AК on the bubble

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will you fold AK on the bubble or will you play normally?:confused:
The stack is about the same, one opponent.

T

The Long Shot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold AK? On the bubble? Depends on how big those similar stacks are, and what if any action you're facing, but if it's not 2 really big stacks going head to head I'm probably gonna be shoving there.

Why wouldn't you? Because you're scared of bubbling? So are they. Shove with your premium hands.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Apparently it all depends on the size of the prize. But with such cards, I'm more inclined to just play aggressively. I think that with such a strong hand you should take a risk.

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK on a bubble is a push for theft, if we have enough chips to do it

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As always, it depends. Certainly, most of the time you're open shoving or calling, but sometimes you're folding. A rather extreme example where I suspect folding might be best is when some players are very very close to busting (>3bbs) and you're making a decision against the chip leader as a medium stack (the $EV of the chips you're risking is way higher than the $EV of blinds and potential of doubling up in that situation).

Assuming you play within a bankroll, the bubble is not any different from any other stage in the tournament. You're still just maximising $EV. Sadly, the difference between cEV and $EV really start to become noticeable and really influence decisions.

The only way to know for sure what's best is to use a program like SNGwizard or ICMizer, or a GTO solver where you can input the tournament's payout structure. Of course, you can and should make exploitative adjustments based on your playerpool/direct opponent. As a general rule though in the later stages of a tournament you should open-shove wider and call tighter, and avoid action with people that cover you if there are people close to busting.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If my stack is small, then it's better to push. With a normal stack, I will raise to 3-4bb. But I won't throw it out.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against one, of course all in. But if the tournament is important and expensive, you can wait.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally push all in with AK.
However, at times I don't call if someone else has pushed all in.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many things outside of the exact hand. Things like that would be payout structure, ICM implications, potential history with the other player etc. Factors within the hand would be things like effective stacks, pot odds etc.

All else aside, I'd say it greatly matters on what your goals for the event are. If making the bubble is "life-changing money" then there is nothing wrong with folding and waiting to make the money, but if you are a regular on a bankroll and there to win, then I'd play AK the same or even more aggressively. The reasoning behind this is that there is a lot of chips to be picked up near the money bubble by putting other players at risk for their tournament life; these chips will help build your stack into the Final Table and give you a better chance at winning, or placing high (like top 3 places). Playing for the win this way means there is a real risk (although calculated risk) of busting just outside of the money; if you take this line, then you must be okay with this.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
if i have less then 10 bb i push all in , if not i play it normal anf if it a re-raise or all-in that cover me then it is a fold :)

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends how much I invested in that tournament. Usually I go all in with strong hands but as I said it depends. If it's a big tournament, important one with good profit I don't have any prob whatever to fold

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hard to imagine being successful long term if you are playing scared instead of aggressive around the bubble. If bubble money is influencing your decision you are playing above appropriate bankroll levels.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure, I want to see a flop, but all depends on the expected prize, buy in, position and what other players are doing. If there's a Bully on the table, I'd rather stay away.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, if I'm bigger than the guy who's going to speak after me I'll put him all-in if he's smaller than me, if he's bigger than me, I'll open and evaluate the flop if I get called.

forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK on the bubble...Just being in the bubble makes me evaluate everything very carefully (position, stack, prizes, villans, etc) I try not to standarize my play.

Most of the time I would play AK aggressivily. Probably fold them if I am in UTG, o BB against a lot of agressive players... It´s hard to say without a full screen of situation.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a risk of leaving the tournament, and the number of chips is safe, then the reset will not be so difficult.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I would definitely play with AK, in freerolls by all means, it doesn't matter if I have many or few stacks.
In a big and important tournament, you are no longer sure.
If no one raised before me, and there are only small stacks after me all-in. if larger stack raised earlier i fold.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If it is a big call I will happily fold a drawing hand like this.
If I'm going to play it, then my raise will depend on things like position, stack size and my predicted opponent response.
If your opponent is timid make the raise big to take blinds.
If you are up against a LAG deny them information by maybe limping or if they bet first float them, if they have a high Cbet %, raise them when they Cbet the turn.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your word is the first, then you need to push, but I would not advise you to ***** yourself!

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This happen to me exactly on the bubble this year in event #4 “the reunion” at the wsop with blinds at 8k/16k/16k
my stack was 284k I was on the button with A♦️K♣️
UTG +1 raised to 64k his stack was 300k after the raise it folded around to me, now most players weren’t raising 4x it was mostly 2x-2.5x. So the utg+1 and a 4x raised made me think he really didn’t want a call and with my hand I didn’t really want to just flat and maybe let one of the blinds get in the pot too, so I ended up shoving for my whole stack into a pot of 104k
Both blinds folded and ended up back at the original raiser and as I expected he didn’t snap call so I knew if he did call it was going to be a flip at best. He ended up tank calling with pocket 10’s flop AA9 turn 9 river 10
I ended up scooping a 608k pot and made the money
Now for me even though I’m on the bubble I honestly can’t fold my premium hands just to make a min cash
with that hand on the bubble I only ended up playing one more hand really with only 420k at the level 22 right before we bag and tag for day 2
I ended winning a 3 way pot for 1.1 million with 10/9suited in the BB and turned a straight on an open ended flop
So what I’m trying to say is that AK or any premium hand doesn’t come around alot and you need to make the most out of it when you can especially deep in the tournament. Other than that you need alot of luck too hope this helps a little it’s just one persons thought

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the bubble, I usually fold everything, even aces, not only AA, except when the stack allows a raise to be used. I am afraid to push, because the opponent can rearrange and I will be a bubblegirl) and it’s a pity for the time spent if you are offendedly leaving the tournament on the bubble, so it’s better to wait it out, fold the nuts, but get into the ITM.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise at about 4BB.
All-in is dangerous. Fold is nonsense.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the size of the prize.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's fine if you want to play tight and fold AK on the bubble. But if you want to play to win the tournament or reach deep more often, you need to take some risk and AK is enough good to play here.