What to Teach My 14 y/o Son

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most important thing for him to learn is manage life not poker skills. This is very crucial stage, try to explore what other things he is interested in or good at. You are the only person who can wisely tell him that poker is not a lucrative career for 90% of people playing around the world. Explore this option but not at cost of education or other fields he may be good or interested in.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to teach him to make bankroll from freerolls and then try to teach him how to play tournaments with buy in where every blind level is longer.

Teach him bankroll management and allow him to play freerolls and playmoney.
I started off with playmoney at age of 14
I like this idea. It also teaches your son responsibility and to play within his budget. It seems that BRM is perhaps the most difficult part of poker.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Teach him how to be a good human being, we need more in the world.

my advice better to teach him playing a sport or something he likes as a hobby....

This, ^^^^^

:top:

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask him what his favourite things to do are. If anything else is before Poker accept that as the first thing he needs acceptance or emotional support or at least no negativity in pursuing.

If it still is Poker after that then the best thing is to show him how to achieve big goals through small goals in Poker. For example, if he wants to make $100, to start with making $1 consistently, then $10, etc... and to go back down the levels similarly when stuck.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. gambling at age 14 is too small. It is not necessary to expose a child to the game, it can have a bad effect on his psychoemotional state. it's my opinion.
Tone it down Dr. Phil, we are talking about a card game here.

I think most important thing for him to learn is manage life not poker skills. This is very crucial stage, try to explore what other things he is interested in or good at. You are the only person who can wisely tell him that poker is not a lucrative career for 90% of people playing around the world. Explore this option but not at cost of education or other fields he may be good or interested in.
Again, A card game.

Ask him what his favourite things to do are. If anything else is before Poker accept that as the first thing he needs acceptance or emotional support or at least no negativity in pursuing.

If it still is Poker after that then the best thing is to show him how to achieve big goals through small goals in Poker. For example, if he wants to make $100, to start with making $1 consistently, then $10, etc... and to go back down the levels similarly when stuck.
His son is interested in his fathers interests, what better way to bond with a teenage son.

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. gambling at age 14 is too small. It is not necessary to expose a child to the game, it can have a bad effect on his psychoemotional state. it's my opinion.

As my original post stated, if you MUST insist on a moral argument, instead please share when and how you learned to play the game.

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Introducing someone to poker is like introducing them to cocaine. This game can be a serious parasite on your finances. There are way more losers than winners.The game is difficult,complex and in a poisonous environment.

Teach it to him as a hobby and teach him the value of a $1 dollar.Never go "pro" or you'll be in hell.

Good points, both; I'd like to think that if I give him some meaningful lessons (that he takes to heart) he can be the winner amongst other novice players and just have fun winning their $20 buy-ins. As to the value of a dollar, well, that's a completely different lesson in the "living life best" category that we've been teaching since he was conceived :-D

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday, 1:18 PM
gogadgetdx
What to teach my 14 y/o son
He has shown an interest in playing poker (whether by observing me or his high school buddies I don't know), and I figure I may as well give him a head start - no doubt some or many of these kids he'll play with are basically dead money.

The question is: what should I teach him first? Where should I start?

Obviously, assume that the moral implications of whether I should encourage him or not in the first place are non-starters. If you really can't overcome the moral dilemma of the question, please share when and how you first learned to play.

What to teach him first? Hmmmmm. I know. Use a water based lube and always wear protection. Never go all in without these and AA... Even then the outcome is NOT 100%.

:D :cool:

Yeah, for sure! Bullets are just about as fragile as anything! Then again, 4 out of 5 times they're not - teaching him to manage his bankroll, emotional state and understanding his odds should encourage him to shrug off the bad beats and reload for a bigger win next time!

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played since I was 13/14 but only small family games and occasionally my dad would let me place in little 10 cent tournaments. I just had a passion for the game and playing even just for a small amount of money made it feel more real.

Sounds like a perfect introduction to the game! Did your old man continually teach you how to play better?

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Wish I could "like" this post; I appreciate the perspective you bring to this conversation!

When and how did you learn the game?

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Teach him how to be a good human being, we need more in the world.

This, ^^^^^

:top:

We do, for sure. But that wasn't the point of the thread. Would you share when and how you learned to play the game?

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Great thoughts - thank you!

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Again, A card game.

His son is interested in his fathers interests, what better way to bond with a teenage son.

Boom!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My personal opinion, you should forbid your 14-year-old son to take cards in hands to 21 years.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My personal opinion, you should forbid your 14-year-old son to take cards in hands to 21 years.
I think this is spot on, forbid him from playing any card games, I hear "Go Fish" can wreak havoc on his psychoemotional state:rolleyes:

troderick

troderick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first teach him about girls...then about poker...then teach him patience when dealing with both.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
teach poker to be a sport that requires math skills, patience, discipline and responsibility

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is spot on, forbid him from playing any card games, I hear "Go Fish" can wreak havoc on his psychoemotional state:rolleyes:

Most definitely! He's also prohibited from crossing the road by himself!:D

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I my early 30's out of boredom. Through ZYNGA Poker.

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His question seems to be more towards building a career for his son not just father son bonding over a card game!

Again, A card game.

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has shown an interest in playing poker (whether by observing me or his high school buddies I don't know), and I figure I may as well give him a head start - no doubt some or many of these kids he'll play with are basically dead money.

The question is: what should I teach him first? Where should I start?

Obviously, assume that the moral implications of whether I should encourage him or not in the first place are non-starters. If you really can't overcome the moral dilemma of the question, please share when and how you first learned to play.

I would say teaching him from your own experience would be a good start. Playing the free rolls and with play money but having you spend some time beside him explaining things, pointing out things and answering any questions he may have while playing. This would allow you to observe his strengths and weaknesses all while getting some quality father son time. I wish him good luck [emoji6]

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His question seems to be more towards building a career for his son not just father son bonding over a card game!
When your children get older, they hang out with their friends more often, especially in their teens and if he can find bonding time with a teenager, he has to take it.

Society is becoming a bunch of oversensitive whiny little b***hes, if a man wants to bond with HIS child over a game of cards, A GAME OF CARDS, then he will.

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a suggestion to check his interest level in other things, I played card sames with my father and cousins even when I was 8 so I know what bonding you are talking about.

Don't know about society, I know someone in this forum who is being oversensitive and bit@#$ing about others opinion. You don't like it ignore it. If that person did not like, he will ignore too.

Calm Down! Play Poker!

When your children get older, they hang out with their friends more often, especially in their teens and if he can find bonding time with a teenager, he has to take it.

Society is becoming a bunch of oversensitive whiny little b***hes, if a man wants to bond with HIS child over a game of cards, A GAME OF CARDS, then he will.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure he learns other marketing skills, too...