Will poker as a sport participate in Olympic Games some day?

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that with organization it could be done, although it is very complex.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The word to emphasize is if, since poker being a sport is still, somewhat, up for debate, imo. It's a card game for sure but I think that's where it ends. I don't wear a helmet or any other protective gear, I don't worry about gratuitous injuries, I don't pay $100+ to go enjoy a nice, brisk lap along the river side...
That's the long answer.
Short one; no.

seiya1989

seiya1989

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The word to emphasize is yes, since poker is still a sport that is still, in some ways, subject to debate, in my opinion. It's a safe card game, but I think that's where it ends. I don't wear a helmet or any other protective equipment, I don't worry about unnecessary injuries, I don't pay more than $100 to enjoy a pleasant and energetic ride along the riverbank...
That's the long answer.
A short one; No.
Hello, chess was strongly considered for it to be an Olympic sport in Paris 2024, and neither is a helmet used nor are you at risk of injury, just mental exhaustion just like in poker greetings

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I get mentally exhausted in the checkout line at the grocery store; I don't think I deserve a medal. Although...

akhilbansal

akhilbansal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think... if we can take the gambling aspect out of poker, or at least reduce the impact it has on the outcome. I seriously think MTTs can be a true mental sport if we distribute the prize more evenly and to a wider field to discourage gambling and encourage more patient and skilled play.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
There is higher chance to see pc games (like LoL, Dota, CSgo, Starcraft and such) be at the Olympics then we have a chance to see Poker there.
The majority of world population still sees Poker as gambling and I just don't see them promoting such games on such an event. Fact is that Poker is, while being heavily dependent on players actions, still a game of chance and you can't really change it out of that. Then it wouldn't be poker anymore.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Small technical point.

Using the search function before you post will often reveal the matter has been raised and discussed (with hundreds of comments) previously.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I find it very difficult, if chess has not yet entered, then poker, but who knows in the future, chess itself already has its own Olympics

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think it will be possible in the future because this game is very popular and makes a lot of money so everything is possible someday we'll see poker like the Olympics, I hope we'll get to that point and enjoy it and say now I'm an Olympic poker champion and get another medal for it

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is under review for the next one.
It won't be complex, it will be a team game, like our league.
It's possible.

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't know if this is right or wrong, but poker is recognized as a sports discipline in Ukraine. Perhaps one day it will become an Olympic discipline.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If the cards in poker were much heavier, then the question of participation in the Olympic Games would be relevant.

drinker

drinker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't think that poker will ever be recognized as an Olympic sport. I believe that poker is not a sport, for me poker is primarily a game of chance.

O

OstroLB

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I find it difficult for poker to be a sport or of any kind because it is a betting game so it is unviable to be a sport this is my opinion

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
maybe poker for the olympic games is an incredible thing, but as a sport it is quite realistic to take into account live games, a billion factors affect how you play, from your appearance to actions. I want to add to the first message that luck also has a lot of weight in poker, because there are times when players win tournaments without understanding what they are doing, albeit at low limits, but still. precisely because luck in poker counts more than in other sports, I think it's unbelievable

C

ChuckNola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess isn’t an Olympic game neither is Bowling. So no Poker doesn’t have a chance at being an Olympic game

poweROFLuck

poweROFLuck

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Gambling with also luck factor hmmm can't be an Olympic game. Don't forget olympics started for athletics 💪

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
it seems to me that this will never happen, just poker is a special sport

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
If it is, yes... should participate.

But is not (a sport) - personaly for me.

(Poker can only be called a "sport" in a figurative sense.)

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so, because poker is a game of chance, it's more about luck.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I heard that there's another game currently under review to be adopted into the next Winter Olympics and I actually heard about this while over at my neighbor's house. There was a group there congregating while deeply engaged in thought and the topic of discussion was about bringing the game Minecraft into the Olympics. (one of them actually thought if perhaps they changed the games name to 'Min'd'craft' they would have a much better chance for having multiple events). By the end of the meeting it sounded like this was a go for the next Winter Olympics.

Did I mention that the average age of group participant was 7yrs. old? To be fair, the oldest one was 10 and she did have some great ideas.

I got a Gold medal in Mindcraft! This is pure gold!

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Don't think it will ever be an Olympic sport. Too many variations of Tournaments and it probably wouldn't work, especially those that are playing the same game over a period of days.
Could work out too complicated, with the amount of participants from one country.

Top 10 Games