When you fold marginal hands but they flop trips or straights how do you feel?

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In this scenario, the marginal hands that you folded like T5 hit the flop and hands like AK AJ you end up losing. In this scenario, will you be irritated?

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No. I just try to play the logic move. Of course sometimes will hit after, but you i feel i did my best.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me this is an important issue, as it is a situation that can cause the famous tilt, think of a situation in which you receive marginal hands, which mean hands with low equity, so you fold these hands because you are not in a good position in the table, these folds often end up closing trips or straights on the flop, leaving opportunities to increase the stack, when this happens what is your reaction?

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
You are too worried about what could have happened but didn't, pay attention to a few things
How many times will you win with such a hand and how many times will you lose??? the equity you mentioned shows how often this will happen :)
If you look at the past (behind you) and not the future (ahead), you will stumble and fall (faceplant :))

You can play very weak hands, but the conditions must be right, and only then can you count on profitable playing of fancy hands

BTW I feel great because I know it was a good decision regardless of the final result

R

Reginaldo Gois

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Let's say marginal hands aren't worth it, but small pairs make me angry.

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't usually feel angry in these situations, I think I try to focus on thinking about what would happen if I didn't see the flop, the turn and the river. My decision is right

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can sting for a few seconds , but i try to stick to my standards and not be bothered much .

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Once you fold your hand just forget what you had because it doesn’t matter. Why would you tilt? Do you jump for joy when you fold 10-5 and it misses? You need to fix this if you ever want to get serious about the game. Good luck!

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Once you fold your hand just forget what you had because it doesn’t matter. Why would you tilt? Do you jump for joy when you fold 10-5 and it misses? You need to fix this if you ever want to get serious about the game. Good luck!
I mean in the sense that you fold weak hands that then hit trips or straights on the flop in hands that you folded.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not at all. Once I fold I lost and thats the end of it. Also why would I want to make a mistake and play bad hands jut to hope I win one. Poker is more skill than luck.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I wouldn't call 10 5 a marginal hand - it's just garbage that hit the flop successfully!!! Yes, in some (very rare) situations you can play with such a hand, but if you continue to enter the pot too often with such hands, then in the end you will definitely find yourself in the red!!!

I

IrishinSpain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I would only play T5 off if I was on the BB and could check. Think about how many really marginal hands you have thrown away when that one hand hit.... You most likely would not have still been in the game if you played all those types of hands earlier as you would have been out if you did

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I stopped getting angry about the strange ways hands have played out. There are literally millions of possible outcomes. Now I just shake my head and laugh (of course I don't play high stakes poker). If I was to get angry by every hand that beat me, righteously or foully, I would become very unhappy and give poker up.

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In this scenario, the marginal hands that you folded like T5 hit the flop and hands like AK AJ you end up losing. In this scenario, will you be irritated?

Usually, I feel sad, but, just after this, I remember that, if I played these hands, I probably would lose more than I would win.

So I do a little smile and try to think that this is just a funny thing of poker games...

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
There is no perfect strategy for playing marginal hands. First, early in your poker career, try to play fewer marginal hands.Secondly, with marginal hands, try not to rush the pot preflop. Their main strength lies in their ability to improve, but often marginal hands will turn into pumpkins on the flop.If you don't hit the flop, calmly part with your hand.

M

Moneyjoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
A friend told me to think about the range…
Maybe you need to change it?
Good luck

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing in a freeroll I don't get upset, in an Mtt I wouldn't play with bad hands, live don't even think about playing, you have to analyze if you play for the sake of playing, or, play with knowledge and skill

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
When i really wanted to call, but folded, sick, really sick

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I get annoyed because AJ is a strong hand that is a potential winner and T5 is a hand that should be folded.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I've gotten used to it. On the contrary, I sometimes feel funny. It's poker. In addition, it's not right to play bad hands. Also, I shouldn't care if they win so I don't get angry and make mistakes.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Annoyed, but that’s the game. Long run you are probably playing the right way however. All depends on your stack size what cards you play tho.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a game of options, including the strategy adopted, marginal hands are part of a more elastic strategy... I particularly avoid playing with this strategy, it irritates me to always make the same mistakes, deviating from the adopted strategy and losing, playing with opponents well prepared makes luck a great prerogative

seeing the previous answers I understand why the field here at CC is so tough, sometimes I win because I'm very lucky

Last edited:
recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started it made me really angry. But nowadays I know that my decision was correct, so it doesn't affect me as much.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well its not really going to make me angry, because I played a logical move. And thats just the way it is no further explanation.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Not very good, moreover rather angry. ))

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker