3betting for value

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is going to be a lot more profitable with fold equity. People can and do fold pairs 77-JJ preflop. Flatting to flop a dominating pair to stack AQ is like playing it for set value only (you have roughly the same odds of hitting a dominating pair as flopping a set -- 1 in 9).

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is going to be a lot more profitable with fold equity. People can and do fold pairs 77-JJ preflop. Flatting to flop a dominating pair to stack AQ is like playing it for set value only (you have roughly the same odds of hitting a dominating pair as flopping a set -- 1 in 9).

What about KQ? I have 2 good TP cards not just one

I can also get postflop value form AJ AT KJ KT

76s that decides to bluff

By flatting you dont have to hit a pair on the flop to be ahead due to how much people cbet.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter if he has AQ/AJ/AT/KQ, there are only 2 cards left in the deck to flop to give you a dominating pair.

By 3-betting you don't have to hit a pair on the flop to win. You don't even have to see a flop.

Not to mention the fact that plenty of hands like QJ/QT/JT/98/76 have decent equity against us. Getting hands that have 30-55% equity is a pretty good thing.

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter if he has AQ/AJ/AT/KQ, there are only 2 cards left in the deck to flop to give you a dominating pair.

I dont see what you mean.

If he has AT and the flop is 258r he cbets, I call, I have the best hand against his range. Why do I need to make a pair to get value on the flop?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to mention the fact that plenty of hands like QJ/QT/JT/98/76 have decent equity against us. Getting hands that have 30-55% equity is a pretty good thing.

You seem to want the villains 3bb at all costs. I want the other 97. I will not take a value hand and turn it into a bluff preflop (assuming his calling range is so narrow that I cannot be called by worse)

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first off your hypothetical villain's calling range is likely non-existent. it makes no sense that someone calls with 55 and folds AQs.

secondly, how often do you think you are getting 100 BBs from AT when you flat AK? If you are going to stack them it's probably going to be in a low SPR hand, not in a high one. In fact, if you play AK with a high SPR you probably are making a big mistake getting stacks in even with top pair.

Try not to play your hand so much as your range. If you 3-bet AK, QQ+, suited crap it is a mistake for someone to call with 88-JJ. It doesn't really matter if 88 is "worse" or better than AK, it's whether or not your range makes it a mistake to flat. By flatting ourselves we don't let him make a mistake.

by your logic we might as well open limp AK (not to mention AA) to keep all worse hands in.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars