Will poker ever really be considered a sport?

A

airvikki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think poker is recognized as a sport. While there are arguments for it being a sport, there are also arguments for it being a game of chance. Here, not everything depends on luck, skills, knowledge, endurance are also important. Although there is still some luck, not everything depends on skills.

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think poker is recognized as a sport. While there are arguments for it being a sport, there are also arguments for it being a game of chance. Here, not everything depends on luck, skills, knowledge, endurance are also important. Although there is still some luck, not everything depends on skills.

and training sometimes requires more money than other sports!:D although it seems to me that almost all sports are about money:rolleyes:

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From Wikepedia:-

"Sport pertains to any form of competitive physical activity or game that aims to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants and, in some cases, entertainment to spectators".

I think Poker falls short on physical ability criteria. But some say Poker is not a sport because there is no fitness gained from it but then again sports like Snooker are the same although Snooker does involve important hand eye co-ordination though although a computer gamer could argue the same!

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
judging by the latest trends in the world, it is quite possible - even very likely

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is already a sport, as there is a competitive spirit here.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but it’s not a sport.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but it’s not a sport.

Um.. why? You speak the truth. Poker is as much of a sport as Counter Strike is. Sports, by definition need to be physically challenging and banging the table twice to check, isn't really that hard.

Edit: and before anyone jumps on it, no, I don't consider Chess a sport either.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Poker is not sport. I seat couple hours. Chess is also not sport for me. Thinking brain-games.

cardcounter

cardcounter

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think poker is a kind of sport. It is like chess, a sport for the brain and you need a good fitness-level to stay focused after a long time on the tables.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion it will never be, because in a sport the main factor is skill, which is achieved with a lot of discipline and repetition. What doesn't happen in poker ... there is no point in practicing studying, making the right move when the luck factor or "bad luck" has a very high weight on the player's performance. So I find it very hypocritical on the part of people who live on the basis of marketing, to be nurturing dreams, investing time and money in something that doesn’t depend exclusively on technique and performance. of the main characteristics of the "sport" mainly individual. except for some team sports ... but you never say Nadal was champion 3 times but was lucky, Or tennis player was champion against nadal but it was lucky ... Or Nadal was unlucky and got the vice championship. The answer will always be played badly and lost, it wasn't right ended up making mistakes ... So poker has an advantage over the sport, an amateur can become a champion exclusively by luck overnight. And definitely it doesn't happen in any "fair" sport, it is this factor that makes poker so unfair and frustrating.

I agree with you, however in Poker you can bluff and this is related to aggressivity, not physically indeed, however is part of a sport.

But, down deep I don´t consider Poker a sport for the same reasons you don´t do it, however I´ll still play because I love it.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, poker is considered as a sports because it is played for entertainment, is competitive, and almost always requires both physical and mental prowess in order to consistently play and win at the highest levels.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont really think that anything that has a little bit of gamble in it can consider a sport but i would like to watch poker in olymics