The Art of Bluffing (Day 11 Course Discussion)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without bluffing poker would be a rather boring game and would not have such popularity in the world. In order to skillfully bluff, you need to have an understanding of what opponent you are doing and against, in other words, you need to have information on the opponent, there are no absolutely correct situations for bluffing, everything will be based mainly on your information about the strength of the opponent’s hand in the vast majority of cases and much less cases from the structure of the board.

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We believe we have the best hand, go ahead!, the expected cards were not given, if we believe that despite not having the best hand, we can bet as a bluff, go ahead!... but, if we were discovered, villain knows that he has the best hand, it is time to fold.
In Venezuela we have a saying, "pick up your dead rooster!"

Well, I don't know if you understand what I want to express. Lol...

Last edited:
bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion bluffing is one of the most important weapons of poker for those who have mastered this art that is bluffing will certainly have a lot of advantage against their opponent knowing the right time to bluff and win the round

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This part of the course talks a lot about seeing the best time to bluff, I think we should take a lot into account that depending on the level of the tournament we start to bluff more than usual, sometimes we do not take into account the player's position and without realizing it we are already so deep in a hand that we have no way out ... there is a lot of bluff in lanes with little buy in, since in high lanes there is the best way to corner other players is by having a good staff and studying the players i they are aggressive or light, but very good this course ... and totally bluffing is an art

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the five best bluffing spots. Checked in a cash game.
Appreciated The C-Bet on the Flop. After a bet of about 2/3 of the pot, if someone slow-plays or has a hit, they call, in other situations, immediately fold. A huge plus you immediately understand where you are in front or behind.
The scary card showed itself well on the river. Semi-bluff worked well on the turn.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is what you like about poker when it passes! I try to bluff rarely, only when my rally looks strong, I bluff!

Popescu97

Popescu97

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The day 11 of this course it s about the art bluffing.I found some interest informations and good spots for bluffing,but I rarely bluff ,with this discussion I can approve some good elements.For me a good player of poker must know this art of bluffing,because it s a strong element in poker,and sometimes you can do it and risk everything you have for the biggest pot .Thanks Collin and Katie for this course ! :)

O

osvimanCC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something I've learn recently is that the good poker players utilize the size of the betting for bluffing.

Contrary as all we could think at first, the best players bluff with small bet sizing and when they overbet or shove, they usually are not bluffing.

:9h4: :9s4:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something I've learn recently is that the good poker players utilize the size of the betting for bluffing.

Contrary as all we could think at first, the best players bluff with small bet sizing and when they overbet or shove, they usually are not bluffing.

:9h4: :9s4:

The top players will often try to remain unpredictable, but I agree that in many low-stakes games, you can achieve the best results by value betting big and bluffing smaller as a general rule.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Another easy to digest chapter in the course. I look forward to hearing more about how you apply these concepts. I am hoping to here more about sizings and good boards to bluff

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is not a fairly common act of poker for me. But when you bluff, you need to think carefully about whose right step it will be, because you can lose a lot more

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good explanation that the time to bluff depend of the context and the players against.

I usualy make semibluff on the flop when i have good outs in the flop, trying to catch my hand on the others streets, but making a low bets trying to control the pot. And another situation when the opponent show me like weak.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good explanation that the time to bluff depend of the context and the players against.

I usualy make semibluff on the flop when i have good outs in the flop, trying to catch my hand on the others streets, but making a low bets trying to control the pot. And another situation when the opponent show me like weak.
Sounds like a great general bluffing strategy to me! :)

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is an art! When you bluff, you yourself need to believe that you seem to have it :)

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good title. Bluff is indeed an art, but its also some psychology involved. It can be learned with time. I see many guys bluffing without any skill, but the knowing you got better cards then them is even a greater skill than just trying an amateur bluffing :D

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is an art! When you bluff, you yourself need to believe that you seem to have it :)

Definitely, always pick convincing spots where you could play many strong hands the same way as your bluff.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I like your articles a lot, I am a player who bluffs a lot sometimes, I make myself a self-criticism for doing it many times, sometimes it goes well sometimes it goes wrong, in any case it is part of poker, it is dangerous to do it with many players in the hand, but if you are only playing the hand with a player or two you can risk doing it, thanks for the article

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for this article, I really liked it, and I will put into practice everything I have learned here, sometimes when you have bad hands for a long time, it is a good time to take advantage of your image, and make a bluff, to win some chips, but I regularly bluff against good players, against other types of players, I prefer the easy, check fold.:D

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The best way to learn is in practice. Poker is basically a game of situations and players and, as such, there are no hard and fast rules about when to bluff.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you're asking yourself, on the river, "Will a worst hand call? or Will a better hand fold?" .... where are we actually getting the "worst hand" & "better hand" from?

Are we using our opponents range and hand reads from their betting lines on previous streets?

Side note: Loving this course by the way!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you're asking yourself, on the river, "Will a worst hand call? or Will a better hand fold?" .... where are we actually getting the "worst hand" & "better hand" from?

Are we using our opponents range and hand reads from their betting lines on previous streets?

Side note: Loving this course by the way!
Yes, you're exactly right that we use our opponent's range and hand reading in ordered to ask those important questions on the river that help us decide if we should bet and/or bluff. Well done, and glad to hear you're enjoying the course! :)

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find the most under rated bluff spot seems to be on scare cards, particularly when there's money on the line as a pay jump or bubble. For instance, if the next person to go out makes $40 more and you have them covered a turned that completes straight or flush draws would be an especially good bet (imo).

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of pulling off a successful bluff. Well, I suppose there may be one or two in reality but in poker it’s the tops. Knowing when to bluff and knowing who you can bluff against is a key part of your armoury. Getting a read on your opponents makes the play that much more effective. Thanks guys.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find the most under rated bluff spot seems to be on scare cards, particularly when there's money on the line as a pay jump or bubble. For instance, if the next person to go out makes $40 more and you have them covered a turned that completes straight or flush draws would be an especially good bet (imo).

Definitely, and we do talk about this type of tournament risk aversion play later in the course!