Can you make A living from 25nl?

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get yourself a limp and a few kids and you get a new car no insurance 2 foreign holidays a year no council tax child benefit and still earn above the average wage

Yeah its sickening, give the torys a little longer though and hopefully theyll fix that.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, but in what third world country do you live??? The 2012 US poverty level threshold for a single individual is just under $12K/year so $1K/month.

I thought you were from UK? If so I realize you get free healthcare and such which are huge burdens on US income, but there's also your VAT and other high taxation (although not on gambling winnings) there, and otherwise the cost of living is pretty high in Europe compared to most of the US. At least it was for the 3 years I lived there. So I'm puzzled by your $400/month statement.
Where do you live mate? Sounds pretty damn cheap!

No offense take it, i live in mexico.

Was living close to the border with California, but recently move out more to the central-east part and life is really cheap in general. Bills are payed every other month not each month like was paying before, also living just outside the city, small town, friendly people, get a house with 2 bedrooms (Wife and i take care of my folks who are on the 70´s.). You can eat with about $200 by month, pay around $150 on bills, and the rest is for expenses. Really happy here tbh.

The 2011 US average annual salary is $43K, so almost $3.6K/month (nearly 10x what you quoted).
Dollar is 13:1 local coin.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense take it, i live in Mexico.

Makes much more sense. I'm from Africa originally, $500 a month where I'm from would be enough to buy me more than one house. Still, if OP is living in Europe $500 a month would be barely enough to eat, let alone pay rent and bills.

CheckraiseLife

CheckraiseLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, this guy sounds like me 2 years ago,
I lived in the UK on 25nl for a little while, i did it for 4 months paying £400 rent in some shitty bedsit, I played like 9- 12 hour days 10 tables at the time, it was hard paying for food and rent and other bills but i did it although i quickly realised how much of a bad idea it was lol, its not ****ing glamorous at all its just really baddd lol. You will eventually burn out and hate your life, I really think winrates are also bullshit since it can vary so much over the longrun you shouldnt make crazy plans based on your winrate its forever changing, and is dependant on so many factors.

I highly recommend you try and get to 100nl maybe 50nl you could really do it i guess on your own if you put in long hours and try and have a rakeback deal on a site liek FTP for instance, but yea man really dont rush yourself out the door try and get like 80 buyins for whatever level your goin for i used to follow the 100buyin rule but i just find that to be overkill. Plan it out its taken me 4 years but now ftp has paid out my roll is at a point where i can think about having a nice place and playing fully pro if I crush 50nl- 100nl for two months. currently semi pro work 2 days a week poker the rest

Last edited:
Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, this guy sounds like me 2 years ago,
I lived in the UK on 25nl for a little while, i did it for 4 months paying £400 rent in some shitty bedsit, I played like 9- 12 hour days 10 tables at the time, it was hard paying for food and rent and other bills but i did it although i quickly realised how much of a bad idea it was lol, its not ****ing glamorous at all its just really baddd lol. You will eventually burn out and hate your life, I really think winrates are also bullshit since it can vary so much over the longrun you shouldnt make crazy plans based on your winrate its forever changing, and is dependant on so many factors.

I highly recommend you try and get to 100nl maybe 50nl you could really do it i guess on your own if you put in long hours and try and have a rakeback deal on a site liek FTP for instance, but yea man really dont rush yourself out the door try and get like 80 buyins for whatever level your goin for i used to follow the 100buyin rule but i just find that to be overkill. Plan it out its taken me 4 years but now ftp has paid out my roll is at a point where i can think about having a nice place and playing fully pro if I crush 50nl- 100nl for two months. currently semi pro work 2 days a week poker the rest
Thanks rly good advice like I said before I am trying to set A min that it can be done at o/c I will try my hardest to move up just wondering if it can be done thats all.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No offense take it, i live in Mexico.
Ah, that does make more sense -- for some reason I had you pegged as Euro.

I've been to Mexico many times, met my wife there, and actually lived in Mexico for awhile in the 80's (in Juarez, before the cartels took over and it was actually a happening party city).

Dollar is 13:1 local coin.
Yeah when I was there before they reformed the peso, it was like 3500:1 and you're right, on my lowly soldiers pay I could live like a baller. Which is why I spent so much time across the border.

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where theres a will, theres a way...Good luck with that, I couldnt do it, I would have an anxiety attack or heart attack from the swings of NL...Hope you tear it buddy. Lets us know how you do?
Thanks man for some reason I dident even see your post will do I'm not even their yet though still grinding 4nl :eek: with A br of about 160$ but yes my goal is to go pro some day. I will pm you the day I do :D

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So after looking at the numbers more I have noticed its rly not 2k its more like 1500 and thats setting 600$ for rent and I have heard thats on the high side...I live in usa btw :( that also includes savings and "entertainment" I have that set at 150$ and I dought I will even use that as I'm not A bling blang type of guy.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why you would want to make "just enough" doing a very hard, mentally and emotionally draining job. Being a pro without making tons of money would be awful. It's fine if you're still in college or whatever but you need to be making a lot for it to be worth it.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you live in USA not see the point to go pro if your money is not really safe in the small numbers of sites still open. Also not sure you could make any decent volume on a USA open site.

Lot of 2+2 blogs talk about pro poker players that move-out to Canada or Mexico to could play on Stars and keep playing the amount of games/hands they use to play, aside of volume cashing-out on usa sites is a pain. Not sure if where you are playing don´t have any of those issues.

Gl though

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah ok I dont plan on doing this till A few years and I'm assuming US poker might be back by then and I know I should get some kind of part time job its just I have no idea where to start everything I look at seems so blah to me.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah ok I dont plan on doing this till A few years and I'm assuming us poker might be back by then and I know I should get some kind of part time job its just I have no idea where to start everything I look at seems so blah to me.

Well until you're mashing 100NL, Poker should be a 'blah' option as well. Find a job that has good promotion opportunities.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mcdonalds?

If it offers good opportunities then yes. Its best to get yourself into large companies where promotion is possible, even if it means working your way up from the very bottom.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figured as much, but I've heard of a few people that have worked their way up to like a regional manager position within a number of years.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Burger King > Jack in the Box > Mcdonalds> Carls Jr

About the food of course.

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Logan I'm moving to mexico and going to live with you thats me at your door dont be scared its just me have any coffe?

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate McDonalds with a passion. Except for McFlurries.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Logan I'm moving to mexico and going to live with you thats me at your door dont be scared its just me have any coffe?

You first need to pass over the 2 big german sheepers dogs:)

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread has progressed through quite a few topics very quickly.

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread has progressed through quite a few topics very quickly.
Mmmmmmm Oh and I have decided to get A part time job as much as I dident want to I now realize that it will take alot of pressure off me to produce results now while I build my br thanks guys for advice.....still planning on going pro. :)