Be passive or aggressive?

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, you have to have a balance according to the stage of the game you are in, for example it is not okay to play aggressive at the beginning of a tournament because if nobody equals there would not be much difference in whether you steal a blind or not, while That in the middle eatapas or in the bubble, if it would be good option to play with more aggressiveness than at the beginning of the tournament.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play more time passively, sometimes showing activity at the table. You can not play the entire tournament aggressively, or always wait for the best card playing very slowly ..

A

atila1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bouth approaches have to be balanced depending on table, about way how opponets playing. If you re too passive blinds will et yours stake. Thight aggressive is best way for me.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like play against aggresive player.. im gonna be call center (passive)

B

blackbill44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in tournaments i think the best tragedy is to be passive in the early stage! and then become aggressive when the blinds is getting huge! to win a tournament you must be lucky too! so dont afraid to flip in middle or late stages of a tour!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't say passive, but I generally play tighter in early stages of a tourney when the blinds are low and tables are full. I tend to shift gears and be more aggressive when the blinds go up, antes are added and the table gets short. You can't just sit back and wait for a hand at that point, you have to make some moves.

N

Narcizzist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the situation. If you're consistently one or the other then good players will figure it out and outplay you with ease.

You have to switch it up. That's why intuition is so important.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the hand, position, or in a nutshell, the spot, but playing aggressivelly is more recommended. Playing passive can be profitable if you have a nut hand and is out of position, so you can check to the villain(s) and let them throw some chips for you, and if you make the right moves, you'll be able to take a lot of money or even their whole stack

psyho26

psyho26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
against weaker players it is better to be more aggressive, because they tend to play only strong hands and the weak ones to send to pass

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm.. i can't see that passive style can be profitable at the long run. It also pretty unreasonable for me, because of many points. We have to be aggressive most time, but smart aggressive.
First of all because of fold equity;
secondly because we don't want that our opponent buys his outs cheap and overrun us on a river;
and third, to isolate the opponent. Cause it's always easier to predict a hand range of one opponent in pot, as two for example and if there are three or more. Then it's more like fighting in the dark and most time you gonna be beat.
So it's kind of strange question to me, to be honest. What is better to be passive or aggressive? I would say, you can be tight or you can be loose, or something inbetween and it's okay if it fits your character and you still able to "switching the gears" and using your tight or loose image at the table to gain extra profits with unordinary moves. But you should be aggressive imho. Because passive play is most time weak play at poker (until you trap some other aggressive player with a monster) and passive players are weak players, like the "call stations" as best example.
That's why i always like to compare inequality between VPIP & PFR stats in my HUD. Already after like half hour playing with somebody, you can see roughly if he is a weak player or not. Even if you playing like 12 tables and simply have no time/concentration to watching how somebody played his hands. No matter if he loose or tight. But if the difference between VPIP & PFR is pretty big, it points on that, this is a weak player. And most time it is true. ;)

Last edited:
monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
use both styles according to the circumstances. You can also use both styles in the same hand to confuse your opponents.

try not to let your opponents put you on any style...mix it up...balance your ranges and ways to play them.

AK is a great hand to do this with...sometimes be passive...sometimes be aggressive...even when you hit the flop with top top...don't always play the same hand same way.

position also plays a big role when choosing which style to go with...especially with sooted connectors, when you possibly want more players in the hand to max your ev when you hit. When you have AA in early position, you certainly don't want to play passively and be up against 4 oppos post flop.

But i agree with most comments here...aggro is generally better than passive the majority of the time.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Option without losing !
pokern2008006-i19778.JPG

L

Lilbrown92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think that every player should be able to adopt both styles. As previously mentioned, the type and stage of the game as well as the opponents should dictate your approach. It is also important not to let opponent read your game but instead manage to make them misread you.
In the long run being mostly aggressive is more profitable than being mostly passive. The best players though, are those that not only are able to change their style, but are able to read the opponent and change their style accordingly.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressiveness and passivity are things of moments, so what needs to be understood here is what the moment is.

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you must be 50-50 of each to be in final

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has to be a mix of both that is dependant on the players in the pot with a little mix of effective stacks and position thrown in as well.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case thats depend of the table and the cards I prefer be passive or tight and agressive when I need.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen several videos of pro poker players and their style of play varies between passive and aggressive so I ask you which ones prefer which ???

Passive or active my game usually depends on my mood!

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen several videos of pro poker players and their style of play varies between passive and aggressive so I ask you which ones prefer which ???

pros will tell you if you can enter the pot you can raise especially if your newish etc..

A

allefe123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Liabilities

Liabilities without doubts

OI7TuMuCT

OI7TuMuCT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation - and when to wait and when you need to choke the opponent, otherwise strangle you.

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am call station only against bluffers but usualy i play tigh-agressive I think that is the best strategy and also sometimes mix both of styles when u are on positions

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Last time I play very aggressive and it gives a result. First of all this strategy helps me don`t loose my chips during the tournament. But sometimes I can go to the limit and push all my stack. I need more analysis of my opponents to be more successful!

E

EvE2K

I just can tell once again, that this all depends on different situation. I usually play turbo tournaments, so i need to be agressive, because if you don,t, someone else will take your chips, or blinds will kill your stack at a one time. Ofcourse there is some situations when you need to fold, but in my opinion that is only one way to the victory - raise a lot, be aggressive, take their chips!

S

scorpionjoe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Low blinds paassive, high blinds agressive