Why people prefer Texas Holdem to Omaha?

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think HE the edge over fish by regs is easier to create compared to Omaha, here more popular.

In Omaha, no one starting hand is more than 65 percent favorite over another unless in extreme circumstances?

HE is usually at least 60-40 more commonly 70-30

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think HE the edge over fish by regs is easier to create compared to Omaha, here more popular.

In Omaha, no one starting hand is more than 65 percent favorite over another unless in extreme circumstances?

HE is usually at least 60-40 more commonly 70-30
Its true the equities are alot closer in Omaha Preflop but where the real money is lost is when fish are drawing very thin on the flop for their entire stack because they flop 2 pairs or hit on the turn with a weak straight and no redraws and are willing to stack off.:eek:

S

short stacker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think because people just start out playing hold em first because they here of it firsst once they get adapted to that its hard for them/me to adapt to anything diffrent

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Omaha H/L is my favorite game. Having said that, I feel Texas Holdem is less complicated, more straight forward, so it's more appealing, IMO.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too much variance in PLO for me........

quintass

quintass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A silly answer for a silly question. Its a better game! :eek:

Kenzie

Kenzie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have no idea how much I've bugged my friends about trying Omaha and they're just not interested, it's NLHE or nothing for them.

They're definitely missing out for several reasons.

1) 6 different starting hands instead of only having 1.

2) I have a chance of making several hands, making my drawing power greater.

3) Less chance of being rivered.

4) A straight on the board in Hold'em, all the players split if no one has a higher straight. Doesn't happen in Omaha.

5) Omaha involves more skill, at least at the beginner level.

6) Omaha has an amazing straight possibility system.

7) I’m sure Omaha is full of bad beats as well but I’ve never felt worse about losing a hand when it was a 4 card luck flush or straight that my opponent wasn’t even going for.

8) Omaha doesn't reward bad play as often as Hold'em does. Playing with beginners in NLHE frustrates the hell out of me when they hit hands that almost seem impossible without unbelievable luck to win with garbage.

Omaha wins everytime for me.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with omaha winning but a few things I differ on opinion with you about would be

3) More likely to get rivered due to draws having a ton more outs than in holdem (IE 13/17 card wraps etc)

8) Important to note that in omaha a bad player can sustain a winrate a lot longer than in holdem due again to the increased variance of the game. Obviously you are also more likely to see ppl play like 80/55 and stuff and they will lose regardless but the long run is a lot longer in plo and the variance is massive so they can show profit longer while not being a great player.

7) Hard to say what a bad beat in PLO is when equities run so close.

tracyrickrobby

tracyrickrobby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
holdem is not more difficult then omaha!! i think the reason more folks like holdem is because of the simplicity!! i learned omaha hi lo before holdem and love it!! way more action!!

C

Ctrlme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Both have + and -

1) The skill gap in omaha is huge compared to that of holdem (everyone seems to know that A4o is garbage in a 3Bet pot)

2) If you are playing any lower than 50PLO then be prepared to have your bottom line killed by rake.. ie If two players go all-in in a 50PLO game preflop the pot will be $100 (minus $3 for rake). Most of the time when we do manage to get all-in equities run so close together that if you ran this 1000x then its possible that both players end up losing in the long run (very rarely happens in holdem)

3) With the introduction of 5-card PLO and some places 6-card PLO the fish tend to migrate towards the more 'novelty' factor of having more cards. Strengthening the player pool in 4-card omaha

1ofTheFellas

1ofTheFellas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The gap between bad players and good players is not nearly as wide in Holdem as it is in Omaha... So many ppl for years have been working to improve their holdem game as this is what most recreational players see on TV, etc... However, if you can develop a good skill set in Omaha, this is where there are TONS of fish, as most people are just recently starting to get into playing omaha... Sure there are fish in NLHE, but you have to realize that the vast majority of poker players began with holdem, so this is the game they have played consistantly and tried to improve at.

MargoMardus

MargoMardus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holdem is simpel and i understand it!
Omaha is too confusing at least to me :p

Randall McMurphy

Randall McMurphy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Omaha if you flop top set you can't be too comfortable. You bet, get called and just pray the flush or straight draws don't complete. And why does the board never pair in this situation? ;)

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0/8>omaha>HE. I like 0/8 becuase it has the most action, and most people are still learning this game. Always a steady flow of fish at the 0/8 tables that don't really know to play. Its easier to get ahead of the learning curve for this game becuase it still somewhat new to most people and is kind of niche game. This game will also improve your hand reading capabilities that will help you all poker variants.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most posters are saying Omaha is more difficult that HE, I agree. Ergo: The intelligent people play Omaha.

U

uarejelly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wish more people played stud.. omaha seems like more luck and is a crap shoot .. nlhe is goat

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stud is a FL game. **** FL ring games, seriously.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because Omaha will melt your ****ing face off. The swings in the game can be much more brutal than Hold Em, but if you are an action junkie it can be a fun ride. Going on a hour or two Omaha heater online is something everyone should experience in their life.

P

pocketacesa1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just cant stand splitting pots. Im greedy!

M

MK8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely because people have spent so much time playing and learning to play NLHE that it's overwhelming to think about learning a new game. However, the skrill gap in NLHE is continuing to narrow because the game has been popular for so long so it would make sense to play plo. Another major factor that people have mentioned already is that the rake for plo is so high that at small stakes games it's nearly unbeatable.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find I do better playing live PLO games, it seems people just will not fold. I don't do so great playing Hold Em ring games live but since I play mostly tournies live it's probably due to lack of experience. Also, PLO is great for the simple fact no one is folding pre so the pots are bigger and if you win 2 or 3 you can tip the dealer and leave with a nice profit.

Randall McMurphy

Randall McMurphy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because every equity calculation is for like 2/3 of the deck, you can't iso and every pot is 6-way, so you're playing +EV bingo with 6 other people every hand. It's tough to even beat rake in those conditions.

Only at the micros, $2/$4 players seeing fourth street is usually around 28%, VPIP is less. And the rake is only 3% and capped.

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha is to holdem like $6 is to $1.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules