Who Taught You How to Play?

T

tim coombes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it funny when someone asks how i learned to play poker, most of the time a person really learns on ones own. no body is going to be able to teach you how to read someone. how to tell that the person just got quads or squat. so really i learned the hard way. I learned to play by losing money and making it. and let me tell you its always nicer to make than lose.

beger80

beger80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was taught the basics of poker by my father and his buddies in their twice monthly home game that consisted mostly of seven card stud variants. I picked up NLHE when I began my own home game and it was the only game my buddies knew. I'm still learning and try to teach myself more each day. Forums, podcasts, books, and play.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think anyone taught me. I started watching poker on T:V then joined a poker site, started reading articles and books and the rest is history.

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty much self taught, that's not saying I'm any good!!! Just started to read The Theory Of Poker, so hopefully be getting better, here's hoping :jd4: fingers x'd

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some random troll in a cash table kept calling me a donkey/fish. He started posting a link in the chat window called "How to play No Limit Holdem" and told me I needed to read that.

So I did haha. Mainly reading forums and articles I learned how to play.

Also a higher roller tournament winner told me to not set mine with a quarter of my stack. That was also an eye opening experience as a beginner LOL.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My uncle taught me to play when I was very young, but when he had lost great amount of money i have decided to play poker only recreationaly

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was taught by myself and the PS school of poker, but I have never played live poker (only with my friends and only for joke).

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you enrol in the PS school of Poker?? Really fancy it, trying to do whatever it takes to up my game.

S

ScorpiusCro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I taught myself, was watching poker pro's on youtube and trying to understand the game. After that i decided to try to play poker in an online poker room.
From poker stars, Full Tilt ...

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I particularly look for the rules by internet, the scales of values ​​and I started to play by trying little by little, then I watched videos and watching the tournaments on television, then asking and acquiring my own style of play, day after day after 10 years always I say that I am still learning and trying to improve my poker style day by day.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned to play myself. Because there is Internet.

M

mikey481968

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i learned to play by my self but later on others gave me tips and when to shove when its 4 to 5 handed

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My ex-boyfriend got me playing. He played on pokerstars when we became a couple. In the beginning I was rather annoyed about it, 'cause it happened that we had a 'date' and he was still in a MTT, so had to wait and watch. After a while he said: "you should learn it, I think you'll be good at it". So he learned me the rules and some basic strategy. The first 2 years I was 'too lazy' to study it more, so I didn't really improve and just played poker ABC. After that time I started studying by myself, by watching EPT, reading blogs, watching strategy video's, go on pokerschool, ... and so on. After that I became better and my ITM rates went up. The boyfriend is gone, but poker stayed. :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
First my friends and my sister , later from tv shows , articles , videos and playing with play money :)

B

biops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mainly by myself, playing online, following Pro Players..... when i was young i´d watch one wsop on a Tv´s Channel here in brazil, and i remember until today the final winning hand (Phil Ivey with pockets 2, hitting a four of a kind on flop). I think this is the reason of my interest in poker.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great story, one of my friends taught me how to play, he was an always trying to get a poker game going and would constantly ask me to play, finally I agreed to play and once I learned the game I was hooked from there.

Farmz

Farmz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My parents taught me, then the old boys in my local working men's club.

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I learned playing on zynga, then a play money league on PS, but most of my best tips, i got here in CC forum.

M

matenq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned poker in school.
Then I have not played it for many years.

Then a few years ago Pius Heinz won WSOP. And so a friend of mine became aware of HL.
One day he asked us if we did not want to play...

And so we played a bit of poker every 8 weeks ...

Now I just pokere online ...

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The internet taught me how to play. With you tube and all the other resources out there it made my game pretty sharp.

A

avderevo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About poker I learned from a classmate. But I learned to play myself, I watched a lot of poker videos, broadcast EPT

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
i learled the rules from zynga poker on facebook and i was impessed to the poker from tv show the big game

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my granfather, i used to play him after dinner at family gathering for penny's from a very young age

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My brother met a new friend, he came around and always wanted to play poker so me and my friends got into it, started playing a lot of home games and i would always win! so i got a computer to play online at full tilt. Watched wsop and wpt all the time and just played every day all day and learned by trial and error. poker was a lot easier back then.