AК on the bubble

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically no unless you are insanely deep. Like the opponent is the chip leader with 110BB, and you are the runner up with 90BB. Then it can certainly be reasonable to not call a jam from the opponent with AK. Or maybe you take a more passive approach and just call his 3-bet to control the size of the pot, so that you dont give him a chance to put in a 5-bet in the first place.

But if we are talking more typical tournament stack sizes like 40BB or less, then I would need an extremely solid read to not get it in preflop with AK against a single opponent, both as a jam and a call. Like if he is a 14/9 with a 3-bet of 2% over 2.000 hands, and he rips it in my face over a standard open raise. Then ok maybe I consider folding, but this is absolutely the exception, and its not mainly because, its on the bubble.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just raise it and play it out. If someone three bets you could just flat or fold

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do not play for three hours just to bubble. I will fold my AK if I am not the smallest chips stack remaining.
Job one for me is to be ITM, so I am rewarded for my time, so yes. If by folding AK, I can be in the money, I would do it all day long.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
its depends what prize is coming in my opinion ;)

when i can win some massive ticket or all prize package i think two times ;) but probably fold and wait for better hand :0

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not play for three hours just to bubble.

But you play three hours just to min-cash and get your money back like two times? If thats your main priority, why not play a 9-man SnG, where you are typically in the money after an hour or less?

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a big stack, you need to be aggressive, steal the blinds and force your opponents to fold on a dangerous flop. If you are a chip leader, none of your opponents will get involved in a confrontation with you without a good hand. The opponents will play very tight. Each of them will want to get into the prizes. Rather, they will, gritting their teeth, throw out a lot of hands just to stay in the tournament.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
money bubble, i'm will play for stacks unless super deep effectively. not worried about bubbling here.

final table bubble, still play aggressive but more cautiously as i don't want to punt a final table spot. making ft is more crucial than money bubble. obviously go for it if i'm shortish stack.

satellite bubble, never risking if i have gtd seat locked up.

Check2021Mate

Check2021Mate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on many things outside of the exact hand. Things like that would be payout structure, ICM implications, potential history with the other player etc. Factors within the hand would be things like effective stacks, pot odds etc.

All else aside, I'd say it greatly matters on what your goals for the event are. If making the bubble is "life-changing money" then there is nothing wrong with folding and waiting to make the money, but if you are a regular on a bankroll and there to win, then I'd play AK the same or even more aggressively. The reasoning behind this is that there is a lot of chips to be picked up near the money bubble by putting other players at risk for their tournament life; these chips will help build your stack into the Final Table and give you a better chance at winning, or placing high (like top 3 places). Playing for the win this way means there is a real risk (although calculated risk) of busting just outside of the money; if you take this line, then you must be okay with this.

I totally agree with this and in addition, Position and number of possible callers will be my key criterias to FOLD OR NOT.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Will you fold AK on the bubble or will you play normally?:confused:
The stack is about the same, one opponent.

This isn't a straight forward question, you'd have to consider:

• What are your and the villain's stacks in relation to the rest of the field?
  • What position are you in (e.g. how many players left to act)?
  • How short are the players closest to bubbling and am I one of them?
  • What speed are the blind levels (from slow to hyper-turbo)?
  • How flat is the payout structure?
  • How active ahs the other player been leading up to the bubble (e.g. are they just putting pressure on short stacks at the table)?
  • Does the other player have a bounty and is it bigger than the value of a min cash?
  • What pot odds are being offered for getting it in?
Everything in poker is situational, so it would be tough to give a generic yes/no for a question like this. Maybe try providing a specific scenario if you have a specific hand in mind.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is already a difficult question. I clearly play with a pair of aces and I hope we get all-in against my opponent, because it's a good opportunity to double the stack, but A, K is a different situation.
With this bubble preflop, the all-in is more dangerous. I’d rather try to look at the flop and then decide whether to play for a stack or discard my hand.
It doesn’t even matter if I’m a shortstack or an average maybe a big stack that I have because it can also affect my game.
But I'm always more careful with A, K.
Good luck. :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
.Its not that easy of question to answer, If my stack is on the shorted side I am most likely going to play it fast and hard, If we both have big stacks it would be an error to go crazy with this hand and I would play a bit more carefully. Then its the player I am against and how he plays that would be part of the equation. To be honest I play to win and not min cash so I am much more likely to play it all the way than not.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's deep bubble and the player got a low stack I guess it can be done but usually AK it's a strong hand

M

Mercury7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, thanks a lot for your answers! :):)
It is very interesting to read different opinions (fold / not fold and why) and most importantly useful!
How I love the Cardschat forum!;);)Good luck to all.

S

SheldonMS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
It depends on evaluating the general situation (opponent, stack, payouts) , but my tendency is to fold.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on payouts, my stack, opponents stack, and position. Your question is like "what do u do if ..." and there is no information about "IF" ! ... Its bad question if you what to start play better

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a problem hand that traps us if the opponent has a third of my stack I go allin, if he has more I will play it very carefully, even if it means folding