What is your stance on Bots

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put in robots fault not see the mistakes, admit their own limitations is critical.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You may think this is possible, but to build a bot that can challenge even just a 'good' player would have to be really complicated - we are talking about millions of lines of code just to cover all the scenarios that can happen in a given game. Remember there are 2.5 million (appx) 5 card hands than can exist in a deck of 52 cards. Lets not even mention all of the different situations these hands can occur in. At the least you are talking 2-3 million lines of code to make a bot that is good enough to challenge good players.

Lets not forget, it took 40 years to build a computer good enough to beat the worlds best at chess, and most of the time it draws. And this computer is MASSIVE! No way there is a bot out there that I could not beat within a given (lengthy) session, as long as someone doesnt program it to hit and run lol

Most good websites - pokerstars, 888, titan, partypoker - do regular scans to make sure no one is using a bot - my recommendation do not play at a chumpy website and you will never have a problem. But again - dont fear the bots, if someone did make an AI BOT that can actually be good you wont find it at any low stake games since it probably cost $1 mill to make it.

+1 :)

Another reason these people don't chat, especially on ACR, where the freerolls start almost every 1/2 hour, is that they are probably playing multiple tournaments at once and they don't have time to read and respond to the chat. They probably don't even notice it.

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use bots and never noticed any at the table it's probably because I don't know what to look for but in poker I can't see bots getting past middle tournament or late tournament because how can a bot read the other players poker is more then luck and numbers there is a psychology to it.

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah I don't chat when I play and I'm not a bot lol lol. I dont want the distraction from my game.

I think they should not be allowed too,

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh yeah I don't chat when I play and I'm not a bot lol lol. I dont want the distraction from my game.

I think they should not be allowed too,

I think u r a bot.

I never chat because what the hell would I want to say...even if people ask me a question...I hate people

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is my problem. First they shouldnt be allowed. Period! And Everyone on Sportsbetting says if you can see a location, they are a bot. You cant get them to talk to you, and there are tons. I wrote the site, and they said they do not allow locations to be shown, and that the people are doing it from their end. That in itsself makes no sense. I just run into one/idiot that put me in everhand with junk, busting my aces. They dont always play that crazy.

What do you think?:confused:
I dont mind bots. If you are patient you can clean out a bot. I dont think AA is an all in hand online because they busted so often. If I get pocket aces I plan on them getting busted. I also find there are a few players that block chat to avoid distraction not just bots that dont talk.:D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I sometimes remark in the chat box that I am a bot.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what if we were all bots?

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope they do not exist, because it would be a bad make the Poker sport would go for site and software that decided to put robots or left the fragile software that requires colocassem, that would be terrible news for practitioners of Poker, know they were being deceived, but frankly I do not believe it.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well no one said they cant win, just that the bots dont play all that well against good players.

and since this pokernews post, PS has implemented new policies to stop this, especially since they entered the USA this is something that can no longer happen and they will do whatever they can to stop it, which is more than most sites will do

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
I vs robot

It may be that the on -line poker may under my table sit robot?

Ljuk358

Ljuk358

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are people who believe there are robots and people who not. I played heads-up tourney against player who goes all in every hand. I was waiting to monster hand.. When my opponent had 2000 and me 1000, I get AA... He push all in again, I call... He shoves JJ and river was J.... I played 3 times in one month very similar situations on Pokerstars... I think we will be never know the truth...

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there are robots in game, i actually really hope that there are no robots.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There were bots playing HU limit 7 years ago. I'd be surprised if there weren't any bots now.

I'd also be surprised if they were actually winning, though.

F

FlyingFitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times when people play super aggressive and keep winning - the people loosing think they are bots. I have even felt it on many occasions - my solution to that is to try to chat to the person you feel is a bot and if you get a reply most likely not a bot. No reply - maybe a bot or just an ignorant player - hard to say for sure.

A

allamericanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BOTS

I don't use bots and never noticed any at the table it's probably because I don't know what to look for but in poker I can't see bots getting past middle tournament or late tournament because how can a bot read the other players poker is more then luck and numbers there is a psychology to it.
.....Other than not being able to chat , does a bot have any tells ? Meaning , how can you recognize that you are playing a bot ?

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is always someone trying to get an edge in the game or cheat so I do believe it can be possible for bots to be playing online. Although just not talking doesn't say anything, I usually don't like to chat at the tables. Oh a lot of software out there as well that would do the work for you so unless all sites ban HUDs the game will be more fair I think.

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think u r a bot.

I never chat because what the hell would I want to say...even if people ask me a question...I hate people

lol I been cursed out on chat and still don't answer everyone is different On some sites it is disabled so I wouldn't even know if someone is talking to me.

I'm playing to win not talk if I want to talk I will call you on the phone. 🎅

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

And you know, whatever, people are going to cheat in everything; poker, politics, sales, sports - its the human way - and if someones version of cheating is using a bot that plays the most basic of poker - then good! Believe me there has been WAY WAY more than 1.5mil lost in other forms of cheating.

But I stand by that PokerStars and 888 will not have bot problems going forward and should be the only two sites you should play on - otherwise (myself included cause I play BCP and Bovada) buyer beware anywhere else

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
http://mitpokerbots.com/

Even the top regs can't play 200 tables at once. Bots can. If they have a winning algorithm that's fine if they're implementing using their own hands. When someone runs a bot exploiting way more people than they should be able to, I start to see a big problem.

If it's against the rules, then it's immoral in my eyes to use one. Even though you could argue it's still your poker knowledge that's making the decisions, the bot would make way more decisions than a human could.

If it's a bot tournament or a site that explicitly allows bots, it's fair game. Just as long as people know what they're up against.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
http://mitpokerbots.com/

Even the top regs can't play 200 tables at once. Bots can. If they have a winning algorithm that's fine if they're implementing using their own hands. When someone runs a bot exploiting way more people than they should be able to, I start to see a big problem.

If it's against the rules, then it's immoral in my eyes to use one. Even though you could argue it's still your poker knowledge that's making the decisions, the bot would make way more decisions than a human could.

If it's a bot tournament or a site that explicitly allows bots, it's fair game. Just as long as people know what they're up against.

You know this is why I like this site, I have not thought of this before and is a great point.
I remember a case where I think it was either FT or PS and they made a poker player prove he was able to play 20 SNGS at once with video support too (he did it), I am not aware if this kind of play is still monitored (since this case was like 8 years ago) but i would hope at least PokerStars and possibly 888 would be flagging these accounts for suspicion if an inordinate amount of tables were being played by one user.
Tough to say, but as much as they are cheats and bad for the game, I would not fear them