Can you make A living from 25nl?

F

Free2500

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't a guy make $15,000 in one month and bet people on it at 25NL? I'm sure you could if you played 30 tables...

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you beaten 25nl over a decent sample?

I would get a job and play in the evenings, you could easily have horrendous losing months and how will you survive then?

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st / what is WR?

I agree with WV here, either go up in stake or learn to hit more tables.

I guess the amount you'll need depends on where you are because my rent is more than $250 a week. ($1,150/month)

:evil:

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely would have to play more tables. If you can maintain a WR of like 3-4 BB and can bash in between 1000-1800 hands per hour (14-24 tables), it should be possible.

14 tables - $15-$20 per hour, $2400-$3200 per month
24 tables - $27-$36 per hour, $4320-$5760 per month

This is obviously without rakeback.

I think you would realistically have to be this good to go pro... so maybe in 20 years I'll be good enough.

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely would have to play more tables. If you can maintain a WR of like 3-4 BB and can bash in between 1000-1800 hands per hour (14-24 tables), it should be possible.

14 tables - $15-$20 per hour, $2400-$3200 per month
24 tables - $27-$36 per hour, $4320-$5760 per month

This is obviously without rakeback.

I think you would realistically have to be this good to go pro... so maybe in 20 years I'll be good enough.
I would always use rb but thanks for the numbers.

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah it will get you SN in 6/7 months. and yeah i totally agree, thats why id make sure i had a fair bit of rainy day money first if i was OP. i never had that cushion and ive had some tough weeks lolol

^ tough weeks lol

rent food and bills?

iono i can live off 200 a week easy, 500 just seems like super luxury to me

oh yeah and if you play 235 storm hypers and are half decent, youre getting 50% RB im pretty sure
You are one sick human JC how on earth can you live off 200/week? Unless you are spliting cost with friend?

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rofl i wouldn't be comfortable making a living off 200nl let alone 25nl

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i swear i've seen this thread hundreds of times:

GUYS how many PTBBs would i need to win at at 2c/5c NL and make a living?? let's say i win at 10 PTBBs and play 500k hands a month (its ok i only need 4 hrs a night to sleep and 1 hr a day to eat/poop) and i've done the math i can live in a cardboard box down by the bridge for $20/month and play in the library do u think i can do it?? im gonna do it!!

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rofl i wouldn't be comfortable making a living off 200nl let alone 25nl

yeha but we cant all be ship it holla ballas like you lol

You are one sick human JC how on earth can you live off 200/week? Unless you are spliting cost with friend?

i live cheap. its by no means epic, but imo playing a game i love all day, having whatever schedule i want > having to be someones bitch working a job i hate

3 other house mates so rent is only $80/week ea. phonebill is like $25/week and ye id say my girlfriend and i spend prob100-150 a week each on food. oh and im forgetting my $25/week on cigarettes lol. so yeah, this is a little more than 200, i obv didnt work it out before, but if i had 500 tax free dollars a week id probably be wiping my ass with money

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't think you could rent a broom closet in someone's rape dungeon for $80/month in america

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't think you could rent a broom closet in someone's rape dungeon for $80/month in america

rofl.

did i **** that up? i thought i said $80 x4/week, so $1280 a month

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whether you can live on $1280/month is way different from the question on whether you can live on $1280/month for the rest of your life. Sure it's possible but most people smart enough to win at poker could be making a shitton more other places and then not be busto still living in a dump when they're 40.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but this 'same thread' has pushed me. Don't mean to offend but...

Why in the HELL would you want to do that?!?! Instead of asking if you can, you really need to ask, why would you want to. If you are at the 25NL stage you are not good enough to be 'pro'. Sorry, you are not. That does not mean you can't cover your expenses blah blah, but why would you do that to yourself? Personally, I would rather work--you KNOW there will be a paycheck then, and then play to get better. If you think playing 25NL to make 2K a month is NOT work, you have not done it and you're being a bit delusional. As many have pointed out, that is a ton of hours and where poker is fun, talk to many of the old grinders--it can become work.

IMO, hone your game and build a BR up to where you can play at a decent level to obtain a decent return. Keep your day job until you build a HUGE nut that a swing does not bother you and move up a few levels so you don't end up gouging your eyes out staring at a monitor for 10+ hours a day.

Putting in 60+ hours a week on the computer is still putting in 60+ hours a week of work. Plan, learn, get better. Move up in stakes and work when you want and play longer when the game is juicy. Grinding at such a low level is a complete waste of talent. Learn the game, and beat it so you can enjoy the things you want to do and are not forced into just eeking out an existence.

Sorry for the rant. Best of luck.
Cheers

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy way to get cheap rent - become a student.. £60 per week.. ding dang doo

Student fees of £9k a year may apply

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can live with $150/week - $600/month in here and is more than the avg salary.

avg salary is less than $400/month.

I mean you guys have the $5/hr mcdonalds salary when in here is around $8 for all day!!. we are 1x13.5 dollar.

So i guess it depends where you live.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This sounds a bit like self induced slavery. You won't have to worry about paying your living expenses, since you will have so little time to have a life. You will be spending most of your day playing poker. Good luck, if you can take the emotional strain.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no clue where you guys are living that you could get by fine on $200/week, $800/month unless you're living in your parent's basements. In any apartment I've ever lived in(and especially my house), I wouldn't be able to get remotely close to being able to get by on that, even my cheap ass college apartments. If I wanted to eat at least.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Putting in 60+ hours a week on the computer is still putting in 60+ hours a week of work.

It's actually even worse. Most jobs where you work 60 hours some of that time is down time, chit chat, etc. When you're working 60 hours/week with poker you're mass-tabling every single one of those 60 hours. You're concentrating with 100% of your mind 100% of the time. 60 hours/week with a real job is already a lot but doable. 60 hours/week for poker is an absurd amount of hours and very few are good enough to do it, and if you are good enough to do it you should focus more on moving up so you can use those skills at 200nl+.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
avg salary is less than $400/month
No offense, but in what third world country do you live??? The 2011 US average annual salary is $43K, so almost $3.6K/month (nearly 10x what you quoted). The 2012 US poverty level threshold for a single individual is just under $12K/year so $1K/month.

I thought you were from UK? If so I realize you get free healthcare and such which are huge burdens on US income, but there's also your VAT and other high taxation (although not on gambling winnings) there, and otherwise the cost of living is pretty high in Europe compared to most of the US. At least it was for the 3 years I lived there. So I'm puzzled by your $400/month statement.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea i really dont think it would be even worth it to try to make a living at such a low level... too stressful for not that much of a trade off... your working more than the average person with no guarantee of money lol

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was just asking guys....geez I'm only trying to find A base lvl that it can be done at and I never said its NOT work.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, but in what third world country do you live??? The 2011 US average annual salary is $43K, so almost $3.6K/month (nearly 10x what you quoted). The 2012 US poverty level threshold for a single individual is just under $12K/year so $1K/month.

I thought you were from UK? If so I realize you get free healthcare and such which are huge burdens on US income, but there's also your VAT and other high taxation (although not on gambling winnings) there, and otherwise the cost of living is pretty high in Europe compared to most of the US. At least it was for the 3 years I lived there. So I'm puzzled by your $400/month statement.

The UK's avg is about £26k last time I heard. I think $400 per month is the average income for people without a job haha

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The UK's avg is about £26k last time I heard. I think $400 per month is the average income for people without a job haha
get yourself a limp and a few kids and you get a new car no insurance 2 foreign holidays a year no council tax child benefit and still earn above the average wage

Extreme Fishing

Extreme Fishing

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where do you live mate? Sounds pretty damn cheap!
you can live with $150/week - $600/month in here and is more than the avg salary.

avg salary is less than $400/month.

I mean you guys have the $5/hr mcdonalds salary when in here is around $8 for all day!!. we are 1x13.5 dollar.

So i guess it depends where you live.