Best way to start a MTT?

K

KcsAcoustic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Tight is right." That's what they say. And based on my own experience this is absolute. In a MTT you'll be facing multiple all-in situations on your way to the money, assuming you make it that far. While it's nice to double up early in a MTT, I think that the vast majority of players overlook the risk and overvalue the benefit of stacking some poor schmuck early on. Even with a hand like AA early on you must be cautious, especially playing from early/mid position. Sure aces are the cat's meow vs. one maybe two opponents, but in a multiway pot, they loose their value as someone is likely to overtake you before the river. It is not uncommon for up to 4 players to have all their chips in the middle before the flop on the very first hand given the right conditions. And until you have had some time to observe your opposition and gauge the table flow, You're better off just staying quiet, patiently waiting for your opportunity.
I've had most success playing only AA, KK, QQ (Late Pos.), and AK suited. Also from the button I'll limp with any PP hoping to hit a set and dump it otherwise. Also limp button with suited connectors in pots with multiple limps before you. It may seem like you'll be blinded away waiting for your premium hand, but you'd be surprised at how consistently they show up if you just sit back and wait for them. You'll get your shot before the blinds get too high.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright the main problem for this is you are playing too tight. If this ever happens, you must loosen up when in late position in any given hand. More than likely you will find folds as you have been playing tight. This maintains your stack. Also try to analyze you're opponents and how they play in each position. Try to figure out their ranges, and catch their bluffs. Timing is always a factor, you must figure out how they time their hands. You can bluff by deducing how the opponent perceives your hand vs your range. Rule of thumb in lower stake tournaments is usually not to bluff if you believe your aggressive opponent has mid to high pockets in their range despite possible draws, as they are usually too hard-headed to fold.

To summarize, yes, you are loosening up, but you are also playing smarter by adding more dimension to your game. Try your best not to look at the average or the top 10, as tedious as that may be. Instead, try to focus on your stack vs. the blinds. Do not look at the stack of the other players unless they are 5xBB > their stack.

Hope this helped a bit, I am always looking to improve my late position game. Good luck!

Yeah, makes sense. I'll try to have a wider range of cards I play in late position as compared to the others. Thank you for better explaining what you first said and I am definitely sure it will help me out!

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, makes sense. I'll try to have a wider range of cards I play in late position as compared to the others. Thank you for better explaining what you first said and I am definitely sure it will help me out!

No Problem! I suppose ipening your range a wee slight bit may help (more so if in Turbo/Hyper-turbo tournaments), but it's more about taking advantant of your position in the table Eg. Raising Cutoff or Button, regardless of your hand. Just opening up and reading your opponents.

Good luck at the tables! :)

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
играть тайтово, только премиум руки...

not always tight play MTT tournament you can get if you have a turbo tournament it will not save you simply go bust on blidah ))) say you can play the top 20 starting hands !

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not always tight play MTT tournament you can get if you have a turbo tournament it will not save you simply go bust on blidah ))) say you can play the top 20 starting hands !

But just in turbo mode.. Otherwise i dont do that

S

Stryder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's better to play loose in the beginning of a tournament. I usually try to see a lot of flops in position and try to stack people who overvalue their top pair hand when I have a monster. I like playing loose at the beginning of tournaments because the stack sizes are relatively large compared to the blinds, so you have more room to splash around.

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you feel is the best way to begin in an MTT? I'm trying to decide if I should be more loose at the beginning and tighten up as the tournament progresses or if I should just be tight the whole time. I feel like at times I am too tight but I do add variance in what hands I do play based on position. Just curious as to everyone thoughts on the situation.

Hi !

Playing tight is mostly right, but i have to say it really depends on the players at your current table. I would recommend to wait a 3-4 rounds just to see how they play and then you should evaluate on that.

If the are loose and aggressive , then keep it tight and play only premium hands.

If you see that they are playing too tight, you should loosen up to steel blinds, few re-raises and bluffs, but always with at least middle strength hands, so you would have some show down value.

In case of any larger raise or re-raise/ AI just fold, no point of going to bust too early unless you holding AA or KK or any nuts

Good luck @Tables !

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion the best way to start a mtt is to play only premium hands,in position,TAG and fold in 3-bets pre-flop.try not to make difficult decisons post-flop.dont bluff much,you can only try some c-bet bluffing when you miss the flop

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well it depends on the structure of the mtts, if it is a turbo or hyper you should be aggressive from the very beginning and wish the flop be with you if it is a slower mtt you can be at tighter pace being more cautious and choosing carefully the hands and the right spot and finally risking less

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to get some cheap flops in late position, otherwise start tight and finish strong.

knileh

knileh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments

"Early in the game, when stacks are deep, you can play tournaments extremely similar to cash games. As antes kick in, and as stacks get shallower, you will have to make a few minor adjustments. First of all, when antes start affecting play there is more of a benefit to winning the pot, so you can raise a wider range of your hands pre-flop.

When stacks are shallow there is also more benefit to making top pair or overpairs, compared to hitting sets and making flushes. Therefore, you should be more inclined to play high-card value hands, rather than pairs and weak suited connectors. Also, as you start to get 10 or fewer big blinds in your stack, you generally want to be playing an all-in or fold strategy. Antes normally mean that there are already 2.5 big blinds in the pot, so you get a very good price on your steal, increasing your stack by 25% or more without contest when everyone folds, as well as giving you a chance to more than double up if you get called."

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like to play alot of small pots in position in the start of MTT's, i'll raise suited connectors, any pair from the CO and BTN and i'll make the same raise size with premiums from any position, i like to build my stack slowly and try and always stay above average chips, so i will bet thinly even if i have a monster, this helps me portray and image of the guy who always has it, so i can bluff alot more.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe in playing tight in the beginning of mtts keeping in mind startstack size and period of blinds.but anyway its always a good idea to wait for the hands with a good chance

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are beginner play tight!

For how long is one a beginner. Is it until you dont fell scared by playing your hands aggressive. Or until u feel nice with a semibluff once in a while.

Or ....

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT is something simple,of course how to start a Tight is good but this is not enough because if you don't come map or even will have TOP pair it to a beginner it can simply not allow to razygrat and all due to the fact that, or the STACK is small or middle position so for a beginner personally my advice every time playing MTT learn for itself the experience of luck to you !

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play good hands at start i am not afraid to go for a flip if i hold good hands.I try not to do any crazy stuff at start.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight at the beginning of MTTs,and in the middle phase try to steal some blinds and antes to survive.

Jollocks

Jollocks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you feel is the best way to begin in an MTT? I'm trying to decide if I should be more loose at the beginning and tighten up as the tournament progresses or if I should just be tight the whole time. I feel like at times I am too tight but I do add variance in what hands I do play based on position. Just curious as to everyones thoughts on the situation.

I prefer to wait for a premium hand and double up at the start. From there you can bully people and loosen up as the tourney goes on.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Contrary to what most people feel I have read above and talked to about stradegy.
I tend to play A little looser and see alot more flops early in an mtt.
While the blinds are still lo enough to call a min raise or three bet with your suited connectors and not hurt you to much.
I always obv adjust to my surounding as well.I judge my table and how others are palying more so than myself .
I think that is the best advice I can give,is to adjust your game accordinly to your surrounding and your fellow players/.