Ask Evan Jarvis Anything About Learning Poker!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was looking at flights MTT events.
And am a litle confused..
it says largest stack plays next flight?
i was wondering if you could explain it to me as if i was retarded xD

Just because you make day 2 doesn't mean you can't play another flight.

With flight tournaments, you can enter as many flights as you want, but only the largest chip stack that you bag will be played on day 2.

The exception to this are 'Accumulator Events' where the stacks are combined into a mega stack (but this format isn't used in many places).

As for the strategy of firing another bullet even when you've already made day 2. If you are in the money already, then it doesn't really make much sense to increase your investment and decrease your ROI.

But if it's an event where you are still far from the money on day 2, then often players who have made it thru with a microstack will fire another bullet with the hopes of bagging a bigger stack to take into day 2.

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see most of the streamers at twitch likes to use the blinds count over the actual chips count. What is the reason for that?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see most of the streamers at twitch likes to use the blinds count over the actual chips count. What is the reason for that?

I believe there are a couple of reasons why most streamers (and players these days) use the Big Blind display rather than the total chip display

1) Most tournament strategy is based on the about of big blinds we have, so it's one less mental calculation we need to do

2) Math is easier to do when using smaller numbers, the amount of big blinds will always be smaller than the number of chips we have

So in both cases, it just makes life easier, less mental math to do, less energy used, and more energy to be had for making quality decisions in the spots that matter

Personally I like to have the total number of chips displayed just cause it looks cooler to have 10 million chips than to have 30 big blinds or whatever. But that being said, I'll often toggle it back and forth when it comes time to make my plays

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Evan - I just watched the "Why Poker Starting Range Charts are Garbage | How to Move Beyond Them" by Team Gripsed Pro Alex Fitzgerald aka Assassinato in your "The 5 Preflop Plays You Need to Succeed (at Poker)" series. It really opened my eyes, and my mind! Can't wait to watch more from your YouTube page. Thanks for making this available and thank-you Cardschat for bringing Evan's magical videos to my attention!

Oh, and thank-you Tammy for suggesting that we newbies read the stickies. That's what I was doing when I came across this fantastic resource!

C

Carlo35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going allin

How muck risk are you willing to take in a mtt?? Do you call an allin from utg seated on hjack with example 55 when you have his stack covered like 2and half times? Do you call more allins with marginal made hands to reach the finaltable?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,
Congrats on your nice score the other day!
I've been learning about MDF (minimum defense frequency) and it's opened my eyes to thinking about how much of my range I should be folding post flop facing various bet sizes. I'm just trying to reconcile this with my old way of thinking about whether I was going to continue with a hand where I thought about my hand's equity against my opponents range. So what happens when the two approaches conflict a bit? Maybe I feel my hand doesn't have enough equity to continue, but MDF says I should only fold 30% and there are more than 30% worse hands in my range I need to fold before the one I have? Any light you can shed on these concepts, would be awesome! Cheers, Amanda

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are some interesting ideas you picked up from your streaming of the wsop final tables?

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is mathematical analysis that suggests that one should seek to increase variance in tournaments in order to increase our odds of high finishes (we have fewer 'middle of the field' finishes and more early and late finishes), are there spots where you seek increased variance?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan - I just watched the "Why Poker Starting Range Charts are Garbage | How to Move Beyond Them" by Team Gripsed Pro Alex Fitzgerald aka Assassinato in your "The 5 Preflop Plays You Need to Succeed (at Poker)" series. It really opened my eyes, and my mind! Can't wait to watch more from your YouTube page. Thanks for making this available and thank-you Cardschat for bringing Evan's magical videos to my attention!

Oh, and thank-you Tammy for suggesting that we newbies read the stickies. That's what I was doing when I came across this fantastic resource!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback Jordan!

Really Happy to hear you're enjoying the content and hope that it will help you build confidence on the tables and ultimately yield results greater than your wildest dreams!

Good luck & Happy stackin!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you make your free money Friday game 6max?

We like it to have a bit more action, which also encourages more rebuys and leads to a larger prize pool

For players wanting a full ring game that's why we offer the $5.50 Gripsed Final Table Experience $420 GTD on sundays

Other great CC events which are 9 handed are the $3.30 Sunday Special with $100 added on ACR and the nightly freerolls

There aren't enough small stakes/freeroll shorthanded events and so we felt like it would be a nice idea to have one on the schedule! :eek:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is mathematical analysis that suggests that one should seek to increase variance in tournaments in order to increase our odds of high finishes (we have fewer 'middle of the field' finishes and more early and late finishes), are there spots where you seek increased variance?

Certainly there are times when it makes sense to take a chance to get a great chip stack

Dan Harrington first referred to this as 'inflection points' in his fantastic trilogy 'Harrington on Hold'em'

The question you really need to ask yourself before making the decision is
-What is my chance of winning the MTT if I win this all in
-What are my chances of winning the MTT if I don't win this all in
-What are my chances of winning the MTT if I just fold and maintain my stack

Keep an eye on the lobby, get a good feel for where you are (and could be) relative to the field, and you'll know when it's time to take those chances to go for it!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are some interesting ideas you picked up from your streaming of the WSOP final tables?

Oh my, too many to list.

Every video was jam packed of great insights.

Definitely worth watching and taking notes, such an incredible learning experience!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan,
Congrats on your nice score the other day!
I've been learning about MDF (minimum defense frequency) and it's opened my eyes to thinking about how much of my range I should be folding post flop facing various bet sizes. I'm just trying to reconcile this with my old way of thinking about whether I was going to continue with a hand where I thought about my hand's equity against my opponents range. So what happens when the two approaches conflict a bit? Maybe I feel my hand doesn't have enough equity to continue, but MDF says I should only fold 30% and there are more than 30% worse hands in my range I need to fold before the one I have? Any light you can shed on these concepts, would be awesome! Cheers, Amanda

MDF will usually lead to you continuing with more hands than you need to

It's a concept that applies on the river to make sure you're defending enough of your range.

But when looking at flop and turn decisions also consider, pot odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds, position, and how able you are to get to a showdown

If those are ignored to just try and defend a % of your range based on the bet size of your opponents you'll typically be continuing with too many hands in the small pots leading to getting into more trouble in the big pots

If you want to bump up your defending though consider throwing in some check raise bluffs with weaker hands that have some equity, like gutshots or bottom pairs in spots where you think your opponent is cbetting their entire range and has a lot of air

Some good for thought, hope it helps!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How muck risk are you willing to take in a mtt?? Do you call an allin from utg seated on hjack with example 55 when you have his stack covered like 2and half times? Do you call more allins with marginal made hands to reach the finaltable?

It's hard to say without seeing the exact situation, I'd have to know how many big blinds the player was moving in for

To give an educated opinion on what to do I'd want all the info, players left, chip stacks, position in the field, payout structure... there's a lot to it :)

In short, however much risk it takes to win ;)

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many times would you let a site scam you before you quit it? I would like to see you play a nameless site, let's call it Bet on Lies, and figure out why they have it rigged to rip u off when you play pairs to showdown. If you find that QQ does better than 50 percent vs. J2, please report back to us. I don't want to waste your time, but Cheat on Line is phuqqed up, imo, so please play the $3.50 and $7.00 sngs and let us know what you discover. GL

D

daurensdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what to do with nines if you are 3-bet, at the beginning of the tournament, 100bb

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would ask him if he plays poker online, and if he plays how he reacts when poker is unfair and he plays with some player bots and he has AA or any good pair in his hand and they pay you that raise with 9 2 in hand and they can win with 2 pairs or 3 pieces

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would ask him if he plays poker online, and if he plays how he reacts when poker is unfair and he plays with some player bots and he has AA or any good pair in his hand and they pay you that raise with 9 2 in hand and they can win with 2 pairs or 3 pieces

Sometimes laugh, sometimes cry

Depends how big the limits I'm playing are

The more I stay within the proper bankroll management the easier it is to accept these beats with a little bit of a laugh.

If it's really upsetting and anger inducing to lose a pot like this, you may be playing too big for your bankroll.

Money and emotions are very closely tied together... who knew!?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what to do with nines if you are 3-bet, at the beginning of the tournament, 100bb

Usually just call and take a flop

Call a bet if the board only contains one overcard

Typically fold to 2+ streets of betting

On an all low board maybe call 2 streets, but rarely calling off the full stack unless a draw is possible

Ask yourself what hands your opponent could play this way, and ask if you beat any of those hands, and then what % of his hands you think you're beating and what % beat you.

Then you can decide if it's worth it to play on or if you're better off just folding and saving the chips for a 'better spot'

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many times would you let a site scam you before you quit it? I would like to see you play a nameless site, let's call it Bet on Lies, and figure out why they have it rigged to rip u off when you play pairs to showdown. If you find that QQ does better than 50 percent vs. J2, please report back to us. I don't want to waste your time, but Cheat on Line is phuqqed up, imo, so please play the $3.50 and $7.00 sngs and let us know what you discover. GL

Scam me once... shame on you

Scam me twice... shame on me

Scam me three times... I've already stopped playing since scam 1 or scam 2.

Don't waste your time with shady sides, find legit ones and move your play there asap!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
36th Birthday Celebration Today!

Hey Friends,

Sorry to derail this thread for a post but I'm really excited to share this.
Today is my 36th birthday and I'm celebrating with my best homegame ever @4pm ET

Gripsed Homegame Details

We got a custom blind structure, bonus bounties, and even prop bets to be won!
for full info check out this tweet https://twitter.com/GripsedPoker/status/1441432351506980907?s=20

And to win a free entry come on by the stream! http://twitch.tv/gripsed
See you there, Let's Get Stackin!!! :icon_sant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Friends,

Sorry to derail this thread for a post but I'm really excited to share this.
Today is my 36th birthday and I'm celebrating with my best homegame ever @4pm ET

View attachment 295181

We got a custom blind structure, bonus bounties, and even prop bets to be won!
for full info check out this tweet https://twitter.com/GripsedPoker/status/1441432351506980907?s=20

And to win a free entry come on by the stream! http://twitch.tv/gripsed
See you there, Let's Get Stackin!!! :icon_sant

Happy Birthday!

Very special promo, bonus ideas!

Good luck!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Aww, Thanks Jordan! So happy to hear you found those videos helpful!

The youtube channel took a little pause because I was working on my new book which will be coming out in December. I'm super excited to have all my main teachings organized into one place - https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Small-Stakes-Cash-Games/dp/1912862263

If you ever want to come hang or watch some live action feel free to drop by the stream http://twitch.tv/gripsed (We're live with a $250 Freebuy every Friday and the Best Homegame on the Internet every sunday with a $5.50 Buyin & I give away lots of free entries on stream).

I always recommend the classic playlist http://gripsed.com/win & then going to the project get me stackin series' after that https://www.youtube.com/c/gripsed/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=7

Hope that helps!