your stack. You may want to vary your style when in late position but that goes for every tournament. However, passively playing the tournament and thoroughly analyzing each scenario will find you steadily increasing and winning. Whenever you see tournaments with a high frequency of players you will see names fly up and down off the top 10 in the middle stages. This is due to them using the TAG/ Aggressive method, but this only lasts you so long and usually (unless intending to tighten up), these players find themselves just barely making the bubble and taking maybe double the buy-in as oppose to the top 20. Just make sure whenever you win big always tighten up at least 10% to maintain position.

This is just my opinion, hopefully you take something from it. Please state if you want me to analyze another structure such as turbo or 6- seating.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a bit confused. Can you explain more detailed?

Just go to www.carbonpoker.ag for the information you are looking for. They don't have any true freerolls just ones you qualify for by playing with real money on your account.

Your style of play is completely dependant on the structure of the tournament. It would be a lot helpful if you stated the main structure you have the tendency to play. Either way this is how I would play depending on the structure:

Regular (ie. 7-9 seated, blinds increase 10-15min): Tight... for no reason should you ever find yourself playing loose in the early stages of this tournament. If you are seriously trying to cash and you win x4 your starting stack (by playing loose and hitting a runner/ flush/straight draw) continuing your loose play, the odds show that you will find yourself losing 3-1. Therefore more than likely continuing this play especially as the blinds rise, you will continue losing your stack. You may want to vary your style when in late position but that goes for every tournament. However, passively playing the tournament and thoroughly analyzing each scenario will find you steadily increasing and winning. Whenever you see tournaments with a high frequency of players you will see names fly up and down off the top 10 in the middle stages. This is due to them using the TAG/ Aggressive method, but this only lasts you so long and usually (unless intending to tighten up), these players find themselves just barely making the bubble and taking maybe double the buy-in as oppose to the top 20. Just make sure whenever you win big always tighten up at least 10% to maintain position.

This is just my opinion, hopefully you take something from it. Please state if you want me to analyze another structure such as turbo or 6- seating.

I see what you're saying, but at some point do you have to loosen up a little to keep yourself steadily staying in the same position? I'll get a good chip lead and be in the top 15 then go crazy card dead and end up being right around the bubble. It's not that I loosen up and lose all my chips, it's that I just never win much after the initial part. Any advice for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way is to play your hand ....to be aggressive when you have a good hand...is my opinion

B

bozichka05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are beginner play tight!

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when i started out playing freerolls very often missed the first half hour. blinds made little difference to stack and and missed the idiots shoving any 2 cards stage. but the idiots that won with that strategy still had plenty of chips to donate so could double up a couple of times quite quickly.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think the deeper the effective stacks the looser you can play at the low blind levels

N

nnuubie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to see cards. There's no telling what can happen after you see the cards....so even though i'm pretty tight, i do loosen up at the beginning when the blinds are cheap. If i can see a J10s or JJ or A10s for only 20 chips, i'm gonna look.

It's even more important to read the other players styles, but the way i see it, if i can potentially double up by seeing the cards while investing only 1/50th of my stack........ then isn't that a good idea?
I mean, later when the blinds are big, i might have to pay 1/10th of my stack just to see the cards......?

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
i would say exactly opposite you can do . like stay tight for 1st 3 levels when the blinds are too small.. cos you dont want to get broke in this time as many play very loose .. so most of the mtts start wth 3k chips , try to make it to 22k to 25k range stacks.. then cpl of du can put u in 100k chips bracket.. after that anything can happen.. thats how i play the game .. Gl at the tables

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to see cards. There's no telling what can happen after you see the cards....so even though i'm pretty tight, i do loosen up at the beginning when the blinds are cheap. If i can see a J10s or JJ or A10s for only 20 chips, i'm gonna look.

It's even more important to read the other players styles, but the way i see it, if i can potentially double up by seeing the cards while investing only 1/50th of my stack........ then isn't that a good idea?
I mean, later when the blinds are big, i might have to pay 1/10th of my stack just to see the cards......?

But sometimes you pay to see the flop and you can have a good pair but not the top one and it can take you to pay the turn and river and do nothing, so it is better to fold your bad hands. trust me, Fold it is your best friend ;)

R

Ronoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so most of the mtts start wth 3k chips , try to make it to 22k to 25k range stacks.. then cpl of du can put u in 100k chips bracket..
Your strategy is to turn your 3K starting stack into 22-25K and THEN double up a couple times? How'd you grab 8x the starting stack prior to doubling up? :)

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All !

To my experience when playing low Buy-In MTTs ...playing tight is right, but is it also necessary to be creating due the big amount of Bingo players when they are able to do AI with any two cards. Therefore sometimes it is needed to be able to call AI with middle pair. And be doubling up as quick as possible...because if you be waiting for premium cards only ...you might end up loosing most of your chips or when finally you get what you were waiting for you be the short stack and after going AI you get 3-4 callers and one or more of them will hit 2 pairs or set against your AA or KK

P

Pandaaaaa88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tight, you will get a chance to increase the stack in middle stage. Dont be a risky, your main target is increase your bankroll, remember this ;)

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see what you're saying, but at some point do you have to loosen up a little to keep yourself steadily staying in the same position? I'll get a good chip lead and be in the top 15 then go crazy card dead and end up being right around the bubble. It's not that I loosen up and lose all my chips, it's that I just never win much after the initial part. Any advice for that?

Alright the main problem for this is you are playing too tight. If this ever happens, you must loosen up when in late position in any given hand. More than likely you will find folds as you have been playing tight. This maintains your stack. Also try to analyze you're opponents and how they play in each position. Try to figure out their ranges, and catch their bluffs. Timing is always a factor, you must figure out how they time their hands. You can bluff by deducing how the opponent perceives your hand vs your range. Rule of thumb in lower stake tournaments is usually not to bluff if you believe your aggressive opponent has mid to high pockets in their range despite possible draws, as they are usually too hard-headed to fold.

To summarize, yes, you are loosening up, but you are also playing smarter by adding more dimension to your game. Try your best not to look at the average or the top 10, as tedious as that may be. Instead, try to focus on your stack vs. the blinds. Do not look at the stack of the other players unless they are 5xBB > their stack.

Hope this helped a bit, I am always looking to improve my late position game. Good luck!

K

kidnaping

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
closing

closing your range and then open

T

taknyououttt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
starting a mtt

at the beggining of a mtt best thing is sitout first ten minutes and let all the stupid people go allin then after ten minutes 20% of the field is gone and play a tight game closer to payouts i find stalling is best

:toilet:

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the beggining of a mtt best thing is sitout first ten minutes and let all the stupid people go allin then after ten minutes 20% of the field is gone and play a tight game closer to payouts i find stalling is best

I understand where you're coming from here, however I would not at all recommend this. This would only ever work for microstake tournaments; but even in that you are losing profit with a good hand in these situation.

A good alternative would be to start with an extremely tight range (Eg. AA KK QQ AKs), or just to refrain from Shoving vs 2 or more opponents, but never would I think of sitting out the first 10 minutes.

Also 20% of the field are only out in the first 10 minutes when playing turbo, maybe try playing slower tournaments to relieve your frustration with the early shovers of turbo tourneys.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good alternative would be to start with an extremely tight range (Eg. AA KK QQ AKs), or just to refrain from Shoving vs 2 or more opponents, but never would I think of sitting out the first 10 minutes.

^ this

T

taas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight in first levels. However, in freerolls or in low buy in is value be loose because we can catch some "fish" players.