Are you offended by table chat online?

T

ticoarm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will block chat at that situation.

BTW, sometimes some players' Avatar is annoying.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy socializing on the chat box and I 'm not afraid to say what's on my mind, for me its an excellent way for me to past the time away:D

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I enjoy socializing on the chat box and I 'm not afraid to say what's on my mind, for me its an excellent way for me to past the time away:D

NO Way! A quiet, shy gal like you? :eek: :stupid:

J

JackGrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get offended... and I hardly ever chat back, but when I do it's friendly

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe some people use it as an advantage depending on if it works against an opponent. I once saw 2 guys play online on bcp on heads up cash 10/20 and i thought what the hell are they talking about, they both had over $2000.00 and here they are talking about eachothers mother. I usually just shut the chat off and turn it on later if im playing a tourney and make the final..

alext9000

alext9000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how you are..I usually ignore what they type...and just play my game..I m not a person who looks to word-fight others.

V

Vazh93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just mute those guys then focus on my play. No point in reading those annoying messages if you have the option to mute.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very rarely offended by negative comments online. Sometimes it comes as a bit of a surprise, but only if it is in a Cardschat game or something similar - this is generally because I have already assumed most people here can understand the long-term benefits of accepting everyone in a positive/neutral atmosphere. But even then you just have to accept some people are in a different mood and see things differently.

As mentioned before, generally when someone chats at a random table, it is big tell that they could be one of the following:

1. A fish to online poker
2. An average player tilting
3. Someone inbetween 1 & 2 just playing for fun (bored/lonely/drunk, etc...)

Advanced mode:

4. Trying to put you off your game short-term (Tony G style)
5. Trying to create a long-term beneficial atmosphere (Negreanu style)

In an ideal world I'd like to be able to be a Daniel Negreanu and chat back with everyone, keeping them playing and leaving happily and coming back again to play more poker, giving us all more chips! Unfortunately, responding in all kinds, positive or negative, can sometimes alter my own mood and therefore my own game.

In short it is best for me to keep quiet online and ignore most chatboxes. Any time I come close to getting emotionally involved, I try to remember the bigger picture and use their tells to beat them on the table instead. Hope this helps anyone still getting annoyed. :)

V

Vic L

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think chat can be useful to keep players tilted. And to keep them at the table.
Ask for what you don't want, tilty drunk players love to rebel...

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Offended no. Ready to punch the guy who hit a 2 outer on me and calls me an idiot and brags about how great he is, yes. That's why they only do it anonymously and at least electronically over great distances.

S

sylpoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen most everything in chat in online poker over the years. Now I. mostly just ignore it,unless someone says something funny:)

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why there is a mute button, I don't even bother listening to it.

P

PokerGenie74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it's fun sometime but then scary when u get a personal response, like they're spying on u or something.

K

kyndlyon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i get a kick out of players that get so worked up about losing a hand. particularly when it's a freeroll

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if I'd say I've been offended. I'm not sure what word I would use to describe how I feel about some of the nonsense I've seen in the chat box. I certainly don't care for it. I don't like seeing racial slurs and name calling. I'm a big boy and I can handle bad words, but that kind of stuff has no place in poker. But for it to offend me, it would first have to be directed towards me. And then, I would have to give a damn what that person said or thought.

I'm not going to let what pops up in a little box, next to some faceless, made up name upset me. If you pay attention, you will notice that when someone is at the table berating other players and criticizing what everyone else is playing, they're probably playing the same types of hands. It's a tactic! Don't let it get to you.

For instance, when someone just ridiculed you for playing Q-10, you're never going to suspect him of making a move when he 3-bets you with Q-8 a couple hands later. Not only that, but I've seen players get so self conscious that they stop playing their normal game because they don't want to mess up and have this guy crack on them. They stop playing hands and let the loudmouth run the table over. The whole time they're getting themselves so wound up that they start looking for anything they can jam down his throat and shut him up with. The next thing you know they're ready to shove the second they catch a piece of the flop only to find that Mr. Loudmouth just flopped sixes and deuces.

As for the guy calling your mother names and wishing rectal cancer upon you, you mostly see that when they have just lost a hand. That's just sore loser talk. You just have to know how to translate it. A lot of the most horrible sounding phrases translate to things like nice hand, or well played, sir. In fact sometimes, when I pick off a huge bluff, I immediately glance at the chat box and am disappointed not to see it fill up with a bunch of cussing and fussing.

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does not bother me, however I will make a note on a player who goes off on the table after a losing hand so for future reference I know how said person reacts.

My whole goal next time I see them is to get them tilted, I dont go too far out of my way to try and do this but I do know they are a lose cannon so if the given spot is available I do try and take it.

I think we've all seen somebody lose a big pot and go off on the table and shove the next hand no matter what, always nice to wake up with some ladies, cowboys or pocket rockets in this case though it does not happen that often!

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chat is completely unnecessary, it does not improve your game at all. However, chat is very nice thing to have in CC freerolls, as it makes a good atmosphere for the players.

T

teknishin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Player Online Etiquette

Actually the amount of players and the amount of anger and their choice of words is quite unsettling from when I actually care to take a look at it. I usually ignore those things though because chat diverts from concentration.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not offended but definitely annoyed by those players who have no class. Some people take their table chat to a whole new "level"

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about the players who lose and start with offenses on the table? My take on this is that these individuals may be children; an adult does not do that sort of thing.

This isn't the way I learned to play the game.

bsam

bsam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at the chat box like 10 times a tourney I've noticed there are a lot of immature people out there I don't care really I just keep playing my cards. Some of the stuff is offensive but that's usually because I just beat them. When they get offensive I just try to get them back by taking them out. I step up my game.

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would be surprised how childish adults can be. If the chat gets irritating I just turn it off. But it can be highly amusing, plus you know the guy has lost it and will play bad.

E

Ezra2535

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to chat once in awhile and no one ever chats back!! nothing mean or bad but come on people, boring haha

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I turn on the chat box is when I am drinking. I have met some people that I am still friends with fro chat after 10 years so it has some good and some bad.
If someone is being ignorant or abusive I just block their chat. I think on Poke r Stars they continue to be blocked even if you shut down your computer.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I PREFER CHAT

Just concentrate on your game and try to put all the distractions away.
The more chat the funnier the game I always say, butt there are some that take it to the limits hahaha:eek: