Anyone interested in Hand Analysis???

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, the analysis of your hands is very important. Without this, I will not see my mistakes and therefore will not correct them and will play just as badly without improvements. I look at the analysis of not only my bad game but also the analysis of good games where I am strong, in order to mark the successful moments in the game and remember them for the future

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
:rofl:
I wonder if any pro players esp ones that do twitch streams are ever up to any shenanigans at all. Haven't seen much franckly. They just playing solid optimal poker.
But i would certainly get into such streams :D
Also - more cool hands pls :eek: Thank you.
Also have a look at this one
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/kk-a-paired-board-484358/

I think you played this hand too passively. You did the right thing 3 betting with KK from your position. You had a lot of people left to act behind you plus an EP limper (who could be sitting with AA waiting to limp-jam). SO the 3-bet was great. I would have went a little bigger. Generally, when you 3 bet, you want to bet 3x the last raise and then add all of the additional money in the pot. So here, the bet was 4 so you simply raised to 12, when I would have added the additional limp, the BB and the SB and any antes. This would have been 14.5-15.5 BBs. The Button calls and UTG+1 calls.

Let's think about their calling ranges for a second. Vs the HJ in a raised and 3-bet pot, the Button has a pretty narrow range. He can call with AA, AQ, K9-KQs, JTs, 88-TT. He should be 4 betting AK and JJ-KK. This is IF he is playing a balanced strategy. Considering this is a freeroll, your opponents are going to fall into either much tighter or much looser players here. Some other information would help in the overall analysis, like, any HUD stats on the player, any reads you had developed on the player, where the player is from (country), any big hands that you saw this player involved in? But, regardless of that, almost all players (especially in a freeroll) are going to 4-bet with AA or QQ and most will do it of the time with AK and AQ, they are going to push all in. There are some that will just call looking to see a flop with AK or AQ and with even more marginal hands like QJs or QTs and some will increase their PP range to JJ but no one calls here with AA or QQ. Unless you have a specific read on that opponent, then I think you gave him too narrow of a range.

UTG+1 will almost always have a small pair that he limped with to see a flop. Once the pot was raised, 3-bet and called, he was getting the right price to make the call and see a flop.

The flop comes Qd 3d 3s. This board is great for your range. Think about the hands that you are 3 betting with. Most likely it is JJ+, AQ+ and KQs. So, you have all the AA, KK, QQ, AQ and KK in your range. Plus the board is very dry, there is a flush draw, but the odds are really bad that villain has exactly 2 diamonds in his hand, especially when you have a blocker to the flush. Normally, I don't mind the check here if you think that the button will try and bluff at this pot. Again, he has 99-JJ in his range and your check most likely made him think that you had AK or an underpair to the board like JJ or TT. He bets full pot which polarizes his range, meaning that he either is very strong or has nothing. What are very strong hands that are in his range? AA, AQ and KQs. There are 6 combinations of AA, 12 combos of AQ and 2 combos of KQs. I would also give him credit for hands like QJs and QTs which there are 3 combos each of those. Which means there are almost 4 times as many Qx combos available than AA. Add to that, most players overvalue flopped top pair. Additionally, there are A LOT of players who will bet anytime they are checked to because they think that a check is weak. I truly believe you were either against some Qx hand or a player that bluffed you off of your hand. I would have bet the flop, probably somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 pot hoping that someone hit that queen. It is pretty rare that I am going to 3 bet a pot and then check the flop, but I will do it sometimes when I am OOP and it is multiway instead of heads up. So, I don't actually the check, but IF I am going to check the flop, I am looking to check raise this hand because there are some bad turn cards for me. Another Q or an A are particularly bad. I am not super concerned about a diamond, but I would. not be loving it since the button could have AQ of diamonds. Also, if I simply make this call, I have almost half my stack in this pot. I would rather ship it in here while I feel like I have the best hand. You choose to check-call.

The turn is the 2h. Again you check and this time villain sizes down but bets enough to put you all in. This card is a complete brick and you HAVE to make this call for all of your chips. The pot is almost 200 BBs and you only have to call 66. This gives you around 3.5:1 meaning you only have to be right less than 25% of the time to be profitable. I think making this call is going to FAR surpass 25% because I believe that villain has either a Q or nothing.

Don't feel bad about this hand though, learn from it and play the situation differently next time. If you have read some of the hands I have posted, I make mistakes too. We all do.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, no it wasnt me. Other guy created that thread and yes i agree with you.
I actually posts reply in that thread. But it was not as good lol.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I often analyze my hands in my head, think about how I could have played better, but I understand that this is not enough, you need to work with programs, but there is simply not enough time for this.

DIMARIK

DIMARIK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The point of this analysis is to remind yourself of mistakes that cost you money. Sooner or later, you will get tired of losing and you will make the necessary adjustments to the game. It can take quite a long time to finally come to a conclusion about the fold in this situation, when you put a double barrel, and you raise the nit.

Most people go on making those bad calls, stupid bluffs, and skipping vellubets for years, and they don't learn anything. This is one of the main reasons why they never achieve the results they want.

This is why regular session review and key hand analysis is so important. This allows you to soberly evaluate all the bad decisions you have made and leads to self-control and change of the situation. :deal:

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I don't actually the check, but IF I am going to check the flop, I am looking to check raise this hand because there are some bad turn cards for me.

Yes thats what i also was thinking.

there are A LOT of players who will bet anytime they are checked to because they think that a check is weak.

Yes this is true, but mostly weak players right?

Don't feel bad about this hand though, learn from it and play the situation differently next time. If you have read some of the hands I have posted, I make mistakes too. We all do.

Well i certainly make a lot of dumb stuff too. Sometimes i learn how to use this CC hand replayer and post some of my hands here too. There are some cool ones some dumb ones, some that had me confused.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes thats what i also was thinking.

Yes this is true, but mostly weak players right?

Not always weak, just aggressive.

Well i certainly make a lot of dumb stuff too. Sometimes i learn how to use this CC hand replayer and post some of my hands here too. There are some cool ones some dumb ones, some that had me confused.

We all have hands like that.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, i learned how to use hand replayer :D
Have a look at this one i played today in an MTT
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4q11rFWT
What you think about just calling preflop? Was it beter to 3 bet?
Also i decided to donk bet the flop well i usually dont do it but he just min raised preflop and i thought it would be fine.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey, i learned how to use hand replayer :D
Have a look at this one i played today in an MTT
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4q11rFWT
What you think about just calling preflop? Was it beter to 3 bet?
Also i decided to donk bet the flop well i usually dont do it but he just min raised preflop and i thought it would be fine.

I think you made some mistakes in this hand as well. Again, there are no reads on the other player. Was he loose, tight, aggressive? Was he playing a lot of hands from all positions? Did you have any other hands against him?

This is actually a very interesting spot because the solver likes to mix 3-betting about 80% of the time with calling about 20% with 99. What makes this interesting is that TT 3-bets and calls about a 50/50 mix and 88 3-bets about 20% of the time and calls 80%. All of the pairs lower than 88 call 100% but they are set mining. I am going to put in some charts below that you can reference that show what the GTO strategy is for this spot. Keep in mind that not all players will be playing a GTO strategy. This looks like a freeroll so I doubt very many players are playing a GTO strategy. But, he did min raise UTG, so he may have some familiarity. All of that being said. His (or her) range may be a lot tighter or a lot looser than what I have shown.

What you think about just calling preflop? Was it beter to 3 bet? I agree with the solver that either is fine in this spot. Really, this is a spot that is player dependent. I always advise anyone who I talk to about taking notes and using labels to identify what other players are doing. Things like, what are the opening with and in what positions? Do they have more than 1 open-raise size (this is a VERY good tell)? How often are they c-betting and are they using different sizing depending on their hand strength? This list can go on and on, but the more things that you observe and take notes on against a player, the better you will be able to play against them. So, back to the spot. I do 3-bet here often because I have a 60/40 equity advantage over their entire range (GTO speaking) of the UTG player. So, unless I had a good read on this player, I would be 3-betting here with this hand pretty often because there is already one other player in the pot and flatting here gives the BB a great price to come along. The BB now has to call 1 BB into a pot that already has about 7.5 BBs in it. That is just too good of a price. So, by calling, you are going to have 3 other players in a pot and 99 does not play very well multiway unless you flop a set (and then depending on the texture, that might lead to some reckless adventures). IN fact, against the range of the CO and BB, you now only have 17% equity in the pot and UTG has almost 62%. That shows the power of 3-betting and getting it heads up! But, even though 3-betting is preferred in this situation, I do use it as a calling hand too. So, absent any specific reads, I think calling was probably just fine here. It would have been pretty nasty to 3-bet and get 4 bet. There really aren't the implied odds to call but if you 3-bet to about 10 BBs (2.7 x 2 BBs + 2 BBs from the original raiser + BB + antes) then you have put about 25% of your stack in the pot. That almost pot commits you.

I think donk betting the flop was a horrible idea because the pot is multiway. If you look at the BB's range, he can be calling with anything, including a 3. The CO has a lot of 7's, medium pairs and suited connectors in his range not to mention A3s. UTG has big pairs and big broadway draws so he did not connect with this board as well as your range would. But there are a couple of thoughts on this. First of all, your range is somewhat capped because you just called out of the SB. If you have TT+ or AK and AJo+ and a few other AXs, you would be 3 betting. So your actual range is capped really at 99 (that calls a portion of the time. TT and JJ will also call a portion of the time, but they are also 3-betting), a lot of medium and small PPs (including 77 and 33 but there are not a lot of combos of those) and a ton suited cards, especially A7s and K7s that could make top pair. You are actually close to the top of your range with 99 but the equities are pretty close. If you were just against the UTG player, you would have a 70/30% advantage over him (or her). Again, another reason to get the pot heads up. When you want to donk lead is when a flop is excellent for your range and really bad for your opponents. In this case, the flop was great for your range, but just as good for the BB and the CO.

Aside from a GTO perspective, the other side of this is that a donk lead 1. further caps your range and 2. tells other players that you have a medium strength hand that needs protection. It does this by telling the other players: Hey, I either have top pair that I want to protect, which would be A7s or K7s , or I have 88 or 99. If you had 77, 33 or A3 in your hand, you would have a monster that you would most likely be checking (although IF you had one of these and donk led and then checked the turn, I would LOVE it). Here, if you check-call or check-raise the UTG player, it looks REALLY strong (especially the check-raise) and you can still have 77, 33 and A3 in your range (although I would check-call 77 and 33 and sometimes check-raise A3 and then check raise A7, K7, 65s and 54s for balance..again, depending on the player I am against).

I also don't like the sizing of your lead. You went about 55% pot on a very dry board when a bet of about 5 or 6k would have led to the same result and the pot would not have been so bloated. If you bet 6k into the pot and get called then the pot is now only 28k, which gives you more options on the turn.

You bet a little over half pot and UTG calls. UTG can be calling with a lot of hands here. There are a lot of premium hands in his range but there are still plenty of overcards in his range, especially suited overcards. You actually pick up some equity on this turn and against this range are about a 72/27 favorite. Plus, the 7 still does not connect well with UTG's range. He does have 77 and A7s but there is now only 1 combo of 77 and 2 combos of A7s. This was a great card for you to continue on. Checking here makes you look really weak and that is why UTG bet back at you. Since this card does put the possibility of a flush draw out there, I would have wanted to bet it close to 60-70% pot but since that is my whole stack, I would have moved all in. The other option is to play it like you did and check, but again, going for the check-raise. You still have 77 and 33 in your range so you have 2 possibilities for quads plus, you have a lot more 7's in your range that UTG's, so a check-raise here looks like you either have quads or a full house. If you check-call here, you are really saying that you have an overpair that you will likely fold on any scary river.

I think overall, you need to up your aggression in your games. You seem to play pretty passive and want to wait for the nuts before wanting to make a big call. On that turn spot, you were looking at 3:1 odds so you only have to be right about 25% of the time. You had a 72% equity advantage on that card so you were actually a 3:1 favorite against UTG's range. Sometimes I will make that call intending to call down on most rivers. If an A, K, Q or club comes off, those are not great cards for me (hence, why I want to get it in on the turn when I think I am still ahead), but IF I call the turn, then I am going to hero call a lot of safe looking rivers.

Hopefully I can get to see you play sometime and we can look at a lot of hands in a row so that I can better understand your game.

N

NikiT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people perform an analysis of the hands, but in my opinion this game is unpredictable and therefore influences 50% of luck and the other 50% of player strategies, surely the analysis in professionals is necessary, but in these tables where there are many inexperienced and daring players it is very difficult to analyze the hands

Oh, Yes, i thought the same, before i started to learn poker strategy. It is no problem if you have a plan and if you try to "read" opponent. No problem how they play. Improve your game. It is possible.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank for the analyis, appreciate that. It was actually $3000 gtd, 3$ buy in.
Yes i felt like i played this hand badly. My game is not consistent. Sometimes i play more agressive, sometimes less. I had not much info on that guy, just sat on that table.
Think i should have 3bet preflop, esp cause minraise looks really weak, as well as 2 calls.
Yeah donk lead was bad i agree. Well prety much everything i have done in this hand was dumb. And i actually felt it while doing it lol. Maybe was too sleepy i dunno.
I kind of thought hes not calling here without good pocket pair. It looked like im commited to the pot so be shoving it in on later streets. But he called. Maybe he did have some QQ i dont know.
Ill take notes from analysis thank you.

I think you made some mistakes in this hand as well. Again, there are no reads on the other player. Was he loose, tight, aggressive? Was he playing a lot of hands from all positions? Did you have any other hands against him?

Last edited:
abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And another interesting hand i had yesterday as well. It was some $2000 gtd mtt.
Take a look at this one.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6q11rLpz
Ofcourse there is not much in the hand not much of analysis, a guy just called for memes.
Limped in with 27 then called for his tournament life just to have some gags.
This is nuts.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A hand i might have played okay

Another mtt, this time $50 gtd. Decided to practice a bit on lower buy in..
Not much info on the villain.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5q11ysXa
If he would have shoved on me on the flop i would just fold ofc. I just felt weakness and applied some pressure.
The turn bet after i raised him on the flop, even though was not a small bet still felt like a weakness so i slightly overbet to put him al in. Maybe he had pocket pair some nines of some sort, so the K scared him and i cought his vibes. Its like he was trying so hard to defend his pocket 9, but it was too late, i felt some blood. Or so i think.
Now if he would check the turn i would probably not shove it al in. Maybe bet half and then turn to a check/fold state being afraid of a slowplay trap from him.
What do you say on this one?

Last edited:
perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And another interesting hand i had yesterday as well. It was some $2000 gtd mtt.
Take a look at this one.
Ofcourse there is not much in the hand not much of analysis, a guy just called for memes.
This is nuts.

It is nuts. But it happens a lot in poker. A lot of tournaments are lost to a player making a very foolish play.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a section on tournament strategy for hand analysis

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Take a look at this one.
This is nuts.

Sick hand. That was my day all day on one of my favorite sites yesterday. In the CC $3.30 game I got it all in with AK v A8o and lost, next game I get all in with AA v AK and lose. IT was just a really run bad day for me. It sucks when donks are rewarded for being donks, seems to happen all the time. Dominated aces seem to be exceptionally lucky in these spots. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Another mtt, this time $50 gtd. Decided to practice a bit on lower buy in..
Not much info on the villain.
If he would have shoved on me on the flop i would just fold ofc. I just felt weakness and applied some pressure.
The turn bet after i raised him on the flop, even though was not a small bet still felt like a weakness so i slightly overbet to put him al in. Maybe he had pocket pair some nines of some sort, so the K scared him and i cought his vibes. Its like he was trying so hard to defend his pocket 9, but it was too late, i felt some blood. Or so i think.
Now if he would check the turn i would probably not shove it al in. Maybe bet half and then turn to a check/fold state being afraid of a slowplay trap from him.
What do you say on this one?

I think you played this one very well. When it folds to the SB, he is going to be raising with a lot of hands (I limp a lot of my range here, both strong and weak hands). It looks to me like he has ace high or some broadway hands, maybe a medium PP (like you thought) and I agree that his flop bet looks weak. He is probably calling thinking that you may be range raising and the King should be very good for his range as the preflop aggressor. When the 2 pairs the board on the turn, he decides to try to bluff at the pot again, your jam scares him because really he can only call here with a K or better.

You played this one really well.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You played this one really well.
Thanks.
I be posting more cool hands here hopefully and getting beter with my analysis.
You know i kind of feel the stuff, when and how to make good moves, but i sometimes don't realize it.
Probably thats why my play is really not consistent.
Sometimes i am more tired and my senses are not as good you know, and these days you just gota know what to do.
So analysing your hands and getting beter is really crucial thing to success.

E

eliasyarosh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Еще один mtt, на этот раз gtd за 50 долларов. Решил немного попрактиковаться на более низком бай-ине ..
Не так много информации о злодее.
Если бы он поставил против меня на флопе, я бы просто сбросил c. Я просто почувствовал слабость и немного надавил.
Ставка на терне после того, как я рейзил его на флопе, хотя это и не была маленькая ставка, все же ощущалась как слабость, поэтому я слегка овербетил, чтобы поставить его полностью. Возможно, у него была карманная пара каких-то девяток, поэтому K напугал его и я уловил его флюиды. Как будто он так старался защитить свой карман 9, но было уже поздно, я почувствовал немного крови. По крайней мере, я так думаю.
Теперь, если бы он сделал чек на тёрне, я бы, вероятно, не стал его пихать полностью. Может быть, поставил половину, а затем перешел в состояние чек / фолд, опасаясь ловушки слоуплея.
Что скажешь по этому поводу?
Great strategy. I would also play

M

MrRed484

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Double KJ bust Ak!... Help me out here..

Some advice needed? Did I play the hand the right way..

Cash game 1/1/2

UTG (loose player who is a pro) 2bet £8
UTG+1 calls
Action folds to me on the button and I have AKs.. I call the bet as I didn't want to bloat the pot and wanted to see a flop in position knowing the pro was in the hand. I had £150 behind and was the shorter stack at the table.
The SB 3 bets to £50... I saw this as a squeeze..
Utg pro folds ..
Utg +1 calls the £50
I go all in for £150.. To squeeze the squeeze
The SB calls and the utg+1 calls ..
They both turn over KJo and I have the AKs
I'm a 4/1 Favourite and the flop come
Q J 4 rainbow ..the board runs out 8 2
I loss obviously but was it the right play?

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The analysis of your hands is very important so as not to make future mistakes, but we must also recognize that there are well-played hands and that players without anything manage to obtain the victory in an incompressible way.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some advice needed? Did I play the hand the right way..

Cash game 1/1/2

UTG (loose player who is a pro) 2bet £8
UTG+1 calls
Action folds to me on the button and I have AKs.. I call the bet as I didn't want to bloat the pot and wanted to see a flop in position knowing the pro was in the hand. I had £150 behind and was the shorter stack at the table.
The SB 3 bets to £50... I saw this as a squeeze..
Utg pro folds ..
Utg +1 calls the £50
I go all in for £150.. To squeeze the squeeze
The SB calls and the utg+1 calls ..
They both turn over KJo and I have the AKs
I'm a 4/1 Favourite and the flop come
Q J 4 rainbow ..the board runs out 8 2
I loss obviously but was it the right play?

This was a BRILLIANT play!!! You read your opponents perfectly. AKs is a hand that loves to see flops so I have no problem with your call preflop. I go between calling and 3-betting a lot in this situation. I will normally 3-bet more to get the pot to heads up when there are a few players in the pot but being on the button and having position throughout is a great time to call and potentially trap both of the EP players.

The 3bet from the SB can be a bit alarming because he should have a pretty tight 3-betting range in a multiway pot. This actually is not a good squeeze situation because you really only want to squeeze when there is a raise and a call. The more callers that you have behind the raise, the less likely that your squeeze is going to work. I do like that SB 3-bet to 50 though. That is a great sizing when you are OOP.

Once UTG+1 calls though, I think I would have just called behind for some of the reasons that you mentioned for not 3-betting originally. SB has to have a pretty good range here and UTG+1 is likely sitting on a small or medium PP (he would have 3-bet with TT+ and maybe a little wider) or maybe he has some suited broadways that he is being sticky with (terrible mistake). SB should have a 3-betting range of Ax suited and AQo+ and KK+ but mixing in a few smaller pairs as well for balance. So, knowing that I am probably against one or two PPs and maybe Ax, I think I may have called to see a flop and then continued if I connected well with the flop. This is the advantage of having position. So, IF you made a mistake (which I don't actually think you did) then I would prefer a call instead of the 4 bet shove.

Actually, if you look at the GTO charts for cash games at this stack depth. UTG+1 should have folded and you should be 3 betting everytime. SB should be folding this hand. But, this is a great spot to deviate from those charts. Especially if you think that the SB is going to be 3-betting often with a wide range. Which obviously he was. I know that the charts are important, but poker is really about analyzing what your opponents do wrong and taking advantage of that. You did that perfectly here. It sucks that you had them drawing to 2 outs (which they would split) and they managed to hit it. That is just going to happen. I had a similar hand on Monday: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7q131x84

SB was a pretty loose player but was getting it in against other players with KT+ and Ax hands in the blinds. I watched him getting in these battles with hands like KJ, KQ, A9, ect. He opened and I knew I would be well ahead of his opening range so I 3 bet. When he went all in, I knew he had one of those hands and that I should have him easily dominated, so I made the call. Sure, enough, he was drawing to 3 outs but managed to hit. It sucks to lose, but you cannot fold when you have that much of an advantage. If I win that pot, then I would have had about 135 BBs and we were only like 20-ish eliminations to the money. So, I was setting myself up to run very deep.

The same thing applies to your situation. You had a 4:1 advantage over your opponents. You had them drawing to 2 outs. I would take that every hand if I could get it because you are just printing money at that point.

The only thing I would caution you against is the 4 bet jam there. Against opponents like this, it really doesn't matter as much, but when you are playing really good opponents, you are going to run into monsters once it goes, bet, call, call, 3-bet, call. With that 3-bet call, they should have much more condensed ranges. But, there are still a lot of people who cannot tighten up their range according to the situation. They have what we call "static" ranges. This means that they will play the same cards no matter what happens in the pot. In this situation, if you 3-bet the initial raise, they are still at least calling pre-flop and the SB may be 4 betting you. Take good notes on what your opponents are doing and how they are playing and you will continue to make great reads like you did in this spot.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
New Hand! Terrible Villain call

I haven't had a chance to post in a while. Check this hand out and see what you think. I'm pretty sure villain should be folding here: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7q1aNDdf

So action opens with Hero in the BB with 74o. It folds around to the button who tries to play tricky and limp 99. SB folds and Hero checks behind. This was a terrible limp by the button. You should never be limping medium pocket pairs as they don't flop well postflop and when the flop comes with overcards (which will happen often), you are not very happy.

Flop comes 395 with two clubs. Hero checks and Villain bets pot. Hero has a gutshot but also this board connects much better with his range than Villains, who is going to have a lot of highcard-lowcard hands and a lot of suited junk. So, there were a lot of turns that I could call here and check-raise the turn and get villain off of his hand. Looking at the pot odds, you are 2:1 on your money, so you need to win the pot about 33% of the time. While I was not getting direct odds with my gutshot, I felt like if I followed my plan, I could get villain off of most of their hands on the turn. Villain's range looked to be a lot of pairs (especially big pairs that villain would try and tricky limp with hoping to get raised and then re-raising), flush draws and other straight draws plus a lot of bluffs.

But then the turn came jackpot for me and I hit an offsuit 6 for a straight. I checked and Villain again bet pot (9.9 BBs). At this point, I put villain on a much better hand. Since a lot of people will limp big pairs, I really narrowed their range to this or some flush draws and possibly 2 pair. While I only had the 2nd nuts, I felt like this was a great spot to follow through with my plan and jam. I knew that this particular player would never fold a big pocket pair here (even though it should be folded.) My range to call a pot sized flop bet would be a lot of 4x and 7x combos especially suited ones and particularly 78. So, I made a 4x+ jam. Villain calls with a set of 9's, but I think this is a terrible call. The turned 6 completes all of the straight combo hands that I was representing and this check-raise jam should look much stronger than a check-call and river jam. It really SCREAMS...hey, I have a straight and I don't want you drawing to the flush.

Mathematically, villain has 10 potential outs if behind: three 3's, three 5's, three 6's and one 9. Giving villain about a 22% chance of winning. But,villain had to call 42.8 to win a pot that would be 115.2 after the call. That means villain would need to win about 37% of the time to break even on this call. I don't know about you, but I am not a break even player. So, I would want 38-39% equity. Here, villain was getting 22% to improve. Definitely not enough equity to call in this spot unless you know the other player well enough to put them on a worse hand that would jam here or a bluff and you are at the very top of your range.

So, did villain think that this was a bluff? First, if you think about my table image (and this player has seen a lot of hands with me). They would know I would not have a lot of bluffs in this spot. Plus, this board hits my BB range so strong. Also, what hands are good bluff candidates in this spot? It is a 9 high board and villain has pot-bet twice into. A9 or K9would be good hands to bluff in this spot. But, would I bluff a value hand like that in this spot, and so large? No. First of all, A9 and K9 would be hands that I would likely raise from the BB against a button limp the majority of the time (depending on the rival's table image), second, when you flop top pair with top kicker in the BB, that is a great place to donk lead because there are so many nasty cards that can come on the turn. Why not take a stab at taking it down right now? Finally, villain holds 99 so there is only one 9 left out there. Very unlikely (not impossible, especially online) that I have that card. So, what is left? Maybe a two pair combo. But the same logic applies: Why would I check-call the flop and then check-jam the turn even with 56 when lots of straight can be in villain's range? This is another value hand that has a more positive EV by checking down (or donk leading the turn).

The only positive factor for this play is that villain was at the very top of their range. But here, villain SNAP CALLED. This is an important lesson. Even when you are at the top of your range, unless you have the stone nuts, you still have to consider your opponent's table image, their potential range and that there are hands that beat you and likely do if they are check-raise jamming you. It's tough, especially in this spot. But, just last night, I opened AKs from UTG in league and UTG+1 3 bet jammed me. This was on the 8th hand of the session. In most cases, I would happily call it off in this spot. But, league is for points and I felt like I had a solid skill advantage over this player, so, even though I was getting the right price to call (most likely would have been flipping). I decided to wait and chose a higher EV spot. I didn't end up putting that player out, but I did end up in second (after a terrible run during the final table). This is another spot I could get away from. No one likes to fold sets. But, if you want to play winning poker, you have to be disciplined enough to make correct decisions that maximize your EV and ROI. There are some players, I absolutely DO make this call against in the same circumstances. But this time, it was a terrible call.

So, once again (it has been a nasty run these last several days) I end up losing when I am a 4:1 favorite. SIGH. But, that's poker. Please leave your comments and feedback and I hope to post more hands soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unlucky spot, all I can offer is I would of folded flop.

Too early in the tournament to be applying pressure like you had in mind, also no one in there right mind is ever folding top set there.

If I am villain and you show up with 74o there I would be looking at why I didn't raise preflop.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands