When you fold marginal hands but they flop trips or straights how do you feel?

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
No biggie.

Eyes on the prize.

Prize is longterm ability to keep profitable habits up.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunely it happens to everyone but how many times will you win with such a hand and how many times will you lose.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
No, I folded my hand and forgot. 72o will hit the board from time to time, but that's not a reason to play this hand all the time. If there was a fold, then it was justified.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the end of the day Poker is not about how many hands you win but about how many hands you 'didn't' lose. So you should worry about not losing.
By playing hands like T5 you are increasing the probability of losing. Over the course of a tournament or cash game section this kills you.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Totally irrelevant so I'm cool with my decision.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Without a doubt, we were left with a bad feeling. However, the most important thing in the game of poker is to make card plays with a range of hands, as well as the levels the tournament is at. Being upset is normal, but be happy if you played correctly.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just tell myself that I made the right play and get on with the game. Though if I'd considered making one of the speculative calls I'll do once or twice each game on that hand, I am very disappointed. In that case I go back to the first sentence. :)

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
It does happen - 8-12 times in 60 min

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I feel good. Sometime you play this cards and you have nuts, but in most cases you have nothing.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I feel irritated when I call with marginal hands, flop trips but the opponent flops full house and I loose my whole stack )

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When I opt for marginal hands, but experience failure in situations like you mention, my reaction is not anger, but rather informed acceptance. I understand that marginal hands carry inherent risk, and in deciding to play them, I consciously assume the possibility of facing challenges at different stages of the game.

This approach allows me to maintain a balanced and game-focused mindset for the long term. I recognize that in poker and in many other areas of life, success is not always guaranteed, even when making decisions supported by the best possible logic. Instead of focusing on the frustration of individual results, I prefer to analyze my game objectively, learning from each experience, whether positive or negative.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For me this is an important issue, as it is a situation that can cause the famous tilt, think of a situation in which you receive marginal hands, which mean hands with low equity, so you fold these hands because you are not in a good position in the table, these folds often end up closing trips or straights on the flop, leaving opportunities to increase the stack, when this happens what is your reaction?

I don't waste two seconds on it. Why would I? It'd be a complete waste of time, thought, energy & emotion.

IF I stay focused on making the best decisions for each and every given moment in the game(s), this is all I need to be concerned with. Thinking in 'should've' would've, if only, ESPECIALLY if it was connected with making a poor play (-ev), is a losing way to think.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker