Will poker ever really be considered a sport?

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

There are stereotypes and prejudices about every sport. As for poker, for example, it is not a sport but a game of chance. But what makes a game a sport?

You need rules and a little performance-based competition. The athlete should set a goal in front of him and train continuously and train himself. Do so by eliminating distractions, such as losing this race, there will be consequences that can affect your life outside of your sport. These criteria are all met by poker as a sport, be it online or live.
Although luck plays a bigger role in the short term than in chess, it also makes the game as lucrative, because it allows a low-skilled player to win, after which he gets into an ego-based game, which makes it very difficult to see that only won thanks to luck. Anyone who deals with this actually knows that we are investing money in different chances of winning (percentages) here, which in the long run, if done well, will be profitable, so it is much more like the stock market.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi!

There are stereotypes and prejudices about every sport. As for poker, for example, it is not a sport but a game of chance. But what makes a game a sport?

You need rules and a little performance-based competition. The athlete should set a goal in front of him and train continuously and train himself. Do so by eliminating distractions, such as losing this race, there will be consequences that can affect your life outside of your sport. These criteria are all met by poker as a sport, be it online or live.
Although luck plays a bigger role in the short term than in chess, it also makes the game as lucrative, because it allows a low-skilled player to win, after which he gets into an ego-based game, which makes it very difficult to see that only won thanks to luck. Anyone who deals with this actually knows that we are investing money in different chances of winning (percentages) here, which in the long run, if done well, will be profitable, so it is much more like the stock market.

Well placed your viewpoint

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never understood people who want poker to be recognised as a sport.

It's a game. And that's just fine. A game is not inferior to a sport. It's just different.

A

Adrianlovera

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that yes it can be a sports couse is about skills and it's competitive, mathematical backgrounds, stadistics, bluff and a Lot of money to be won, just look professionals poker players they are an another level. You have to training yourself, study your oponentes and Beat them, luck it's a factor but it's takes so much more of that ti win a tournament, online games like lol and FIFA are sports so why not poker?

Last edited:
dom97

dom97

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would have to get an Olympic event first which I personally don't see happening. That's my way of considering an event as a sport.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Currently, poker has been characterized as a sport. Although this is a reality, I find this statement that poker is a sport somewhat ironic. But to get an idea, luck is present in all sports. It just doesn't require physical effort, as in most traditional sports, but mental. A game where, similarly, does not require physical effort, but mental effort, is chess. So some like to compare it to poker. But it is still very different from each other. The core of the skill in playing chess is decidedly in the skill.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it will never be, because in a sport the main factor is skill, which is achieved with a lot of discipline and repetition. What does not happen in poker ... there is no point in studying, making the right move when the factor of luck or "bad luck" has a very high weight in the performance of the player. That is why I find it very hypocritical for people who live on the basis of marketing, to be feeding dreams, investing time and money in something that does not depend exclusively on technique and performance. of the main characteristics of "sport" mainly individual.except some team sports ... but you never say that Nadal was champion 3 times but was lucky, OR tennis player was champion against Nadal but was lucky ... OR Nadal was unlucky and got the vice-championship. The answer will always be played badly and will be lost, it was not good he ended up making mistakes ... Then poker has an advantage over sport, an amateur can become a champion exclusively by chance overnight. And it definitely does not happen in any "fair" sport, it is this factor that makes poker so unfair and frustrating.

At first when I did not know anything about poker, I always thought that it was a game that depended more on the "luck" factor than the skill of the player.

But when I started to play it and to learn more about poker, my ideas and thoughts about the game began to change, I gradually realized that with skill and knowledge I had more advantage over my opponents than I had already passed a card game. or luck to a mental game the psychological effect and that only depended on a little luck like everything in life.

Perhaps you haven't realized that it is always the same well-known players with a long history in poker who win the most wsop events or bracelets. Do you think they were born luckier than the others? no right? they have years preparing and studying about the game to become professionals.

I understand your point of view that any amateur player can win an event if that day the cards accompany him and the variance is in his favor, of course it can happen. But do you think that this fan will continue to win more events or tournaments as often as professional poker players do?

in the short term luck reigns, but in the long term dexterity and skill reign.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The strategy is there, the analysis on the game of oneself and that of others, the knowledge is in progress according to each player, the skill of the player. And perhaps most importantly, the player's ability to make their winnings profitable in the long run. I think that most of these things are favorable for considering poker as a sport.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker can easily be called a sport. This is an intellectual sport. Checkers, backgammon. dominoes, bones, it's all a kind of sports interest.

C

Clean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it will never be, because in a sport the main factor is skill, which is achieved with a lot of discipline and repetition. What doesn't happen in poker ... there is no point in practicing studying, making the right move when the luck factor or "bad luck" has a very high weight on the player's performance. So I find it very hypocritical on the part of people who live on the basis of marketing, to be nurturing dreams, investing time and money in something that doesn’t depend exclusively on technique and performance. of the main characteristics of the "sport" mainly individual. except for some team sports ... but you never say Nadal was champion 3 times but was lucky, Or tennis player was champion against nadal but it was lucky ... Or Nadal was unlucky and got the vice championship. The answer will always be played badly and lost, it wasn't right ended up making mistakes ... So poker has an advantage over the sport, an amateur can become a champion exclusively by luck overnight. And definitely it doesn't happen in any "fair" sport, it is this factor that makes poker so unfair and frustrating.
Hope not

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree in disagree

I think poker is pure lucky... if you're a very bad player, and by the time you get better, your will gradually decrease the efect of lucky in your play. I'm not saying that eventually you'll not depend on lucky anymore, but come on, don't you think that sometimes Nadal can wake up in a bad mood and it you give his adversary some lucky to win in this time? In the same way, a very good poker player may sometimes lose to a amateur one, but in the majority of times, he will surelly win.
In my opinion it will never be, because in a sport the main factor is skill, which is achieved with a lot of discipline and repetition. What doesn't happen in poker ... there is no point in practicing studying, making the right move when the luck factor or "bad luck" has a very high weight on the player's performance. So I find it very hypocritical on the part of people who live on the basis of marketing, to be nurturing dreams, investing time and money in something that doesn’t depend exclusively on technique and performance. of the main characteristics of the "sport" mainly individual. except for some team sports ... but you never say Nadal was champion 3 times but was lucky, Or tennis player was champion against nadal but it was lucky ... Or Nadal was unlucky and got the vice championship. The answer will always be played badly and lost, it wasn't right ended up making mistakes ... So poker has an advantage over the sport, an amateur can become a champion exclusively by luck overnight. And definitely it doesn't happen in any "fair" sport, it is this factor that makes poker so unfair and frustrating.

J

jkersten

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is in fact considered a sport, a mind sport.
Sport: Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is considered in some countries as a game of mental ability like chess, what happens is that the word sport is related to the physical and in reality poker can also be an exhausting game so your body is almost inert in a chair for long hours, but what you do not know is that you are really having a mental exhaustion and if the brain gets tired the body too.

Now talking about the part of the variance or chance if it is true that this game also depends a bit on luck, but what really makes you a winner and become a professional player is your ability and knowledge of the game your skills, nobody is born with more luck than another person or vice versa with less luck than another, because if that were the case, there would be no professional poker players.

G

Gameguyguru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I doubt it but maybe the give it a name like csports haha they did it with video games so who knows. Even then though I think they public would never consider it a sport.

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the sport no, Would you consider old maid game a sport? Tic-tac toe lol monopoly,?

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course yes. In the same way as the chess game.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
As there are fat unfit people playing poker, then it's not a sport.

:top:

K

Kenorgcom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it was already, but since it isn’t then it should be.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I doubt it. There is no physical component that gives a player an advantage. Other than staying awake and avoiding fatigue, reflexes, hand-eye and strength are not important.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I don't see your way of thinking that way, for me a sport that helps me relax since I don't take it very personally when I lose due to the bad luck factor, I just calm down and move on

A

AlabamaCam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sports are entertaining and so is poker. If curling is a sport, well……..
2024 OLYMPIC POKER

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

It won't be, but it would be interesting if it were, in this changing world that can happen.

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
No , never. Because it is 99% luck....