Ask Evan Jarvis Anything About Learning Poker!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PS The only way it's not a call is if I put you on a made flush only, then I only have 15% Could you be betting the turn here with a K high flush draw or some hand worse than a flush? If not, then I shouldn't have called. I promise I will stop posting to your thread for a while now, lol!

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan when you are in the bubble of the ft how do you usually play your hands? more aggressive, more passive?
:)

I

I LOVE BENE

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EVAN

Hi Evan,
Hope you are staying safe and healthy.
Can you tell me what you think about holdem indicator as a HUD? I've been using it for years. How does it compare to holdem manager or other HUD's? Should I make a change? I have been playing at BOL for the past couple of years.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,

Fun for you!!!!!! ha ha

Thanks so much for your awesome and very detailed reply (as always). I knew I messed up this hand! I hated the way I played it and was really mad with myself ! LOL

I think that thinking about outs and pot odds can lead me to overfold in some situations. Instead I should be thinking about your range which in the CO is quite wide, and my equity versus your range. Is that a better way to think about it?

Thinking about outs and pot odds can lead me astray as that kind of thinking assumes you have a hand and I need to make mine to win, but I may not have to make my hand to win the hand. As you say, you may be on a worse flush draw, so A high might even be good at showdown, or with an aggressive play on the flop or flop and turn I might be able to get you to fold a J and presumably any pair under JJ.

2 Quick follow up Q's -

1/ As the hand was played what size would you need to bet on the turn to say I should fold? What if you bet 1.5 pot or 2 times pot or move all in on the turn? I guess I can look to flopzilla to help me out here and see my equity vs your range on that board and then compare that to the pot odds I'm getting, is that right?

2/ You say "I think I would be calling here again in your shoes and calling on good rivers."
Let's say I call the turn and I don't hit my flush or straight or A on the river, then it's a fold? To what size bet? Should I call a 1/3 bet with A high or just fold? How do I work this out? Is this just a matter of how often do I think you are bluffing with a worse hand and compare that to the pot odds I'm bring offered?

Sorry if I ask too many questions!

Thanks so much!!!!!

Cheers,

Amanda

You got it right Amanada, thinking in terms of pot odds only is assuming we NEED to make our hand to win the pot. And its important to give your opponents some bluffs and semi bluffs in their range too rather than just made hands.

What you are talking about in Flopzilla is a great way to figure that out, you can also punch the range into equilab and get the % equity of your hand. Whichever program is easier for you to use.

And yes, generally I'd just be folding the river unimproved.

If you want to bluff catch, yep that's the formula...

Odds Offered vs Frequency of winning

If i bet half pot you are getting 3:1 on a call, need to show a winner 25% of the
So, pick a range for me to bet and see if AT LEAST 25% of the hands are bluffs

and if they are you can call, and if they aren't then it's a fold

Or you know... you can throw the math out the window and use that female intuition of yours to decide if my timing is indicative of a made hand or if i'm just on a steal ;) :joyman:

I never did much of the river combo crunching stuff... but i'll probably be a much better player when I do!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,
Hope you are staying safe and healthy.
Can you tell me what you think about holdem indicator as a HUD? I've been using it for years. How does it compare to holdem manager or other HUD's? Should I make a change? I have been playing at BOL for the past couple of years.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Hey Gary,

Hold'em Indicator is a fine HUD but it is quite basic.
The stats that it shows are very limited compared to pokertracker and holdem manager

Here's a video to show you some examples of what's possible

If you are going to use PT or HM at BOL I believe you need to buy the card catcher from http://acepokersolutions.com to be able to import the hands.

If you're only playing a couple of tables though, indicator will probably give yo the info you need. sometimes upgrading to something more advanced can be overwhelming... so ask yourself whether or not you think you'll make use of the extra stats.

Hope that helps!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan when you are in the bubble of the ft how do you usually play your hands? more aggressive, more passive?
:)

Hey Mate!

This is dependent on so many factors... stack size... opponent stack size... average stack size... min payout... max payout... etc.

Here's a clip from a webinar I did that I hope you'll find helpful

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d64hCRbncvc&t=4020s[/ame]

Main thing is, if yo have chips you'd love to make use of the bubble and build up your chip stack without needing to showdown hands much, but this isn't always possible and depends if anyone else on the table is trying to make mones on the bubble

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,

So much fun last night playing poker with you and everyone and listening to your awesome stream! Thanks for playing the $3.30 cardschat tourney with us!

Really sorry I am monopolizing this great thread, but you are so generous with your answers I can't help it :) Don't worry, I'm not going to post every hand from the cardschat tourney I won last night and ask your advice. LOL!

I will post my favorite hand from the tourney ha ha. As you said, lucky girl, bad beat for you. CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

I'm trying to answer the Q you asked - did I get the right price?

So here's my homework -
You open from the button and I put you on a range of about 50% I defend from the big blind, I think that's fine with A6o, it's doing pretty well against your range. Flopzilla says I have 50% equity.

I flop the nut flush draw, pretty nice and flopzilla says my equity goes up to 60% on the flop, but that's against your entire range. You bet 1/3 pot and I need around 20% to continue. I guess here it gets a little tricky cause I have to think about what part of your range are you c-betting with here? It could be 100%. You're in position and with a bit of pressure I could easily fold the bb on a monotone flop if I didn't catch a piece, fair assumption?

Then turn is 9 diamonds and my equity drops to 41% according to Flopzilla. The pot is 1426 and you bet 606 and I need 23% (says HM3) to continue, so yes I have a call. But if I start messing with your range on the turn and say well you would only make that bet with a flush or 2nd nut flush draw (because you would probably want to protect other hands, sets 2 pair top pair etc) and bet the flop, then my equity is only 31%, but it's still a call. Does all this sound right to you? I'm not sure if I'm making mistakes.

I'm pretty new to using Flopzilla but I want to start using it more.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

You've got it figured out and you're doing a great job.

Congrats on the win, I'm super happy you took down our fav sunday game!

Price wise you were good, even if i'm only betting flushes and sets you only needed to make like 400 chips additional on the river to reach the odds, and you got more than that.

Because it's hard to get exact ranges here is the best way to go about it

#1 Make a super tight example, where I only bet the bets hands... check your odds

#2 Make a super loose example, where I bet tons of bluffs... check your odds

If it falls somewhere in between, it's probably fine right?

That's what apestyles and assasinato taught me. Learn from the extremes, and if in the most extreme case you've got a winning play, then anything in between that is surely still profitable.

Hope that makes sense :D

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Evan,

I read in an other thread, where you posted generally about session winnings, how one session can balance, compensate for months.

I'd like to ask 2 questions:
1., How do you deal with the 'months', when you do not get that 1 really good tourney, session result for long weeks? (I play tourneys with average 400-500 hundred players mostly on micro limit, sometimes low, so it is obviously less time for me, but I still always run out from patiance earlier or later before the next one coming...)

2., Not connected to the above. In FT, high pay jump bubble, what situations you can/ I should fold mid, low pairs, if my stack is between 10-15BB and I sit in mid positions in 8,9 max tourneys, no action front of me? (I face way too often, at least I think too often, that I go allin with these pairs and get calls with Ax, often with any Kx, or J10 and similar hands, and I am out. If someone has a higher pair in their hand, it is okay, part of the game, I can live with that. However, these calls one of the most annoying things, not the calls, the relegation against them, even I forced to go allin, at least steal the blinds, because of the blinds going up... Oh and often the opponents do not have much higher stack, like 2-3-4+ times higher than mine, that they'd have the odds for calling. Much harder to accept it as part of the game, probably there are situations when I should fold, but it is hard to select.)

Thanks for the answer!
Further good luck!

I

I LOVE BENE

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Hi Evan, Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it. I'm sure you are very busy. I have been watching you for a few years and I really like you. You are good at teaching and easy to understand. Take care of yourself and good luck. Let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you (-;
Gary

Hey Gary,

Hold'em Indicator is a fine HUD but it is quite basic.
The stats that it shows are very limited compared to pokertracker and holdem manager

Here's a video to show you some examples of what's possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__XMsZQ4HBU

If you are going to use PT or HM at BOL I believe you need to buy the card catcher from http://acepokersolutions.com to be able to import the hands.

If you're only playing a couple of tables though, indicator will probably give yo the info you need. sometimes upgrading to something more advanced can be overwhelming... so ask yourself whether or not you think you'll make use of the extra stats.

Hope that helps!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great advice Evan! I love the idea of putting my opponent on different ranges at the extremes to get a better feel of where I am with my odds. Thank you so much!!!!!

B

Briandemott

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas holdem river

Got into a huge argument which should not have been a big deal. I had a pair of jacks and my opponent hit a straight. He went all in on the river I said “how much” for whatever reason I didn’t speak loud enough I guess but he and another player heard me say “I’m in” now I didn’t put any chips in to call his all in and he flipped his cards. Am I wrong for not wanting to give him the owed chips? I didn’t call his all in but they thought I did. Who is wrong here

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your opinion on pre flop JJ or pre flop J high card ? Do you like calling raises with it and also where do you feel comfortable playing it?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's your opinion on pre flop JJ or pre flop J high card ? Do you like calling raises with it and also where do you feel comfortable playing it?

Hey Mate,

The hands we play preflop are very situational.

Jacks is a hand I'm always happy to open, and usually happy to 3-bet another players open with.

When faced with a 3-bet I'm usually playing the hand but depending on who is 3-betting and how deep stacks are it will affect it.

Here's the best video I've made on preflop play, I hope you'll find some value in it and learn to think about hands in categories and situations rather than just as a single hand

Cheers!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got into a huge argument which should not have been a big deal. I had a pair of jacks and my opponent hit a straight. He went all in on the river I said “how much” for whatever reason I didn’t speak loud enough I guess but he and another player heard me say “I’m in” now I didn’t put any chips in to call his all in and he flipped his cards. Am I wrong for not wanting to give him the owed chips? I didn’t call his all in but they thought I did. Who is wrong here

If you didn't say 'call' or 'all in' then you don't owe anything.

Verbal is what's binding at the poker table, and you just asked for a count.

That's his fault for exposing his hand early and not listening closely enough, so no... you don't owe him and you get to make your decision still.

This happened in a big game with Brynn Kenney and Andrew Robl where Brynn thought he heard andrew say call and exposed his hand early... it's on the player to pay attention and listen closely (or get confirmation from the leader first) before getting acting prematurely.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,

I read in an other thread, where you posted generally about session winnings, how one session can balance, compensate for months.

I'd like to ask 2 questions:
1., How do you deal with the 'months', when you do not get that 1 really good tourney, session result for long weeks? (I play tourneys with average 400-500 hundred players mostly on micro limit, sometimes low, so it is obviously less time for me, but I still always run out from patiance earlier or later before the next one coming...)

2., Not connected to the above. In FT, high pay jump bubble, what situations you can/ I should fold mid, low pairs, if my stack is between 10-15BB and I sit in mid positions in 8,9 max tourneys, no action front of me? (I face way too often, at least I think too often, that I go allin with these pairs and get calls with Ax, often with any Kx, or J10 and similar hands, and I am out. If someone has a higher pair in their hand, it is okay, part of the game, I can live with that. However, these calls one of the most annoying things, not the calls, the relegation against them, even I forced to go allin, at least steal the blinds, because of the blinds going up... Oh and often the opponents do not have much higher stack, like 2-3-4+ times higher than mine, that they'd have the odds for calling. Much harder to accept it as part of the game, probably there are situations when I should fold, but it is hard to select.)

Thanks for the answer!
Further good luck!

Hi Adi,

Let me begin by saying that I never played poker tournaments full time as my exclusive source of income. The pain and uncertainty of waiting between scores would simply be too much for someone of my personality to handle (and I'm quite patient!)

When I was playing poker full time it was 90-95% cash games and the rest of the time tournaments. That was I was able to make a consistent income, and still have the fun of playing tournaments with that chance for the occasional big score.

When I took the time to focus on MTTs I was running a business on the side and had good money coming in from investments as well. That way I could survive between the scores (which always seemed to come when I needed them) and took some pressure off.

So for question 1 it's a matter of... if you really 'NEED' the scores, then you may be better off doing some work on the side to ensure you are financially stable and then you can withstand the waiting period between the wins more easily. It also makes it easier to just focus on playing well, and making that your main thing... by doing that and focusing there the scores will come in due time but you won't experience the same frustration of waiting for 'when'

For number 2 it sounds like what you're looking for is a more complete strategy of when to play what types of hands. Given how deep this topic goes I'd recommend one of the training programs to nail this part down (they have great tools and resources

For Ranges specifically I really like Range Trainer Pro (see review video below)

And for deeper MTT strategy at a reasonable price I'm a big fan of Learn Pro Poker

Finally for a free option check out my 30-day MTT Training Program which includes 6.5 hours of material! --> http://gripsed.com/pgms/mtt

Hope that helps mate!
Good luck on the tables!!!

G

goforthenick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Gripsed !

I have a hand history (21 hands after move to a new table) that I would like someone to look at for a 'Rank My Play' type of feedback. I have highlighted all the relevant (my and the guy who knocked me out) moves. Are you thinking of putting in something like this for channel points or maybe for a two month subscription ? Perhaps less hands though or sub length based on number of hands..... Think it would be interesting.

Peter

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Gripsed !

I have a hand history (21 hands after move to a new table) that I would like someone to look at for a 'Rank My Play' type of feedback. I have highlighted all the relevant (my and the guy who knocked me out) moves. Are you thinking of putting in something like this for channel points or maybe for a two month subscription ? Perhaps less hands though or sub length based on number of hands..... Think it would be interesting.

Peter

Great suggestion mate!

I was considering doing a weekly study session for tier 3 subscribers to the channel where they can submit hands like this.

You're right that if it's for all subs we'd get too many hands as we're at around 500 subs, but it could be a cool perk for those who are supporting the channel at the highest level

If you have a favorite hand from the set feel free to post it in this thread

And good luck in the upcoming freerolls, it's gonna be an epic end of April!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,
Thanks for the game last night and thanks for playing the cardschat game with us!

To be honest I don't love PKO's and generally stay away from them, but last night was fun. Of course there's nothing like a deep run to change your mind about something, LOL!

So I was reviewing hands from last night and nothing I could do HU on the last hand with pocket 10's, just not meant to be. But I did find a hand where I might have been able to save some chips 3 way.
CardsChat Poker Hands Converter
I think my call on the flop was ok but should I have folded the turn? At least I didn't shove pre flop, that would have been a disaster!

I know you are passing off the Sunday hg, to someone else, that's ok. I like when you show cards on delay, really get into the poker and talk strategy, makes for a great stream! I'd also love to see you playing the micros/low buyins once a week or month or something like that, so we can play with you. That's so much fun!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what tip do you give to those who are starting at poker?

Learn the fundamentals of the game first, the bigger picture of poker and how money is actually won in the long run.

I made a lengthy playlist on youtube to guide you thru this process
http://gripsed.com/win

It will teach you all the key concepts, as well as what factors to consider so that you can make great decisions on the fly. It's also free of fluff, because I value my student's time and like to get to the meat of the presentations as quickly as possible.

Hope you find it helpful & if you ever need more content check out my website http://gripsed.com where yo can get 30 days of access for free!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,
Thanks for the game last night and thanks for playing the cardschat game with us!

To be honest I don't love PKO's and generally stay away from them, but last night was fun. Of course there's nothing like a deep run to change your mind about something, LOL!

So I was reviewing hands from last night and nothing I could do HU on the last hand with pocket 10's, just not meant to be. But I did find a hand where I might have been able to save some chips 3 way.
CardsChat Poker Hands Converter
I think my call on the flop was ok but should I have folded the turn? At least I didn't shove pre flop, that would have been a disaster!

I know you are passing off the Sunday hg, to someone else, that's ok. I like when you show cards on delay, really get into the poker and talk strategy, makes for a great stream! I'd also love to see you playing the micros/low buyins once a week or month or something like that, so we can play with you. That's so much fun!

Thanks Amanda,

You're the best, it's been such a treat having you with us on the stream.
And it's so impressive to see how strong your game has gotten!

Personally I would have bet the flop here so you can fold out some hands that missed. Jack high doesn't have a ton of showdown value and could benefit from betting. It also lets yo set the price rather than giving your opponent the opportunity to.

That being said, against his hand you gave yourself a great chance to see the turn without getting raised out.

If you think you'll get paid off on the river when you hit the turn call is fine, but as we have discussed before, they'll often check back on a club and if you lead out your hand is kind of face up.

As played I would probably just check/fold the turn as you suggested.

Great game and great result, you really have become a homegame hero!!!

See you this weekend for the grand finale :angel:

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Evan! Thanks for all your support, and being on my rail at the FT last Sunday :) Love your stream & playing tourneys with you! Gotta win more so I can play the games you do. Cheers!

Kinganders

Kinganders

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Cardschatters!

I have been teaching playing poker for over 15 years and teaching it for 10 on my youtube channel. I absolutely love teaching poker and helping players improve their game.

I know first hand how frustrating it can be to have a question which you can't get the answer to and how much it can drive a mind nuts. So I'm here to offer my experience and services to help put your busy mind at rest and help you build confidence in your self and your poker game.

Over the past 5 years I have made 100 Q+A videos in https://www.youtube.com/user/gripsed/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=18

If you've got a question that hasn't already been made into a video please post it here and I will give you a written response, and if you're lucky I might even make a video on it too!

Looking forward to being of service and helping you reach your goals in poker, be it to be the best player in the room, or simply to have more fun with your friends.

Let's Get Stackin!

Do you recommend HUDswhen pkaying online poker? I am torn as I like the "live" When not using tools when analyzing myself, but maybe it would improve my game?