AK Overrated?

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was this.... Fulltilt Poker 'POker After Donk Freeroll'?? Two hands on a terrible limpy table of donks. This is 'sure proof'... I fold AK from now on! (and of course AA as well.. goes without question).

No it was a $6 shoot out tournament on party poker.I am not sayiny that AA is not good I like everyone else likes getting them just saying they get sucked out on allot and loose allot more than should.

CostyBigRoyal09

CostyBigRoyal09

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK-highly appreciated .... when I catch the 2 books in hand with discussions go ALL IN!:D:D:)

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK can be a dangerous hand, but if ya don't hit, just get away from it if the betting is big and you don't hit or have a flush/straight draw.

You could be almost drawing dead on the flop if a lower PP has hit trips.

Don't get me wrong, it is a big hand but you have to have the discipline to be able to get away from it too.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not sure what you mean with this. AK is one of the strongest opening hands in poker. If you are talking about going all in with AK then it is second favorite to pocket 2's so it is down to luck as most all ins are to a large extent. However against and other 2 different card combination AK is favorite every time you play it. It may not be favorite after the flop, turn or river and that is why you need to learn to read the cards and fold if the other guy has ended up with a better hand. If AK goes all in with any combination other than pairs it will win more hands than the others over a period of time.

P

pokermatch

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, but you can not be more wrong. Ace King is a monster hand
in both tournaments and cash games! Ace King is one of the biggest
money making hands out there! I mean imagine, most of the hands
Ace King will be up against will be other Ace Kickers statistically, and if
it goes against a pocket pair, its practically a coint flip, plus if you take
into account the money that was folded by the other players and is now
in the pot, the pot odds are you in your favor to go allin! Most ppl will go
allin with you preflop if they have a monster, and this doesnt usually
happen in a serious game, but when your not going allin preflop you have
a hugee edge! Even if you dont catch a pair, you have 2 high cards that
you could easily catch! Think about these things next tim epls.

Naked Welder

Naked Welder

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think AK sucks. I would rather have 99 and hope to hit a 9 or even another pair. AK is overplayed and completely worthless when the community is nothing but numbers creating straights for others. If I don't get something on the flop with AK I am making a paper airplane...

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
YOu can say what you want.AA does loose allot more than it should.AA is stilll just a pair.It is AA and everyone loves getting them but still only a pair.To better your hand you have to hit one off 2 Aces that are left or catch a lucky straight or flush.

Stop limping AA imo.

C

chefjimmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing AK is like any other hand

alor factors in,position,raises in front of you,ect...but i,ll say this i,d much rather be holding a pair of 7s heads up

Elliegurl

Elliegurl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a great hand... and I raise with it every time. Especially on a short stack, it's all-in.

But as we all know, poker is gambling and in gambling, there's no guarantees.

J

jedimoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good hand, but definitely overated. Its nothing if you dont hit the flop. Peeps are way 2 agressive with this hand in tourneys. I get being aggressive with it in a cash game,especially limit. But in a tourney i like to have better then ace high before getting too many chips in, unless real short stacked.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had plenty of beats with AA, as well as AK, but I still will play it no differently, and will play it strong. And come on guys, J10 is all of a sudden stacked up on pokerstars? haha jeeze.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Originally Posted by underdog140
YOu can say what you want.AA does loose allot more than it should.AA is stilll just a pair.It is AA and everyone loves getting them but still only a pair.To better your hand you have to hit one off 2 Aces that are left or catch a lucky straight or flush.
I play Ak, AA the same, and do what i have learned, and i am willing to fold them. And bet the right amount, don't over bet.
Here is a hand that shows why you should not slow play Aces..
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-game-hand-analysis-50/4-nl-he-full-ring-j8-148162/
I just got lucky on that hand.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play Ak, AA the same, and do what i have learned, and i am willing to fold them. And bet the right amount, don't over bet.
Here is a hand that shows why you should not slow play Aces..
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-game-hand-analysis-50/4-nl-he-full-ring-j8-148162/
I just got lucky on that hand.

There's a term for just about every play there is in poker. All-ins, insta-shove, c-bet, 4-bet, insta-call and the like. How I bet any hand is strictly situational and positional. There is no right or wrong in my mind - only what seems to fit the situation in THAT hand.

S

Shylax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main reason people think AK or AA,KK etc. are overrated hands are because they OVERPLAY them. Bottomline. These people can't fold them postflop even when presented with overwhelming evidence that they should. Thus when they get stacked, they're crying and moaning.

Bottomline, AK is a great preflop hand. Most people know how to play it preflop which is raising to thin the herd or collect the blinds. It's post flop where people get too attached to them and can't let them go. If they miss the flop, they keep right on betting and calling. If they hit the flop, it's unfathomable that their opponent hit the flop harder with two pair or a set, etc.

Preflop and Postflop are two entirely different situations and you have to take that into account. You have to put your opponent on a range preflop and figure out if the flop helped them. You have to do this with every hand but for some reason people don't do this with AA or AK. They just see that they were huge favorites preflop and expect them to be huge favorites postflop. It's inconcievable to some people that they can go from preflop favs to postflop underdogs. Each street is a different story. Preflop is different from postflop which is different from the turn which is different from the river and you have to treat each street accordingly.

STop overplaying these hands and practice some pot control. Top pair top kicker is not a big hand so stop building big pots with it. If you do that, I gaurantee your experience with AK and AA will be more favorable.

C

cloudyeyes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think AK is the most overrated hand in poker. Not because it's a bad hand...it's because players don't know how to play an AK. If you have bad positioning, make a huge bet, then don't hit the flop, you'll be positioning yourself to either bluff out most of your stack, or give away your stack from the preflop.

AK is a racing hand. AK is good if you NEED to race. If you don't, why risk your stack on a coinflip?

liv3player

liv3player

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True

I didn't say I never reraise preflop with AK. It all depends on the players. When I do reraise it preflop, I want to take the pot right there though usually. I raise all kinds of hands preflop. When you are the aggressor, as you already know, you have a better chance of taking the pot. But in the right situation, it is smart to just call, or even fold AK.

BTW..Anyone who's won more money holding AK than any other hand except AA or KK is obviously not playing enough suited connectors.
This could also be said to lose you more money though.Playing small suited connectors and running into bigger flushes?There is an argument to be made for every scenario.I think it all comes down to the table your at,the position your in,the chip stack you have and the image you present.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a term for just about every play there is in poker. All-ins, insta-shove, c-bet, 4-bet, insta-call and the like. How I bet any hand is strictly situational and positional. There is no right or wrong in my mind - only what seems to fit the situation in THAT hand.
Thats true:)

And looking at my hand data, i see i have only seen AKs 2 times, in 3 months and both times i lost with them :( and AKo i played 7 times and only won 3 times, and with AA wins are 4 for 4 :)..
I will fold AK but it all depends on whats going on, who i am playing at the time.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.....ummm...u say that suited connectors are better than AK!!??!?!?!!!??? dude what are you smokin bro!!!??...top 2 cards, AK is a monster hand!! always reraise or over the top all in

i dunno how people could possibly say that this hand is overrated when in fact the most over rated hand is the one directly below this one AQ. most overrated hand in poker i have ever seen by far.

seem like even if the flop comes out Q 3 7, i run into someone with KK or better.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really think A/K os a great drawin ghand,but rarely a hand to get all your money in with.
I do play it,and raise with it in position.
But I rarely get all my chips in with it,unless I know my oponent and have a good read on them.

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too

I too believe AK is an overrated hand. The only hand you truly want to see is a hand holding a K or an A. Then you actually have them dominated. If you are up against a 27..........well it is almost a coinflip. Around 60/40 are the odds. I do not like to risk my tournament life holding AK, it can be a very good hand but it is actually not too great.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too believe AK is an overrated hand. The only hand you truly want to see is a hand holding a K or an A. Then you actually have them dominated. If you are up against a 27..........well it is almost a coinflip. Around 60/40 are the odds. I do not like to risk my tournament life holding AK, it can be a very good hand but it is actually not too great.

It's not hard to check an odds calculator before posting. And if you're in the game, you want to have a better grasp of odds than demonstrated here. AK unsuited beats 72 unsuited a little more than 2:1, definitely not a coinflip. According to the pokerlistings odds calculator,the exact odds if all four cards are of different suits are 66.79:32.78. AKs beat 27 69.06:30.45. So if you think it's a coinflip, we'll play with the cards face up and you'd be happy to call my AK with your 27, right?

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK it's a good starting hand but depends on the flop how great it really is....if the flop brings small cards then is useless ......i usually play AK with an bet xBB preflop depending on my position at the table....i won most of the AK hands i played :D...so i like the AKs :smile:

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think AK is overrated, but rather sometimes people play AK too much. when I play them I usually raise unless someone before me raised. then depending on the situation I may call and if a bad flop I can fold for cheap or reraise him if im short stacked or he is and go allin.

its the situation when you have AK thats important

ericgarner118

ericgarner118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually don't read through the post like these simply because they are wrong. I decide to read through this one today, and wow! Reading through these just makes me want to go play poker. If people really feel this way about AK/AA I would LOVE to play against them. In the face of constant statistics and knowledge people still try to argue that this hands suck, just amazes me. If anyone has any thought that AK/AA aren't great hands to have, go spend about 20mins punching hands into pokerstove and see how far ahead you are of everyone. If that doesn't work for you, I would love to have you over to my place for a home game :D

T

The Muppetteer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in a tourney today blinds are 100/200 Player 1 UTG raises to 500 Player 2 in the CO re-raises to 1500 and then Player 3 push all-in over the top for a about 3500 which 25% of Player 1's stack and most of player 2. Player 1 then goes all in as does the Player 2.

Player 1 has AK
Player 2 has 99
Player 3 has JJ

Now Player 1 hit twice to take out Players 2 and 3 and good luck to him but surely he had to know he was behind and could have been dominated by AA or KK. A player I admire once said to me that if raise with big unmade hand and its gets re-raised and called or re-re-raised you are behind at least one of them which has proved very useful advice over the journey.

So my question was it a bad move by the AK that got lucky or would you have done what he did?

The Muppetteer