Should Poker be an Olympic Sport?

A

analudias

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good question...poker requires strategy, intelligence, study your opponents, understand how the game is going on...like other sports.
So, what´s your oppinion...should poker be an Olympic Sport?
Remember that: prizes will be medals, worldwide fame, but no money (you will receive money only if your country´s olympic committee or your country´s government do that).

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Would be excellent

It would be great, skateboarding turned because not poker
:deal::icon_sant:icon_sant:icon_sant:icon_sant

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Tournament poker is a sport already in some countries. It's a game of skill after all. But Olympic sport? I don't think so.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds reasonable, but how do you determine the weight classes???? LOL

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't consider poker a sport, so my answer is no.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that it is good idea to make poker Olympic game. For me - Olympic sport is about physical conditions and physical competition, not about thinking) For example - chess is also not an Olympic sport. Another think that for me will be is not good for poker to be Olympic - Olympic games held once in 4 years(for specific sport). Winning or lousing is really serious think - not a level of winning yearly or monthly tournament - it's about working for 4 years. You will have only one chance in 4 years to get Olympic poker gold medal. And what will you think about poker, when you or your idol player will get bad beat?)
In my opinion - poker is more about long distance, not about one-time win. So we can't give all players the same chances for winning, and I have no idea how to do it in any short-term competition.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would be super good if it was an Olympic sport out of poker. (Slowly, E-Sport will become an Olympic game, so poker could become an Olympic sport.)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The idea is certainly good and I support, but professionals are not allowed to the Olympic Games.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The idea is certainly good and I support, but professionals are not allowed to the Olympic Games.
Actually, professional athletes are allowed to participate in the Olympics. As far as I know the only sports where professionals are not allowed are boxing and wrestling.

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is possible to be an Olympic sport some day with chess and go. Because AI demonstrated poker is not just a gamble but a strategical game using brain. If it's just a gamble with out any relationship with strategy, AI couldn't beat human.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Come on people poker an Olympic sport? Then can we make beer pong one too? Oh and jello wrestling?

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't Olympic sports require physical exertion? Lifting, running, jumping, or some other physical activity?

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No I don't think poker should be an Olympic Sport. I think Chess would be an Olympic Sport before poker ever was. And no I don't think Chess should be an Olympic Sport either. To me these games are games of the mind. Where Olympic Sports are games of the body. Granted you do a lot of thinking in most sports. But poker and chess are not physical at all therefore I believe that they are not sports.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess isnt so cant see how poker would be

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, no way. I like poker very much, this is my favorite game but including poker to the Olympic Games is really incredible. Sport is Sport, Poker is Poker. There are a lot of Championships and Events for poker so should be good enough.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is a great game , why not ?? I would like them to add it some day to the Olympic schedule , expend a little the meaning of the sport and add it . There are some useless games , which are considered as sports and are being played in the Olympics , especially during the Winter Olympics , poker has so many fans when these strange sports have fans counted in the fingers of a dozen of people , or one person , lol

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion not, despite all the strategic issues of the game, I don't consider it a sport. But I also don't consider chess a sport and it's considered ...

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a sport. Therefore, it should be an Olympic sport

M

maxmaster10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is sport like a chess ( mental games) so, i guess yes!

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Come on people poker an Olympic sport? Then can we make beer pong one too? Oh and jello wrestling?

They have just included break dancing in the 2024 Paris Olympics, so I suppose anything is possible. However, I don't think poker will ever be included in the Olympics.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kind of a moot point - the Olympics wants to keep as much distance between itself and gambling as possible, so even if they did consider "mind sports" (like chess) you'd still never see poker added.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely say it's no and poker is not considered to be sport at all. Where is the physical ability in poker?