Why Are So Many Against Showing Their Cards?

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't show for the simple reason that it removes uncertainty in the mind of an opponent. Sometimes opponents show me their cards to brag, such as, "I just raised you and got you to fold when I had 27o" or they show themselves folding 27o as a good fold... whatever the reason and whatever the situation, all of these things give me information, and not the kind that they are probably intending to give.

For example, I may now have a better idea of their bluff raising amount and deduce how they play monsters from that and unlock their entire playing style. There may be the odd occasion when a player is smart enough to try to make me think that but generally speaking if a stranger is showing cards it tends to be a sign of weakness that they are unaware of the level of.

It's a different situation if all of the players at the table know each-other very well, or are playing for fun, or with someone else playing for fun, or if you yourself are just playing for fun and don't care about the stakes or winning in the session much. Even if it is only a 10% chance that showing is bad, there may be an even less per cent chance that showing is good. If you don't know it is better to not assume unless you are intentionally risking and experimenting.

Last edited:
NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards because you wanna keep your opponents in the dark.

prw18

prw18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once in a great while I will bluff and show someone who is super aggressive just to tilt them and watch them spew off the rest of their chips because they can't handle being wrong but most times I don't show because I'm aware that most of the regulars I play with have poker tracking software and any extra information they have can be used against me to take my money. As a rule, I rarely show.

aurafm

aurafm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do people want to know it so bad? I find it quite annoying mostly when you don't know the person. When I play live real poker some guys keep asking me these things but I don't see them ask others guys the same questions.
I only tell when I'm with friends and we kind of help each other out with some strategies. Otherwise, I believe you need to observer your opponents and take conclusions from that.