What You Never Say At A Poker Table

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never say you're holding a extra ace under your sleeve :)

D

dznootz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do converse about random things other than the poker being played. Usually big mouths get called out at a higher rate than others so it can be used as a tool. Guess it all depends how you want to play.

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they are hudini

You hear players say "I had to call" and "I knew he had it" a lot. What does it mean when they do?

LOL nah They range out your hand with the draw. so when they have 2 pair and they see 3 suits with 2 otheres and maybe a 56710A on the board they assume u have a 9 or and two cards that makes that flush and then they think that they are physic when its clearly obvious that its that in your hand or BS. It makes them feel good to see that they were right or close. with them telling u that they are just trying to make u fold to them later cause they dont want to get bluffed out.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't believe in never to anything , but you should almost never admit to losing badly . Strong, thinking players may adjust . If you are obviously tilt , its easy to get in more trouble . If you are calm + composed they may see you have tightened your range . They may bluff you with increased frequency and make good folds when you take aggressive action . Even your weak opponents could become inspired !

JulioJones

JulioJones

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never say that you haven't showered in a few days because you have been on an online poker binge.

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never say "sorry". Cuz i am not sorry if that cards worked well for me! :)

BLACKSOLDIER

BLACKSOLDIER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to keep it light and polite dont talk like Maùrice Hawkins.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
He had the pot odds to call or he was pot committed . When the V's is bet is very small and you can call to see your small hand or A high hand maybe :confused: . For the second , ofcourse I knew he had the best hand .

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

hello and marry x mas.For me the aborted words of poker is ''Sorry''.You cant say sorry if your are playing poker because your purpose is to win all chips .Also i hate when someone says i knew your hand but i folded at your bluff.Happy new year 2017 <3

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is common vocabulary for newbies and non-pros. They know they are beaten, yet, they still call or do moves they are not supposed to do.

It means that a player is not experienced enough and needs to be reassured that his gut-feeling is right. So he pays (calls) to see the hand if he was right. And I think all of us have had a time when we were like that all the time. After paying lots of money and having assuring experience, there is a time when we are able to read the cards and fold when it is time to do so.

miric007

miric007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This means that I paid to make sure in his style of play, after he easily take the chips if you know his opponent's tactics!

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think the worst kind of player is the one who thinks he can teach everybody, and likes to criticize plays made by the other players. And acting this way, giving a lot of information about how he plays.
They like to do it specially when they are caught in a trap. I heard so many times: "But this bet size is ridiculous, wtf, you never limp KK!". Most of times I did it just thinking about how the villain plays. But I control myself and never say it on the table. :laugh:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You hear players say "I had to call" and "I knew he had it" a lot. What does it mean when they do?

It means"I am embarrassed I just played my hand that way and want to make you think I am not as bad as I just proved I was."

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never played live game before... and in online game I usually dont talk on chat :p

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally the mutterings of a loser, who thought he was a winner.

Z

zannie27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think "Sorry" is something you don't say at a Poker table.. It's usually said after an all in post flop and there's a sweat till river.. To me it's a passive aggressive in your face.. I mean most of the time the hand could've gone in the other direction and if they were really sorry they should return your chips.. Just saying... LOL

Douglas Gonzaga

Douglas Gonzaga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a social game, and players sometimes talk about the table. These conversations can sometimes be unconscious, but sometimes they are directly related to the game. There are a few ways for you to handle the conversations at the table.

To ignore

Consider cases where someone asks you something casual, like, "Where are you from?". Education has never hurt anyone, and it's only good for you to be well educated with other people, assuming you're not involved in the hand. If you are right in the middle of making a decision, it is perfectly acceptable that you should not answer any questions you may have or say anything other than the basic slang of the game

Hear

Many times someone who is talking to you is actually trying to extract information, but you can learn a lot from him as he does with you. Notice how this person talks to others during a hand and try to see the patterns.

Also, listen carefully to what they say about your playing. They are practically giving you a written guide on how to play against them.

Answer

You can also respond to your opponents. If you do, be sure to be controlled. Do not respond with anger or frustration as this tells other players that you are making mistakes and that it is a good time to invest against you. You can also respond with ironies, but always calm, giving a little joy to the opponent. It is best not to try this option too often as it is difficult to hide our emotions when we are on high pressure ..

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
"Wanna kiss after this?"
"You are not an idiot"
"You are not about to be Shrek's best friend"

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck