Best way to learn poker

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely books are outdated, for someone just starting out I reccomend youtube and Twitch poker. (Gripsed highly reccomended and he is also a cardschat member) If you are looking to invest a little bit I highly reccomend you check out Learn Pro Poker.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Best way is to look for videos on Youtube
You may find very good plays
rgds

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I search for books but didn’t find any good book that talks about advance concepts like GTO or hand ranges. I start reading The Mathematics of Poker by Bill Chen, but I found a some errors in the calculations, maybe was because I was reading a pirate version I found online. Does any one knows a book talking about this things?

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn good concepts I found was watching the YouTube’s channel Doug Polk Poker, listening his approach to the game helped me a lot.

P

patativact

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me the best way to learn poker is playing a lot and taking a beating, because it is first of all a game of patience :cool:

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know about the past and books
But you should do your research
And practice makes perfect.

Practice and see where you mostly fail and improve

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Step1 be interested
Step2 ask advice if possible
Step3 books/ videos
Step3 play with friends/ online, free
Step5 be comfortable, start small
Step6 play your best have fun

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math and odds will never go out of date, so obviously you need to start there to get a good base of knowledge. After that, soak up as much information you can about different styles and ways to play, then after that nothing beats getting in as much volume of experience as possible.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I think books should be read as a basis, but we have to keep up to date by reading articles, watching videos, testing applications and participating in poker forums.

Greetings from Buenos Aires.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play Play Play

How do you think, what is the best way to learn poker? many poker professionals and famos poker commentators said that nowdays poker books is outdated and best way is watching different guides and poker games. What is your opinion about it?

Read
Play
Read
Play
Study
Play
Watch Videos
Play
Play
Play
Ask Questions on CardsChat
Play
Play
Take break for 1 week
Play
Read
Play
Play
Read
Play

Let us know how this works out...

Good luck !

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read books, articles on the internet but I really like to see commented videos, I think it's the best option.

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you think, what is the best way to learn poker? many poker professionals and famos poker commentators said that nowdays poker books is outdated and best way is watching different guides and poker games. What is your opinion about it?

I believe that the better way to learnk poker is by playing. This is how you can get more experience and try new strategyes

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

check out my youtube channel http://youtube.com/gripsed
it's organized into easy to follow playlists that build from the ground up.

With a solid foundation like this (or from the great books out there) then mixing playing and casually watching broadcast is a good balance.

Once you get a good feel for the game you can get into more technical study using tools and stuff, but I think first it's good to get a big picture understanding of the game and lots of play practicing.

Hope that helps! :driver:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely books are outdated, for someone just starting out I reccomend youtube and Twitch poker. (Gripsed highly reccomended and he is also a cardschat member) If you are looking to invest a little bit I highly reccomend you check out Learn Pro Poker.

Thanks so much Andy! Super appreciate the kind words :)

Here's my best video on studying

and some motivating tips from legend Ali Imsirovic (just don't mind the 'likes' :p)

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks so much Andy! Super appreciate the kind words :)

Here's my best video on studying

and some motivating tips from legend Ali Imsirovic (just don't mind the 'likes' :p)

Thanks a lot for sharing, I am watching those videos right now.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes some poker books are outraged in terms of strategy, bet sizing etc. But they are still a very valuable resource for getting a base knowledge of strategy and odds etc. Plenty of free content around the web but you need to be selective in what you use some of its tripe. However the most valuable lessons will come from playing and studying your own game. Looking back at hand histories and realising that all in call you made actually only had 2 outs and that's why you lost will improve your game no end. The more you study your game the easier you'll find it and as you get more understanding of the game from books, web articles, videos and watching tournies the more detailed you'll become in your own analysis. My top tip is you can read and watch as much strategy as you like but if you don't study your own game to apply your new knowledge too your basically wasting your time. If you want help with getting started with studying your game I'm more than happy to assist.

^This^

With everything in life, you have to do the work. You have to figure yourself out. Ah, it's so nice to see a post here that makes sense. :)

V

vadusha73

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to improve your skills in poker is practicing as much as possible during the watching games and some learning videos. You just need ambitions and patience.

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If finances allow, it is best to hire a good coach.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way is play more. Read books, training, see the video is important but only distance give understanding the game

I totally agree with you, There are some very good books, some very good instructional videos and some very good trainers, but the most important thing is playing at the tables. It turns out that theory and practice are different.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it’s interesting and useful to watch professional players play.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone learns differently so I believe the best answer is a little of everything. I think poker books are good but agree they will only take you so far. The best ways to learn, in my opinion, are to watch videos of good players playing, watching webinars from pros (Jonathan Little has some good ones posted on Youtube) and discussing poker with those better than you. Talk through your hands with others and listen to them even if you think they are wrong. They might give you perspectives that you would have never seen unless they brought it up.

Posting hands on Cardschat and asking for opinions is also a good way to get quality feedback.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone learns differently so I believe the best answer is a little of everything. I think poker books are good but agree they will only take you so far. The best ways to learn, in my opinion, are to watch videos of good players playing, watching webinars from pros (Jonathan Little has some good ones posted on Youtube) and discussing poker with those better than you. Talk through your hands with others and listen to them even if you think they are wrong. They might give you perspectives that you would have never seen unless they brought it up.

Posting hands on Cardschat and asking for opinions is also a good way to get quality feedback.

Good advice, being open is key in gaining knowledge. Socrates never claimed to be wise, he was searching for wise men he could learn from. What happened is that he ran into a lot of men claiming to be wise (Sophists) and would inadvertently make them angry when he "proved" they weren't very wise at all. So...Athens did the sensible thing and sentenced Socrates to death for corrupting the youth and impiety.:eek:

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way to learn how to play poker is to hire a coach. After all, a person who knows how to play poker professionally is able to teach you a game much better and faster than you would have obtained by reading books and watching videos.

JLit

JLit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, I have never read a full poker book. Everything I have learned, I have learned at the tables, watching Youtube, some online reading, & participating in various poker websites/forums & twitch streams.

I think Twitch Streams are great for 2 reasons:

1. If they are a large streamer/player you can pay attention to their play and ignore the "showmanship" to see how they are playing.

2. You can find many smaller players who are still very very good waiting for their big "bink" to take their game to the next level. Here you can participate in a lot of strategy discussion since the chat isn't running at 100 mph..:pcguru:

Finally, reading and using all the free resources on many sites who attempt to sell coaching can be a huge help. You'll find players who are much more active than others (like Gripsed for example on forums & his website). Reinvesting after seeing some results on your own in coaching may be helpful and is a goal of mine this year, and using the free resources on various sites helps you decide who to go with at some point. Generally some of the best material is NOT offered by the biggest names in the poker world in my opinion... they don't grind anymore and aren't growing like the rest of us, they've already made it.

:jd4:

Last edited:
fredastar777

fredastar777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best way to learn poker is play poker... playing make practice... practice is everything